Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread (Mk1)

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might aswell just retake it then, C1 will be dead easy as you will have done further core modules. You iwll have to tick to say you are resitting it. You must declare all results, including resits.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On paper, they will of course favour a candidate that did well first time over one that had to resit. You will have to declare your C1 result on the Cambridge SAQ but can also state that you intend to resit it. What you should be doing now though is just concentrating on your maths modules in the summer. If you do extremely well in the other modules you can demonstrate to them that this C1 was result was anomalous.

Perhaps it might not even be as bad as you thought - wait for the results in March. If you want some reassurance about resits though then I was invited to interview and made an offer after resitting C1. If you do decide to resit this summer and manage to arrange for that then make sure you really nail it though - one bad result could be an anomaly but two doesn't look to good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of Nat Sci and I didnt do too great on y C1 either, I got an A but its not a high one which is what my teachers have said I need. My teacher said it is better to get 100% in core 1 so you can afford to lose marks in harder papers. Should I retake? I definitely didnt get over 90% Id say 80-85%. Should I retake?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil)
    im thinking of Nat Sci and I didnt do too great on y C1 either, I got an A but its not a high one which is what my teachers have said I need. My teacher said it is better to get 100% in core 1 so you can afford to lose marks in harder papers. Should I retake? I definitely didnt get over 90% Id say 80-85%. Should I retake?
    If you get less than 90% then yes retake, the amount of work you will have to put in for the retake will be minimal. Otherwise I would say it really isn't worth bothering, just focus on getting close to 100% in C2 (if you show them you can get 100% in C2 they will probably ignore your lower C1 mark anyway).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter about getting 100% in maths? For any Cambridge course? Isn't just over 90% sufficient?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    getting over 90 % is fine, but if your not scoring above 90% in C1 then you might struggle to get the A grade after C3 and C4
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil)
    Why post essentially the same thing twice?

You don't know what grade you got yet, wait until they come before deciding anything. However your school is right, if you wait until next summer C1 will be ridiculously easy, plus if you have already got an A thanks to your A2 modules theres no need to retake it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XENOCIDE)
    getting over 90 % is fine, but if your not scoring above 90% in C1 then you might struggle to get the A grade after C3 and C4
    Yeahh that makes sense. Would cambridge favour those who got 600/600 in maths over someone who got like er 580/600?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XENOCIDE)
    Depends how much work you did. I got 80% exactly in C1 and got a very comfortable A overall for my A2, however I did no revision at all for it :p:.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have a question.

Im pondering whether or not to do AEA religious studies. I'm applying for anth/arch and want something to boost my application a bit. However, a friend above who got in to Cambridge for Theology got a U for the AEA paper. If I get a U would I have to put it on my UCAS, and would it make my ucas look worse? hmmm is it worth it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This thread is getting lonely
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My sister is under huge pressure from her History teacher to go and study History at Cambridge. However, will she even be looked at with 4 A's at GCSE? She is a History wizz. She has had to move onto harder work as she finds the current A level work to easy and is planning to take the S Level(?) next year..(sort of clueless about this..info would be good!)

Any info would be good. Thanks.

:ymca:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    4A's and what?

4A's + 6B's possibly
    4A's + 12A*'s highley likely?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    She should definitely go for it, but if, and only if, its what she wants. At the open day they said "the only way to ensure not getting in is not applying." I think that this is excellent advice. If she's only in year 12 now, then she doesn't need to worry to much until next year. She, and her teachers, will be in a much better position to judge when she has her AS grades. However, if she does want to apply, its worth bearing in mind that getting all A's at AS would be a great start. Doing well in History alone won't be good enough - its too competitive. Hope that helps
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna Kiyone)
    I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge. Occasionally you hear of people with no A*s getting in but you do have to extremely uber in your field, and do extremely well at interview. So it's not impossible, but I'd say the chance is slim to nil.
    You're not even applying for 2009 so you haven't a clue what the admissions processes are like. If you don't know then don't ******* post in the topic. Jesus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's worth a shot, and:

The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge.
    That rumour is wrong :yes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge.
    A complete fallacy. I wish people would stop spouting nonsense like this.

What were her other GCSE grades?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge. Occasionally you hear of people with no A*s getting in but you do have to extremely uber in your field, and do extremely well at interview. So it's not impossible, but I'd say the chance is slim to nil.
    I think I can safely say thats not true seeing as I am at "Oxbridge" and dont have 7A*S or even close
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    Hi,
    My sister is under huge pressure from her History teacher to go and study History at Cambridge. However, will she even be looked at with 4 A's at GCSE? She is a History wizz. She has had to move onto harder work as she finds the current A level work to easy and is planning to take the S Level(?) next year..(sort of clueless about this..info would be good!)

Any info would be good. Thanks.

:ymca:
    S Levels havent existed for many years. 10ish
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely false. I had 5A*s, 3A's, some B's, a D, and an E. *vaguely indicates his sig*

To the OP - I'm presuming she is likely to get A*s for the rest, or a reasonable number thereof? She should be fine. As always, GCSE results are far less important than some people think - good AS's and predictions should get you an interview, good interview and stuff should get you an offer, good A2's and you should make that offer.
Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.