The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeSacMagique
The statistics are what Cambridge themselves say: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/requirements.pdf

But at the same time I agree. The interview can more than compensate for ostensibly poor (for Cambridge) UMS or GCSEs.

Those are mean, not median values. The distribution is going to be non-Gaussian, so the two are not equal.

I think the link spells it out very clearly though - these 90% and 95% figures are really meaningless for any individual applicant considering their own application.

If someone wants to compare themselves to the mean they're useful, but how you compare to the mean doesn't actually tell you anything about your chances of getting in.

All these figures do is put good applicants off applying to Cambridge. You want to know what message Cambridge want to get out about their admissions process - it's in the bullet points section.
Original post by The Mr Z
Those are mean, not median values. The distribution is going to be non-Gaussian, so the two are not equal.

I think the link spells it out very clearly though - these 90% and 95% figures are really meaningless for any individual applicant considering their own application.

If someone wants to compare themselves to the mean they're useful, but how you compare to the mean doesn't actually tell you anything about your chances of getting in.

All these figures do is put good applicants off applying to Cambridge. You want to know what message Cambridge want to get out about their admissions process - it's in the bullet points section.

You're preaching to the choir!
Hello people,

First of all, this is my very first post on TSR, so if I do something wrong, bear with me and notify me!

I am a Dutch student who aspires to study at Cambridge University (Natural Sciences). I looked up what Cambridge expects from Dutch applicants, and I found this: 'Applicants from the Netherlands would be expected to achieve an overall score of 8,0 to 8,5 with scores up to 9 in up to three specified subjects.' Currently, I have a 9 in seven subjects, and the rest are all 8. In my eyes, that is a WHOLE lot better than they ask for. I also have an FCE diploma (A) and next year I'll do my CPE (I'm expected to ace that one too). My high school is in the top 5 in the Netherlands, but I don't know if they have ever sent any students to an Ivy League or to Oxbridge, we have a lot of incredibly gifted students, however, most of them go to Dutch universities, as they aren't bad at all (TU Delft is endorsed by our school, most of you probably haven't heard of it).

My question is, what does Cambridge look at? My grades are good enough, but that can't be the only thing. I heard that Cambridge doesn't look at extracurriculars. Is that true? What DO they look at?
Original post by LineOfView
Hello people,

First of all, this is my very first post on TSR, so if I do something wrong, bear with me and notify me!

I am a Dutch student who aspires to study at Cambridge University (Natural Sciences). I looked up what Cambridge expects from Dutch applicants, and I found this: 'Applicants from the Netherlands would be expected to achieve an overall score of 8,0 to 8,5 with scores up to 9 in up to three specified subjects.' Currently, I have a 9 in seven subjects, and the rest are all 8. In my eyes, that is a WHOLE lot better than they ask for. I also have an FCE diploma (A) and next year I'll do my CPE (I'm expected to ace that one too). My high school is in the top 5 in the Netherlands, but I don't know if they have ever sent any students to an Ivy League or to Oxbridge, we have a lot of incredibly gifted students, however, most of them go to Dutch universities, as they aren't bad at all (TU Delft is endorsed by our school, most of you probably haven't heard of it).

My question is, what does Cambridge look at? My grades are good enough, but that can't be the only thing. I heard that Cambridge doesn't look at extracurriculars. Is that true? What DO they look at?

Officially Cambridge admit based on Academic ability but as there is so much competition unless you are miles ahead of the competition academically then having straights is unlikely to be of any advantages as that is the norm, which is why in most situations they consider your application holistically - What you heard about them not liking extra curricular activities is wrong... although you need to understand that just because you can play the guitar quite well or have done charity work or played tennis regionally does not really make or break your application - Think of extra curriculars as icing on the cake, they won't do you any harm but they are not of primary or even secondary concern.

Thats all I have to say really...good luck, its not easy getting in regardless if your a home or international student. BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IF YOU DONT TRY.

E: Someone please explain why the neg rep? You're not being constructive by clicking reps...
(edited 11 years ago)
Just grades, really. Grades, ability and passion for your subject.
Original post by freedomyak

Thats all I have to say really...good luck, its not easy getting in regardless if your a home or international student. BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IF YOU DONT TRY.

Are Dutch students actually seen as international students? I thought they weren't, as Holland is in the EU.
Reply 9126
I stand by my point 'The issue is that the A2 grades are not the barrier. The main barrier is getting the offer. '

Thinking hitting the standard offer grade at A2 is the target will just result in disappointment. The key is getting the offer.
Reply 9127
My GSCE grades as a whole don't look that amazing as a whole [4A*,3A,4B] but the ones I got my A*s and As in are the subjects that I wish to continue for A Levels, (A* in maths, A* in chemistry, A* in music and As in Biology and Physics). I am going to do maths, chemistry, music and either biology or physics at A Level. Do you think my overall GCSE range will lower my chances of an interview or because I did well in what I wish to continue, will my likelihood of an interview be the same?? :?
Original post by limid19
My GSCE grades as a whole don't look that amazing as a whole [4A*,3A,4B] but the ones I got my A*s and As in are the subjects that I wish to continue for A Levels, (A* in maths, A* in chemistry, A* in music and As in Biology and Physics). I am going to do maths, chemistry, music and either biology or physics at A Level. Do you think my overall GCSE range will lower my chances of an interview or because I did well in what I wish to continue, will my likelihood of an interview be the same?? :?

Provided you get good UMS at AS they should have very little influence and would not be a reason by themselves for you to not get an interview.

What subject might you do at University? Subject choice can be very important-for example NatSci needs another science ideally, Maths is helped by Physics.
Original post by limid19

At Cambridge GCSEs have very limited impact on your application (I'm not going to say none to err on the side of caution, but it's really minor)

Also almost all applicants get an interview, so they wont affect that at all.

Oxford places much more importance on GCSEs than Cambridge, and interview far fewer people, but even then good performance on the Oxford aptitude tests can still secure an interview in spite of poor GCSEs.

Regarding your AS choices though, what do you want to apply for? For Physical Sciences courses (Physics, Chemistry and Engineering) it's highly advisable that you do Further Maths if at all possible. It's less important for Biological Sciences, and absolutely essential for Mathematics.
Thank you for the reply on my last question.

This one is for my friend who also plans on applying but for the Physics Nat sci.

During A-level choices he was fairly set on studying Chemistry and chose AS Chem, Physics, Maths, Geography (and like me, Critical thinking).

However he has now pretty set on a physical pathway in Nat Sci but we (To be honest mostly me lol) are worried that he did not take AS Further Maths and was wondering to the extent of how much it will affect his application. However on the plus side:

He is very intelligent, on track for 95% UMS including a 97% Maths UMS in his subjects. He is also taking AS further maths next year.

Is this enough to dismiss any worries about not taking AS FM in the first place?
Original post by Alex Bampton
Thank you for the reply on my last question.

This one is for my friend who also plans on applying but for the Physics Nat sci.

During A-level choices he was fairly set on studying Chemistry and chose AS Chem, Physics, Maths, Geography (and like me, Critical thinking).

However he has now pretty set on a physical pathway in Nat Sci but we (To be honest mostly me lol) are worried that he did not take AS Further Maths and was wondering to the extent of how much it will affect his application. However on the plus side:

He is very intelligent, on track for 95% UMS including a 97% Maths UMS in his subjects. He is also taking AS further maths next year.

Is this enough to dismiss any worries about not taking AS FM in the first place?

On the SAQ he will have to tell them what modules he is taking next year anyway, so they will know he is doing AS FM. If he has strong UMS in maths then this wont be a substantial hindrance.

Cambridge do not require further maths because some schools do not offer it, either at all or not as a full A2. At schools where it is offered to not take it at all would be viewed with some concern, but if he is taking AS then it will be acceptable, especially if his AS maths can indicate clear mathematical ability.
Reply 9132
My school says not to apply to oxbridge with less than 8 A*s and 2 As which seems to me to be ridiculous. I have one more exam left and have been predicted:

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

My school is pretty academic so would only give the best references to 10 A* candidates, could I still get in if I succeed in AS? (History, maths, English lit, economics)
Original post by Debate
My school says not to apply to oxbridge with less than 8 A*s and 2 As which seems to me to be ridiculous. I have one more exam left and have been predicted:

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

My school is pretty academic so would only give the best references to 10 A* candidates, could I still get in if I succeed in AS? (History, maths, English lit, economics)

your school is full of it. If you want to apply, apply.
Reply 9134
Original post by Debate

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

Your school are idiots. Seriously? 7 A*'s are MORE than enough to get in. Geez, if someone had 5 A*'s and great A-Levels I would still stay go for it! There is NO specific amount of A*'s needed. They do look at it, but it's not like 'if you don't have X amount don't bother applying. It's not all about grades, it's about your interests too! Geez!
Original post by Debate

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

Your school is wrong for Cambridge - GCSEs are not a significant consideration for applications, AS UMS marks are the major exam consideration.
Also, even if they did consider GCSES the level required would not be that high - Oxford put more importance on GCSEs and they say 60% A*s is a very good standard.

What course do you want to apply for?
Original post by Debate

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

Yeah, your school is very wrong. I go to a school which does very well, got 2 A*s at GCSE (definitely below average in my year) and it wasn't a problem.

(Unless you want to apply for medicine in which case their advice might be more reasonable.)
Reply 9137
Original post by The Mr Z
Your school is wrong for Cambridge - GCSEs are not a significant consideration for applications, AS UMS marks are the major exam consideration.
Also, even if they did consider GCSES the level required would not be that high - Oxford put more importance on GCSEs and they say 60% A*s is a very good standard.

What course do you want to apply for?

I'm considering applying for PPE or English but haven't made up my mind yet, thank you everybody for your advice. I think I'm going to assume that I'm going to apply no matter what the school tells me. Who knows, maybe I'll get my results back in August and I got 10 A*s or maybe it will say 10 Cs..Only time will tell I guess. I posted before my mock results which I took in January, which were last years papers. I got really complacent so didn't revise much so not sure if I've improved since then..
Original post by Debate
I'm considering applying for PPE or English but haven't made up my mind yet, thank you everybody for your advice. I think I'm going to assume that I'm going to apply no matter what the school tells me. Who knows, maybe I'll get my results back in August and I got 10 A*s or maybe it will say 10 Cs..Only time will tell I guess. I posted before my mock results which I took in January, which were last years papers. I got really complacent so didn't revise much so not sure if I've improved since then..

Ok - just to clarify, only Oxford offers PPE, Cambridge offers Economics or HSPS. However your AS choices are good for any of those courses though.
Hi there, this question might be asked before in different shape or form. Im in the process of doing my Fast track A levels(Maths, Further Maths, Physics). My question is if i able to achieve good grades(i.e A*A*A or A*AA) will that be enough to get in to engineering degree in Cambridge or Imperial( with my 5 years aviation engineering experience in British Army) or do i need gleaming GCSE with that as well. I did my GCSE Equivalent 12 years ago(Im 29 BTW) from India and get crap grades(BBCCC).

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks