The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ehmo
you have nothing to lose.

well, realistically it will probably take the chance away of getting an offer from another uni which the OP might need.

edit. especially considering he/she seems to be aiming very high with his choices
Mattisabiologist
Someone at our school got in (a few years ago) for Theology after getting ABBC at AS with a C in Philosophy and Ethics. I think the offer was AAB as well.

their interview must have been insane.
coren111
Hi I know it is recommended you have 90% UMS at AS for Cambridge. But is the same expected if applying post A Level? Becuase getting 90% at A2 is much harder than getting 90% at AS? Will it be taken into account that I got 90% at AS in 2 subjects if applying as a post A Level candidate? Someone help me please!

I don't reckon that it's that much harder to get 90% UMS at A2 than it is at AS, but it is likely to be taken into account, yes.

musti123
time to show off on an annomys forum, im going cam and i got more than 90% on all my a-levels. i even got 599/600 for my maths alevel. :wink:

I am at Cambridge, got over 90% on all my A-levels, and even got 600/600 on one of them. What's your point? :h:
FadedJade
It's fine.

For starters, if you've taken them in January it is especially OK. It states specifically on the website (there should be the link in this thread) that they know some schools put people in for exams in January as a practice and so they aren't too bothered by that.

If you have As then why are you bothering to resit?

I didn't really think about the importance of resits when I applied and did several, including two in the subject I now study. It wasn't a problem. Obviously overall the less resits the better, but resitting them from your JAnuary AS is AOK :smile:

Because they're not the results I know I should have gotten. :p:
Like I said, I shouldn't have done them in January, I should have waited until June.

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
T-o dore
:eek: wtf?! Why were you rejected without interview? how ridiculous. what were your as?

AAB with further maths pending with 98% in Maths, 90% in Physics and just a regular A in Economics. BUT my grades were affected by health issues. I also went through CSAS :dontknow: It turned out for the better anyways though cos I'm now doing a gap year with Deloitte.
Reply 1105
Those A level subjects, AAAB, not a good chance tbh GCSEs aren't exactly top oxbridge stuff either. I know plenty of 6A*+ rest As and AAAA at AS who got rejected.
don't get your hopes up
Laureneey
I know this thread's probably been posted loadsa times before but I wondered what people's opinions are on my chances of getting into Cambridge (:
In my GCSE's I got
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
Science - A
Advanced Science - A
History - A
French - B
Business Studies - B
RE - B
Maths - B
Geography - B

I now do, English, Sociology, French and Film Studies.
I am predicted AAAB. I have also done an A2 in General Studies a year early although I am aware that doesn't count for much lol.
But yeah Ive heard so much about taking too many 'new age' subjects and wondered what you thought my chances were (Y) and what I could do to boost them (:

Both Sociology and Film Studies are considered "weak" subjects. And your GCSEs aren't particularly impressive. So I would say you've slim chances of getting into Cambridge.
Has the OP considered taking up a more rigorous A/AS level (History :ninja:)? That might help.
We got told today in college that you need 6 A*/A to even apply for oxbridge.
Is this true?
And i have 5A* and 5 A's, is that good enough?
Reply 1110
SiobhanSays
Is this true?

If, after reading this whole thread, you haven't worked out the answer to that then you aren't Oxbridge material :p:.
Reply 1111
SiobhanSays
Is this true?

You have the same gcses as me and I'm going to study Economics there this October. Your grades are fine.
SiobhanSays
Is this true?

NO ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING TRUE.
SiobhanSays
Is this true?

I have similar grades and I've got an offer.
9 A* 2 A
Hey. I was wondering if one has not got great GCSE grades would it be best to resit them? In hope of obtaining A grades? I intend to resit my Mathematics, Statistics and Double Award Science before starting college and then during some spare time resist several other GCSE's.

I intend to study Medicine and have my sights on Cambridge. Is this a good idea? Please post your comments. Many thanks!
If you want to do medicine at Cambridge i'd say it probably is a good idea yeah, aim for A* rather than slumming at A it'll be really competitive
Reply 1117
resist = resit? :eyeball:
My appologies. I meant 'resit'. What's your opinion on the matter, Mithra?
Reply 1119
nick198929
My appologies. I meant 'resit'. What's your opinion on the matter, Mithra?

Probably should have included that too shouldn't I :biggrin:.

I don't know really, I guess it depends on what grades you got previously and whether there was any reason for getting 'bad' ones (I don't know what they are currently so can't say that they are necessarily bad :biggrin:). All I can say is that if you are struggling to get an A, let alone an A* in double science then Cambridge medicine might not be the best target :o: .

You would have to get stunning AS UMS marks though (not just As but very high ones, the standard for medicine UMS will be high to start with and to make up for GCSE resits it'll have to be that much higher :p:).

In short I'd say a resit isn't the end of the world, however if it is a resit because you can't actually do the work rather than just being lazy it could be more of a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending