The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alex_hk90
Really? People must be getting better at it as I remember the grade boundaries being 63/75 for 100/100 UMS back when I took it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. If it was me I probably would retake it though, just to get the easy UMS for your Maths (or even Further Maths) A2.

they took simplex and flows out and now it only has all the easy stuff left in like bubble sort,kruskals, prims algorithms

hardest thing in D1 now is critical path analysis

anyways thanks for the advice :smile:
OK can anyone tell me where I stand in terms of grades for applying to anthropology and archaeology at Christs, Cambridge. Out of interest, will I have to compensate for my theatre studies and average gcses with a better interview than someone who got say 6 or 7A*?

GCSE - 4A*6A
AS - 5 A - Music, history, critical thinking, religious studies, theatre studies (93% average)
A2 - 3 A - History, religious studies, theatre studies + AEA R.S + AEA Crit think (should get merit or distinction in both)
Do they care about GCSE results?
I've only got 1 A*, 4 As, 4 Bs
But if I get good Alevels (ie A*AAB), would they care about the GCSE results?
Reply 1203
DarkWarrior
Do they care about GCSE results?
I've only got 1 A*, 4 As, 4 Bs
But if I get good Alevels (ie A*AAB), would they care about the GCSE results?

There's a great big thread about GCSEs and whether they matter somewhere down in the forum, have a look on the next page maybe.
Reply 1204
Would 4A*, 2A's and 2B's for GCSE's be enough when applying to Cambridge?
Is there a reason you only took 8 GCSEs?
Reply 1206
I could only take 8 GCSE's where I'm at. Why?
Well it is a low number of GCSE's to take. It also depends what subject you are applying for etc etc. It would be no good for medicine, for example. If you are predicted high As for all of your Alevels, and you explain you couldn't take more than 8, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although you should be aware that 6A*/A is much lower than the Cambridge average applicant.
Reply 1208
Hehe well I might stand out more. =D
Although seriously due to certain circumstances that was the amount I could take however I might do an extra one as well in the next couple of years.
If there are circumstances that explain it then it shouldn't be too much of a problem provided you do well at AS level. (Obviously it depends what those circumstances were)
FadedJade
Well it is a low number of GCSE's to take. It also depends what subject you are applying for etc etc. It would be no good for medicine, for example. If you are predicted high As for all of your Alevels, and you explain you couldn't take more than 8, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although you should be aware that 6A*/A is much lower than the Cambridge average applicant.

Um... really? I though 4 or 5 A* was average
Reply 1211
T-o dore
Um... really? I though 4 or 5 A* was average

4 or 5 A* is yeah, but FJ was referring to 6 A*s or As being under the Cambridge average.
Mithra
4 or 5 A* is yeah, but FJ was referring to 6 A*s or As being under the Cambridge average.

Oh people who are actually AT cambridge?
Reply 1213
T-o dore
Oh people who are actually AT cambridge?

No, people having only 6 A*s OR As, e.g. they have 2 A*s 4As and then all the rest Bs or something.
Mithra
No, people having only 6 A*s OR As, e.g. they have 2 A*s 4As and then all the rest Bs or something.

I still dont get it... lol i'll just leave it :wink:
I was referring to the total number of A* grades and A grades combined. So if you had 4A* and 6A grades you would have 10A*/A grades. The poster in question has 6A*/A grades as detailed above, which is below that of the average Cambridge applicant.
Am I right in thinking 7 A*/As is also below average? :frown:
FadedJade
I was referring to the total number of A* grades and A grades combined. So if you had 4A* and 6A grades you would have 10A*/A grades. The poster in question has 6A*/A grades as detailed above, which is below that of the average Cambridge applicant.

So having 10 (made up of 5A*s and 5As) is OK?
Reply 1218
I got 10 A* and 2 A (French and History) :smile: But took my mandarin a year early as I am fluent!
This isn't really a grades question, but do they get the SAQ before they've made interview decisions? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending