The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No it isn't an average - Alex was correct. In addition you must also have at least 7A* grades, (although the number may now have changed)
Ok know this kind of question is common as muck and probably a stupid one, but I just got my higher results today and was wondering something.

Applying for natural sciences, would a B in music make much difference if everything else was good? And if i got an interview, would personal issues at the time of the exams be something to mention or would i sound like i was making excuses?

Again, apologies for what's probably a generic and straight forward answered a million times before question, but i'm really worried and not feeling rational XD
Did you get high A's in all your sciences? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't know yet because the school wont tell me but i should have 3 science band 1's.
Thankyou :smile:
Meteorshower
Ok know this kind of question is common as muck and probably a stupid one, but I just got my higher results today and was wondering something.

Applying for natural sciences, would a B in music make much difference if everything else was good? And if i got an interview, would personal issues at the time of the exams be something to mention or would i sound like i was making excuses?

Again, apologies for what's probably a generic and straight forward answered a million times before question, but i'm really worried and not feeling rational XD

If you get an interview i doubt they'd question you about your music result as it isn't really relevant at all. When i went for interview i was asked about some of my as level results as they were'nt very good and were for the subject i was applying for. I did give explanations for why my results were low, but whether or not they took them as excuses i don't know. The best thing you can do is explain why you may not have done so well, but that's only if they ask you about your music results. I doubt they will, but if they do, personal issues - depending on what they were - would probably be accepted as a valid reason for underperforming.
So basically aslong as the relevant subjects are good and the irrelevant ones aren't atrocious it's fine?
I am in Scotland, and at the school I am at we do A-levels (not Advanced Highers) in 6th year, for one year rather than over two. I am choosing a-levels, i am finding it fiddicult to decide.

I have just got my Higher results back and I got AAAAA in English, maths and 3 sciences. I really want to go to Cambrige to do Medidcine but I cant choose between Maths and Physics in 6th year. I definetely want to do Chemistry and Biology, but I cant choose between the other 2. I was considering doing 4 a-levels, but I am not sure that i can cope with that in one year.

Any advice? (sorry for the life story!)
Reply 107
mattbroon
I am in Scotland, and at the school I am at we do A-levels (not Advanced Highers) in 6th year, for one year rather than over two. I am choosing a-levels, i am finding it fiddicult to decide.

I have just got my Higher results back and I got AAAAA in English, maths and 3 sciences. I really want to go to Cambrige to do Medidcine but I cant choose between Maths and Physics in 6th year. I definetely want to do Chemistry and Biology, but I cant choose between the other 2. I was considering doing 4 a-levels, but I am not sure that i can cope with that in one year.

Any advice? (sorry for the life story!)

In terms of your application, it won't make any difference at all whether you do Maths or Physics, providing you get AAA in whatever subjects you eventually choose. Go for whichever you like more, or whichever you think will be easiest to get an A in...
Reply 108
Hi, I'm an American student planning on enrolling at some uni next year here in the U.S. It's sort of a dream to apply (and hopefully get in) to Cambridge. I'm not quite sure how English grading works (A-levels, etc) but I know that the UCAS is analogous to the American "Common Application." Is the UCAS also meant for international applicants?

How would 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4 AP scores be looked upon by Cambridge? Are APs even comparable to the difficulty of the classes offered in the U.K.? Should I even consider applying given the very few spots offered to American students?

And I'm happy to say that I'm a part of TSR community now!
It might help if you made a more specific topic title?
Reply 110
Oops sorry for the lack of details. I was sort of distracted by the amount of food awaiting me downstairs.

AP = Advanced Placement

The 5s were English Literature, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, U.S. History, and Euro History. The 4s were Statistics, Calculus BC, and English Language. I was planning on applying for Economics (if I were to even apply) despite my lack of 5s on the Calc. examination.
Reply 111
Those are my actual grades. I'm planning on taking multi variate calc next year..hopefully I can get an A. I'm also thinking about taking another econ. course at harvard extension if my schedule will allow it.

Should I consider applying still? I'm not sure if I'm par with applicants from the U.K.
Helenia
In terms of your application, it won't make any difference at all whether you do Maths or Physics, providing you get AAA in whatever subjects you eventually choose. Go for whichever you like more, or whichever you think will be easiest to get an A in...

do you think 4 would be too much?
Reply 113
2e4L

Should I consider applying still? I'm not sure if I'm par with applicants from the U.K.

Spend some time looking at the different colleges and choose one or two you like the look of. Then email their Admissions Secretaries. They'll tell you precisely what they'd want, and what their attitude is regarding your American qualifications.

Generally speaking: what do you have to lose in applying except pride?
Reply 114
mattbroon
do you think 4 would be too much?

I don't know. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do 4 full A-levels in one year, though I'm assuming you've covered much of the content in your Highers already. It would be a hell of a lot of exams though. If you genuinely think you can get AAAA, then go for it, but better to get AAA than AABB, if you see what I mean.

Also, bear in mind that most other universities like to see something non-sciencey, though I guess the English Higher you have may cover that.
Reply 115
Well, got my AS results and got 4 As wahoo!:smile:

BUT

One of my Sociology modules was only just an E!
And one of my English lang modules was a C!
How I got 4 As overall beats me.

Anyway, I wanna do MML so should I worry about these dodgy dodgy modules?

xxx
How do you feel you have performed in them? Perhaps get a photocopy and then remark?
I would definitley get those remarked if you think they're likely to be dodgy.
Reply 118
Sports Racer
How do you feel you have performed in them? Perhaps get a photocopy and then remark?

Hmm, good thinking I spose.

I'm just dreading the fact that they might be even lower! And those As might just drop down!

Would Cam be a bit concerned about them do you reckon?

xx
Doubt they'd be too concerned.