The Student Room Group

Overpayed grant help!

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cybele
Today I recieved a letter telling me my grant of £666 (which came in 2 installments of £333) has been overpayed and I'm actually entitled to £0. As such I'm told I have to return this amount ASAP.

I'm in my final year of University, and in both my first and second year I've recieved grants with no problems. My parents' income hasn't changed much since I finished second year. I just want to know why I'm suddenly not entitled to anything? And also, why has it taken 5 months since my first installment to tell me this? (I was paid the first installment at the end of September, then again in early January).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Obviously I'm trying to get hold of Student Finance but they've put me on hold for a frigging age. I don't know how to proceed. :dontknow:

I would try ringing them again. I've had various complications over the last two years and the person on the phone has always been very helful at either explaining what is going on or at telling me what I needed to do to get things changed
Reply 2
I would say that your parents were asked to supply information in the November/December sample check for continuing students, and they failed to do so within the timeframes detailed. Due to this, income assessed support has been withdrawn.
Original post by Taiko
I would say that your parents were asked to supply information in the November/December sample check for continuing students, and they failed to do so within the timeframes detailed. Due to this, income assessed support has been withdrawn.

You could be right. We were contacted about a missing form, so we sent them a third copy and then got a threatening letter about withdrawing the grant.
...and did nothing about the threatening letter?
Reply 5
Original post by Taiko

The woman on the phone said we were missing one form, a form I didn't even know about! It was basically just a sheet which required a signature, and it's nothing to do with my parents' income. She said send these off and the grant should be mine. :dontknow:
even more daft that you didn't send it in then!
Reply 7
Doesn't sound right, as not having a students signature would've meant that no grants would've been paid at all this year. Which form exactly have they claimed you need to sign?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending