The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
its a great situation really. means you can just re-take the terrible grade modules and make an even more impressive AAAA
If you've got high As in the other modules then a C or a high E can be brought up, so that you have a good overall grade :yep:
Papillon!
Well, got my AS results and got 4 As wahoo!:smile:

BUT

One of my Sociology modules was only just an E!
And one of my English lang modules was a C!
How I got 4 As overall beats me.

Anyway, I wanna do MML so should I worry about these dodgy dodgy modules?

xxx

Nope

And the reason you still got A's overall is cause youre other mods were high A's...I was the same last year.
Reply 123
bean87
its a great situation really. means you can just re-take the terrible grade modules and make an even more impressive AAAA

nooooooo
i dont wanna retake!
im enough of a stress-head as it is!

xxxxxx

hmmm
Reply 124
alrite then lol, dont re-take

its not like january is really busy :|

re-take you noob
Reply 125
Even though I got an A over all for English Literature AS, I definately need a remark for one of the modules where I got a C. I found it bizarre because I got an A in the module I thought I'd done badly in, and a C in the one I was convinced I'd got an A in. I may just have over-estimated the easiness of that specific module, but I wrote a lot and included *everything* that I needed to get an A. I also re-read my answer and it seemed on a par with other essays I'd done that module where I'd got nearly full marks.

Are they able to remark before the October deadline?
Reply 126
got my As results today, worse than i hoped, no matter how much ppl say, i cannot bring myself to smile. well heres what it is.

chem: 251/300 84%
phy: 262/300 87%
maths and further: 555/600 93%

i really want to do Nat Science Phy at Christ, but judging by the standard at Christ especially, i think i fell short of target. since i wanted to do phy, i should really get more than 90% on the subject to make any impressions on the tutors, not to mention 90% across board. doesnt helped by the fact im attending a private school. so, my dream really took a big dent today, i know some may say u still have a chance to try, but i feel with those grades, my average chances falls far short with the competitors, espeially at Christ, where academic is soo important.

i think oxford pure physics is probably a better path for me now, although id prefer cam, this is such a big decision, so, any advice is appreciated, thanks.

also, can someone tell me how to remark the modules please ??
Reply 127
evilmoo
Even though I got an A over all for English Literature AS, I definately need a remark for one of the modules where I got a C. I found it bizarre because I got an A in the module I thought I'd done badly in, and a C in the one I was convinced I'd got an A in. I may just have over-estimated the easiness of that specific module, but I wrote a lot and included *everything* that I needed to get an A. I also re-read my answer and it seemed on a par with other essays I'd done that module where I'd got nearly full marks.

Are they able to remark before the October deadline?

Yer, you should probs get your script back first and have a look. You can either get a photocopy or the original script, but get the photocopy because if you get the original it doesn't give you enough time to apply for a re-mark.

That's what our little college booklet said anyway.

and Oi, bean87, January SO is busy! Busier than the summer!
It's just that in my little oxbridge book a girl had her interview and they interrogated her a bit on her lower modules, and by low I mean a B - a scraped E is a bit of a disgrace!! How would I get myself out of that one at interview? "urrmm, I had toothache!"
??
The sociology one was the research paper, where you basically follow a fool-proof formula, so I must've seriously buggered it. I'll deffoes get a copy of the scripts.

God Damn you Sociology!

Oh I wish wish wish they didn't look at modules.

xxx
Reply 128
how is january busy?
Reply 129
Thanks for the advice. We've been given an advice leaflet to do with remarks, but our college hasn't made any of the information very clear XD

How are Cambridge about retakes? I got 56/60 in one History module but got a C and a D in two others. On the day of those two I was knocking on death's door and had to leave the exam room five times (due to seizurey-illness). I've also got a lot of other personal circumstances that have hindered me. I'm going to apply under CSAS and I can put all of this on the form I suppose. At least I've got the brilliant module to prove I'm not lying when I say I was capable of much better XD
Reply 130
bean87
how is january busy?

That's when they're deciding who to give offers to and a lot of people who have been pooled get invited back for interview. T'is admissions-crazy.
Jiajun
chem: 251/300 84%
phy: 262/300 87%
maths and further: 555/600 93%

Those grades are more than acceptable. Alevels are not used so much to provide distinction for candidates (as many will achieve more or less similar grades), nor are Admissions staff blind to the fact that from 80%+ having a "Good/Bad" paper may have a greater bearing on a result, than the relative strengh of an aplicant amongst his peers. Those grades are more than enough to warrant an interview --> Performing well here, grouped with a strong PS and an eye catching 'admissions test score' is what is important now.
Reply 132
Stop stressing, those results are fine. I seriously doubt any admissions tutor would decide between two candidates on a few marks of UMS, the most important thing in the application process is the interview. If you perform well enough at interview then you will get in.
With A grades all round you will definitely get to the interview stage as well.
Reply 133
so what? an interview doesnt need as much time devoted as exams

and thats IF you're unlucky enough to get an interview during exam times

i re-took 2 modules in january, helped loads
Reply 134
stop being melodramatic! :smile: it's only AS - and they will assess you 99% on the interview. if you perform well and they believe you have got what it takes, they'll take you. they'll be much more inclined to judge on the problems you work through with the interviewer rather than on your ums. so it'll be fine!
Reply 135
what if my interviews are of similar qualities to another, would the grades matter more than?...

on a more obvious note... i can kiss the EE offers good bye for sure now... what did u guys get incidently?? davidt??
Jiajun
what if my interviews are of similar qualities to another, would the grades matter more than?...

on a more obvious note... i can kiss the EE offers good bye for sure now... what did u guys get incidently?? davidt??

Haha most people cope without getting EE offers...it's not the end of the world.

And I wouldn't worry about the AS levels. I know people who got Bs in their AS levels and managed to get offers, and meet them. The 90%+ thing is just a statistic: most successful applicants will have 90%+ in their subjects (or at least the one they're hoping to study), but a good interview and/or admissions test will make up for it. Plus, you got good grades in each three papers: considering lots of people apply having only scraped the As, or having a mixture of As and Bs in their modules, you're not exactly in a bad position.
Reply 137
but to be honest... applying to the best university in the world, who wouldnt like to have the best preparation, i doubt this is it. it is below average as u said statistically, so, its not a perfect start for cam, i want to do nat science physics based so, not having 90% or more there, is pretty bad we must admit...i should look at other options at ox for example... oh dear!
Reply 138
I got a matric offer, and I applied for compsci (but I did phys natsci last year so I was interviewed for physics as well) and I had 285 in physics, much lower in chemistry (about 250ish with one module a B) and 586 in maths iirc (i did further)

oh, and general studies, that was a C (one of my modules was an E :biggrin:)

they ask for you marks so they can get a picture of your background - if you turn up with straight 100%s then can't answer a single question at interview they will think twice, but if you turn up with all As and a good maths mark as long as you interview well you have reason to be hopeful.

don't stress about the matric offer thing. it's nice if you have one but if you get a AAAA offer you shouldn't stress because you're probably more than capable. i know quite a few people who've gone on to get firsts who didn't get matric offers.
Reply 139
You have done brilliant
its not 100% academic/grades they look at
Although it does help of course

Latest

Trending

Trending