The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quick question (i searched through most of the thread, but couldn't find it):

If you have taken Further Maths AS a year early (yr11) and got a C overall, then took it properly in yr12 and definitely gonna b on course for a few 100%'s as i've paced through C1,2,3,4 M1 S1...and the course I'm on does half of AS Maths with half of AS Further Maths (new spec) so it'll be easier for me for both years. So if It's a very good A, would Cambridge look at the retakes or just the new UMS mark that I have for the individual modules?? I also am doing Al'evel economics a year early and am set on an A! I just wanted to ask about the retake marks...
.:excel4100%:.
Quick question (i searched through most of the thread, but couldn't find it):

If you have taken Further Maths AS a year early (yr11) and got a C overall, then took it properly in yr12 and definitely gonna b on course for a few 100%'s as i've paced through C1,2,3,4 M1 S1...and the course I'm on does half of AS Maths with half of AS Further Maths (new spec) so it'll be easier for me for both years. So if It's a very good A, would Cambridge look at the retakes or just the new UMS mark that I have for the individual modules?? I also am doing Al'evel economics a year early and am set on an A! I just wanted to ask about the retake marks...

They ask for all your marks, including retakes.
alex_hk90
They ask for all your marks, including retakes.

Thanks for that...seeing that you are at Cambridge, you definitely know then!

:s-smilie: That's Cambridge off my list then.....let's research oxford then lol:yep:
@alex_hk90, hello, I got an offer from Pembroke college. AAAB. we might see each other in october.

@.:excel4100%:., I don't think they mind retake that much. Especially if you have taken it earlier than other people. I am with AQA. I have done my maths AS in Year 11, got A overall, B in C2. I retook C2 in last year and finish the whole A2, got A over all, but I got B in C4. I also took Further Maths AS last year. I got C over all, U in FP2:biggrin:. That's why they are asking A for my Biology, Chemistry and Physics, but only B in Further Maths.

You shouldn't worry about retake too much. As long as you get some decent grade by the end of this academic year, you will be fine. Grade doesn't mean everything. It does help if you have a good grade. Interview and personal statement are important as well. I know some people from my school who didn't get an offer, and he has got higher UMS in most modules than me. He told me he messed up the interview. He said he couldn't answer many of their questions.

Cambridge is prettier, richer:biggrin: than Oxford. (That's of course not the real reason I choice Cambridge over Oxford. I love the idea of Natural Science course.) I think you should go for the place where you think that suits you the best. Look up the course you want to take first.
fangfufu
@alex_hk90, hello, I got an offer from Pembroke college. AAAB. we might see each other in october.

Hi fangfufu! Congratulations and no doubt we will see each other at some point. :smile:
Reply 1045
Has anyone done the Veterinary Medicine course at Cambridge? How was it?

Also, what are the chances of someone from new zealand (i.e. me) getting into that course? GCSE marks were ABBBC and waiting for AS marks which should be about ABAB.
Reply 1046
squidgym
Has anyone done the Veterinary Medicine course at Cambridge? How was it?

Also, what are the chances of someone from new zealand (i.e. me) getting into that course? GCSE marks were ABBBC and waiting for AS marks which should be about ABAB.

Are these English GCSE's you're talking about? If they are, the fact you only did five and the grades you got means your chances are pretty much zero. The average GCSE grades on the course are something like 6A*'s and 4A's.
And you'll need straight A's at AS-level.
Reply 1047
two22
The average GCSE grades on the course are something like 6A*'s and 4A's.

Those are the average grades university-wide for applicants. I'd fancy the average grades for people actually studying Vet Med are an A* or two higher.
I'm considering doing economics at Uni (something in the way of Business anyway) and I do Business Studies (our school doesn't offer Economics)

Is it true that because BS is a soft subject, Cambridge would be likely to flat out reject me on paper (without interview)?

If the senario was changed so that I wanted to do medicine, a flat out rejection would be very likely also, aye?

I just want to get my facts straight, thanks in advance =)
Lingybells
I'm considering doing economics at Uni (something in the way of Business anyway) and I do Business Studies (our school doesn't offer Economics)

Is it true that because BS is a soft subject, Cambridge would be likely to flat out reject me on paper (without interview)?

If the senario was changed so that I wanted to do medicine, a flat out rejection would be very likely also, aye?

I just want to get my facts straight, thanks in advance =)

There should be a place in the SAQ to inform them that you were unable to do Economics and so did BS (love the initials) instead. If not you could get your UCAS referee to mention it in your reference. So no, it shouldn't cause a flat-out rejection, especially if your other subjects are strong and you have good UMS marks.
Ok, I realise there are hundreds of threads on grades and everything, but I still have to ask! I got 4 A's, 4 B's and 4 C's in my GCSES (One A was music, taken a year early). I know these are not 'Cambridge Grades' but I am now predicted 4 A's in my AS' (since i finally worked out that I need to do some work) and I have lots of EC's (mainly music, like JRAM, NYO) and I'm taking my Grade 8 Music Theory this term... do you think there is any chance I could get even an interview? Thanks
twirl_girl
Ok, I realise there are hundreds of threads on grades and everything, but I still have to ask! I got 4 A's, 4 B's and 4 C's in my GCSES (One A was music, taken a year early). I know these are not 'Cambridge Grades' but I am now predicted 4 A's in my AS' (since i finally worked out that I need to do some work) and I have lots of EC's (mainly music, like JRAM, NYO) and I'm taking my Grade 8 Music Theory this term... do you think there is any chance I could get even an interview? Thanks

They don't put a lot of emphasis on ECs I'm afraid. What subjects are your AS levels in? If they are in strong traditional subjects and you still get all A grades I'd say you've still got a good crack becuase it shows you've improved.
shadowsintherain
They don't put a lot of emphasis on ECs I'm afraid. What subjects are your AS levels in? If they are in strong traditional subjects and you still get all A grades I'd say you've still got a good crack becuase it shows you've improved.

I'm doing Music, Psychology, Maths and Design Technology...They're not very traditional... oh dear. Could I do anything (like AEAs or anything?) to maybe get an interview?!
twirl_girl
I'm doing Music, Psychology, Maths and Design Technology...They're not very traditional... oh dear. Could I do anything (like AEAs or anything?) to maybe get an interview?!

DT is a 'blacklisted' subject, and pscyhology isnt that well respected (to my knowledge). Maths is a traditional one and music is also quite respected.

Your ec's would be relavent if you are applying for music?

However, I think that a large amount of oxbridge applicants have amazing extra curriculars (I, for example, have done grade 8 singing and guitar, been in over 40 productions with companies such as the national youth theatre and the ACT drama school in San Fransisco, and have played 1st team rugby, hockey and athletics for 3 years, as well as holding up a job, being a senior prefect, and doing piano, kung fu, and bass lessons).

edit - but if you get 4 high A's, you will def get an interview. In your interview its all down to you.
T-o dore
DT is a 'blacklisted' subject, and pscyhology isnt that well respected (to my knowledge). Maths is a traditional one and music is also quite respected.

Your ec's would be relavent if you are applying for music?

However, I think that a large amount of oxbridge applicants have amazing extra curriculars (I, for example, have done grade 8 singing and guitar, been in over 40 productions with companies such as the national youth theatre and the ACT drama school in San Fransisco, and have played 1st team rugby, hockey and athletics for 3 years, as well as holding up a job, being a senior prefect, and doing piano, kung fu, and bass lessons).

edit - but if you get 4 high A's, you will def get an interview. In your interview its all down to you.

Hmm... Well, most of my EC's are musical...NYO, JRAM (5 years), Senior Prefect, Lead student of Music within School, County Orchestra, Bassoon, Flute, and Saxophone to Grade 8Dist, and Grade 7 Piano.. I have a job playing music in a chamber group...and I teach the Flute and Recorder to underprveliged schools...
I don't think PSych is 'blacklisted' is it? I know its not traditional..but I was told it wasnt because Im already taking one 'blacklisted' subject!
Reply 1055
Psychology from this year onwards is now listed as a Science subject and apparently is as respected as Chem, Bio or Physics and will be looked upon favourably by Unis but then again it is Cambridge lol they mkae up there own rules about subjects :tongue:
xx
Reply 1056
Hello,
I have a question about resits and how they affect the chances of getting in.

Dont stop reading yet please!

I sat S1 module in Math which in my school is usually done in 7th year (upper 6th) this january. That is because I want to do math a-level in one year. However, I did it very badly (skipped about 24 points out of 75) because I was overconfident and focused on C3 and FP1 too much.

If I repeat the module in june - would it affect my application? Would they know that I resat?

Thank you for all the answers, I'm having a hard time now :smile:
they dont care much
Reply 1058
Moa
Hello,
I have a question about resits and how they affect the chances of getting in.

Dont stop reading yet please!

I sat S1 module in Math which in my school is usually done in 7th year (upper 6th) this january. That is because I want to do math a-level in one year. However, I did it very badly (skipped about 24 points out of 75) because I was overconfident and focused on C3 and FP1 too much.

If I repeat the module in june - would it affect my application? Would they know that I resat?

Thank you for all the answers, I'm having a hard time now :smile:

They know but the fact you resat instead of accepting a lower mark will count for you. Also if you haven't resat a module but intend to you have the option of telling them that aswell.
----------------
Now playing: System of a Down - Old School Hollywood via FoxyTunes
Reply 1059
I wont have a chance to tell them because now I'mm in my AS year. So by the time I will complete the ucas application I would already have my resit done.

Latest

Trending

Trending