The Student Room Group
Original post by Little Wing
Medicine :biggrin:, I'm going to go for it, I feel confident in my BMAT skills, and why the heck not :P

Medicine is very competitive but UMS are not the be all and end all - there are lots of facets to application as you've recognised! If it's what you want and you have a solid set of grades (AAA) in the right subjects then there's no reason why you shouldn't go for it.
Original post by Xotol
Problem is I got low 90s for Chemistry and the rest high 90s. They all average to a bit over 95% (my chem, bio and physics average to 95% too). Not sure what happened since I thought I did well for Chemistry, but yeah.

Those sound like great grades! And you're over the 95% - although nobody should get too hung up on that one. As it's an average across all successful applicants, it stands to reason that around half of them will have less than a 95% average!

Chemistry is stinky anyway, it always seems to be the one that brings people down.
Reply 9842
Original post by Xotol
Problem is I got low 90s for Chemistry and the rest high 90s. They all average to a bit over 95% (my chem, bio and physics average to 95% too). Not sure what happened since I thought I did well for Chemistry, but yeah.

But your chemistry score is still 91% - which is still a very high A, and is by no means a disqualification. If anything, it's an asset. Just because it's lower than the others doesn't mean that it's bad.

EDIT: Sorry, I confused you with another applicant from two minutes ago with very similar grades, but the point still stands. You also should go and reward yourself with cake :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9843
I would like to apply for Maths,

Maths: 300/300 (100%)
Further Maths: 289/300 (96.3%)
Biology: 275/300 (91.7%)
Chemistry: 270/300 (90%)
Physics: 274/300 (91.3%)

In my maths and further maths I got 100ums in C1, C2, M1, S1 and FP1 and 89ums in D1

I'm also planning on dropping biology next year

Do I have a chance?
Any chance for mechanical engineering next year? My overall A level grades are A*'s in maths (528/600) (C3 - 90, C4 - 92) and physics (550/600) (Unit4-97%, unit3-93%) and A's in chemistry and biology.
Original post by Xotol

Well, it's obviously worth applying anyway with those marks, so I guess speculating over exact grade weightings won't really help much.
Reply 9846
Original post by Zoedotdot
Those sound like great grades! And you're over the 95% - although nobody should get too hung up on that one. As it's an average across all successful applicants, it stands to reason that around half of them will have less than a 95% average!

Chemistry is stinky anyway, it always seems to be the one that brings people down.

Original post by lp386
But your chemistry score is still 91% - which is still a very high A, and is by no means a disqualification. If anything, it's an asset. Just because it's lower than the others doesn't mean that it's bad.

Thanks, I'm not really disappointed or anything, I just wanted to get some clarification on the averaging procedure. :biggrin:
Original post by lp386
For a Cambridge student to get eyestrain is quite something, given that we're all practically full time sixteen-hour-a-day computer users. Or maybe that's just me.

I'll be hanging around this thread for the next couple of hours, so if anyone has any urgent questions, especially economics, feel free to quote me and I'll leap out of whichever pointless internet argument I've managed to get myself in :smile:

i wanted to apply to cambridge but then crossed it off after i thought i had completely messed up my june modules but thankfully ive done great and think i stand a chance. but cos i was almost certain i wouldnt be applying before ive not done any extra reading what so ever, or looked at the bmat which cambridge want. is it too late to start? and how much extra reading did you do around your subject? and what sort of stuff did you read?
Original post by cantthinkofone
i wanted to apply to cambridge but then crossed it off after i thought i had completely messed up my june modules but thankfully ive done great and think i stand a chance. but cos i was almost certain i wouldnt be applying before ive not done any extra reading what so ever, or looked at the bmat which cambridge want. is it too late to start? and how much extra reading did you do around your subject? and what sort of stuff did you read?

I assume you are applying for medicine?

You could definitely start BMAT things now. It's not too late at all; in fact, if you started now, that's probably longer than the average person would spend.
Original post by Catiexx
I would like to apply for Maths,

Maths: 300/300 (100%)
Further Maths: 289/300 (96.3%)
Biology: 275/300 (91.7%)
Chemistry: 270/300 (90%)
Physics: 274/300 (91.3%)

In my maths and further maths I got 100ums in C1, C2, M1, S1 and FP1 and 89ums in D1

I'm also planning on dropping biology next year

Do I have a chance?

Wow. Just wow. Well done.
Original post by lp386
Even if they did look at it, 84% in history wouldn't be a disqualification by any means (an A is a good grade, even if you didn't get full marks!) Your AS results look pretty solid to me.

Economics - Unit 1 - 99/100, Unit 2 - 99/100 (198/200 - 99%)
Maths and Further Maths combined - 830/900 (92.3% including A* A2 maths)
Chemistry 266/300 - (dropped most marks due to ISA)

worth it?

I feel really cross with myself for so many silly mistakes that I never ever learn from. I think the fact that I self taught AS further maths in under a month (FP1, S1,S2) and managed over 92% could be something I could talk about..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9851
Original post by cantthinkofone

I can't speak for medicine directly - when do you have to take the BMAT? I imagine you can prepare for that without huge issues in a matter of weeks - there are guides available online.

As for additional reading - I did a fair amount, books, newspapers and blogs, but then I'm a huge geek. You've still got a couple of weeks left of the holidays - see what the folks in the Medicine forums recommend and you should be able to get some stuff. You can continue reading after applying so you've got things to talk about at interview, if you're so inclined.
Original post by Extricated

worth it?

I feel really cross with myself for so many silly mistakes that I never ever learn from.

You average 93% but with very strong maths and economics so as long as Chemistry is not your most relevant subject (eg NatSci) I would go for it. I got in with 86% for Economics although 96% best three, For Economics.
Reply 9853
Original post by Extricated

worth it?

I feel really cross with myself for so many silly mistakes that I never ever learn from.

You're economics, right? I'd say yes, worth it, especially with already having an A* at A2 maths, though what were your module scores like? If you were planning to drop Chemistry, that would be A*AAb at a minimum next year, and your Chemistry mark is sufficiently close to an A that it wouldn't preclude getting an A in it next year.

I can't see any compelling reason to not apply - in the subjects that matter, you're looking pretty strong.
Reply 9854
Maths - 292/300 = 97.3%
F.Maths - 280/300 = 93.3%
Economics - 167/200 = 83.5%
Computing - 160/200 = 80%

Computer Science w/ Mathematics - any point? it averages out at 89.9% which i guess is pretty poor by these standards.. i found out having just 1 more ums gives me a 90% average.. should i think of retaking?
Original post by dmccririck
Any chance for mechanical engineering next year? My overall A level grades are A*'s in maths (528/600) (C3 - 90, C4 - 92) and physics (550/600) (Unit4-97%, unit3-93%) and A's in chemistry and biology.

Your Maths and Physics together are 89%, a bit lower when you add the third subject. Did you get good scores on any mechanics modules?

If will not be impossible but your scores will be below the average for applicants.
You will stand a very good chance at your second or third chance so give it a go?
Reply 9856
Original post by Lunch_Box
Wow. Just wow. Well done.

Thank you :') But I've looked at other peoples results on this thread and they seem to all be >95%
Reply 9857
Original post by Sketch
Maths - 292/300 = 97.3%

Computer Science w/ Mathematics - any point? it averages out at 89.9% which i guess is pretty poor by these standards.. i found out having just 1 more ums gives me a 90% average.. should i think of retaking?

Nope, this is fine - your maths will be what's most important here, and those are excellent. Getting in with an average of less than 90% is not impossible by any means.
Original post by Sketch
Maths - 292/300 = 97.3%

Most relevant three gives you 90.2% with good maths. Is there a reason why you got 80% in the subject you want to study? This is the weakest aspect. Don't bother retaking subjects for Cambridge unless there is a strong reason why you underperformed.
Original post by Colmans
You average 93% but with very strong maths and economics so as long as Chemistry is not your most relevant subject (eg NatSci) I would go for it. I got in with 86% for Economics although 96% best three, For Economics.

Original post by lp386
You're economics, right? I'd say yes, worth it, especially with already having an A* at A2 maths, though what were your module scores like? If you were planning to drop Chemistry, that would be A*AAb at a minimum next year, and your Chemistry mark is sufficiently close to an A that it wouldn't preclude getting an A in it next year.

I can't see any compelling reason to not apply - in the subjects that matter, you're looking pretty strong.

C1 - 95/100
C2 - 91/100
C3 - 92/100
C4 - 90/100
FP1 - 94/100
S2 - 86/100
S1 - 87/100
M1 - 100/100
D1 - 95/100

Economics -

Unit 1 - 99/100, Unit 2 - 99/100

Chemistry -

Unit 1 - 95/100, Unit 2 - 124/140

Quite worried since statistics seems to be my lowest module in maths, which is possibly the most pertinent to a economics degree. This is easily explained by the fact that my school wanted me to do other modules (i.e D2) which I felt would not aid me in an economics degree and only with a month to go was I notified that they had finally entered me for FP1,S1,S2 and I managed to get the above scores.

Latest

Trending

Trending