The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
I wouldn't worry at all. Cambridge cares for core 3 As subjects to be above 90%. So apply - I am sure you will get a interview. Good luck.
Reply 1921
Your grades are fine. You generally only need AAA, which you're on course to achieve. If you don't apply, you'll regret it.
Reply 1922
Thankyou!! So they do actually have a way of finding out how well you did percentage wise? If so that would definatley be handy :smile:
You'll be fine. You got nothing to lose by trying.
Just apply, there is nothing to lose and only to gain.
Reply 1925
coldfusion
You'll be fine. You got nothing to lose by trying.

Yeahh I guess. Just a horrifying traumatic interview that will probably scar me for life! haha. I'm state school as well, and also I worry that I won't come across as intelligent enough. I've been having a constant debate with my Dad over the fact that there's no point but now I've realised I might aswell.
El28
Thankyou!! So they do actually have a way of finding out how well you did percentage wise? If so that would definatley be handy :smile:

You fill in you UMS marks on the SAQ form so they will know how you did. Have you any explanation for the C, as they may ask you at interview?
Reply 1927
ispyder
I'm wondering if my A*s being in the arty subjects will be a disadvantage?

Science - A*
Art - A*, A*
ICT - A*, A*
Mathematics - A
Additional Science - A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Religious Education - A
Citizenship - A
Physical Education - B

Wanting to apply for Law, forgot to mention.

Anyone? :smile:
Reply 1928
Ahhh i see. I blanked on the 45 mark question at the end and wrote nothing:frown: I had 133 out of 200. I may have to come up with another excuse bar the blanking out thing, probably not a good idea! It was the exam I revised the most for too ¬¬
El28
Ahhh i see. I blanked on the 45 mark question at the end and wrote nothing:frown: I had 133 out of 200. I may have to come up with another excuse bar the blanking out thing, probably not a good idea! It was the exam I revised the most for too ¬¬

Oh right ok... that excuse probably wont impress them at all... the excuse will also more thank likely need to be put on your reference on UCAS by your teacher/principal
Reply 1930
Seriously?! Oooo this is scary stuff. Which is why I started this thread in the first place :smile: I haven't got my heart set on applying for Cambridge so if the C is going to give me a pretty limited chance then should I just avoid it all together and not waste my time?
See what it says on your course site - for MML for me it said your 4th AS should be at least a B.
But remember, if you don't apply - you'll never get in!
Your GCSEs are good, you could improve the grade? With a good reference and PS with extra reading around your subject the C shouldn't pull you back initially. :dontknow:
edit: if it was just off a B then even less of a problemo :smile:
El28
Seriously?! Oooo this is scary stuff. Which is why I started this thread in the first place :smile: I haven't got my heart set on applying for Cambridge so if the C is going to give me a pretty limited chance then should I just avoid it all together and not waste my time?

:yep: The only thing is, outside of medicine and vetinary medicine, it is always worth trying Cambridge as you stil have another 4 choices for other universities for your course, none of which are going to be as competitive as Cambridge (except the likes of LSE for economics etc) So it is always worth trying it, but be prepared to defend your C, and maybe even repeat it to bring it up
Reply 1933
Hmm.. well I was thinking of applying to Durham, LSE, UCL and Bristol/St Andrews for the rest so if the C isn't good for Cambridge I doubt its going to be good for those either. Arghh it's so annoying :frown: But even if I resit they are still going to see that C if I get an interview aren't they? I don't know whether it's worth just focusing on my three others and working for A*s in those instead of having to devote more time to the ancient history yet again.. although it would only be one module I'd have to resit. Meh.
Reply 1934
JoshB698
Thanks HSLT that was really helpful and it made a change from people just having a go at me although i didnt really help myslef:frown:

Haha, no worries. Didn't really get why people were being that grumpy at you!

Good luck applying :smile:
I want to apply to Cambridge to study History of Art but not sure they'll even consider me because of my E in Maths AS (I failed the mechanics paper) although I got AAA (English, History, Music) for A2 after I dropped it... Help, please, anyone?
charlotte_xx
Hello :smile:

I am looking to apply for Bio Nat Sci this year. I have already done my A levels and am just starting my gap year. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geog and for B,C and G i got A's in all the modules, but for Maths i got 3A 2B and 1C in the modules. I still got an A overall, but are the B's and the C too low for Cambridge?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Anybody?? :unsure:
ispyder
This applies to me also, I'm wondering if my A*s being in the arty subjects will be a disadvantage?

Science - A*
Art - A*, A*
ICT - A*, A*
Mathematics - A
Additional Science - A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Religious Education - A
Citizenship - A
Physical Education - B

Wanting to apply for Law, forgot to mention.

I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage because of subject choices. Your GCSE results are good, although AS results are more important. If you get ~90% in your AS modules, you have a very good chance, but we can't give you a definite answer until you get your AS results next year.

charlotte_xx
Hello

I am looking to apply for Bio Nat Sci this year. I have already done my A levels and am just starting my gap year. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geog and for B,C and G i got A's in all the modules, but for Maths i got 3A 2B and 1C in the modules. I still got an A overall, but are the B's and the C too low for Cambridge?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

If you got 4 As overall, that should be good enough. There might be a couple of more mathematical courses within the Tripos you couldn't do, but you get a lot of choice. They might ask about the grades at interview, but it shouldn't affect Bio NatSci too much as you still got an A overall. What were your unit marks in Biology and Chemistry?

colaqueen90
I want to apply to Cambridge to study History of Art but not sure they'll even consider me because of my E in Maths AS (I failed the mechanics paper) although I got AAA (English, History, Music) for A2 after I dropped it... Help, please, anyone?

Maths isn't really relevant to History of Art, so for their purposes they would probably just ignore it. Again, AAA in relevant subjects should be fine with a good interview.

And to all of you, what have you got to lose? You get five places on UCAS, so you can take a risk with one of them. The worst that can happen is that you don't get a place, which is the same result as if you didn't apply.
Tempeststurm

If you got 4 As overall, that should be good enough. There might be a couple of more mathematical courses within the Tripos you couldn't do, but you get a lot of choice. They might ask about the grades at interview, but it shouldn't affect Bio NatSci too much as you still got an A overall. What were your unit marks in Biology and Chemistry?

I wouldn't want to do any more maths courses than i have to!! i know biologists have to take one maths course, but i wouldn't take any further ones.

Biology: 540/600
Chemistry: 536/600
Geography: 575/600

Im hoping those ^^ are high enough too :/ all the modules are A's, its just the maths that ruined it! :frown:
Reply 1939
Tempeststurm
I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage because of subject choices. Your GCSE results are good, although AS results are more important. If you get ~90% in your AS modules, you have a very good chance, but we can't give you a definite answer until you get your AS results next year.

Yeah I understand I'll need to step it up and do well in the AS levels, I was worried that seeing as I want to study Law, it'd be expected that I'd have achieved A*s in English Language and Literature as opposed to the arts subjects. I'm going to try and aim for A* in my English a-level so hopefully I can show some improvement, being that it's my most enjoyed subject I study. Thanks for the reply. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending