The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do and it's killing me :(

OK this hopefully won't get too long...

I'm currently in my first year of a Maths degree at an OK university - I got offers from top 10 unis for it when I first applied but after that I changed my mind a couple of times and in the process lost the offers so I'm here. I originally applied for Maths to unis but then during the application process was taken in by the idea of doing a degree in Film & Theatre (always been my great passion) but was talked out of it by teachers and parents wanting me to do something more respectable so I got in here through Extra to do Physics (thinking I might prefer it to Maths) but realised I didn't like it at all after a few weeks, tried to switch to Computer Science but wasn't allowed so switched to Maths...and here I am.

I've applied again for next year on UCAS for Film Studies and Film & TV Production courses at two nearby universities, neither of which is respected really even for vocational subjects, but I've already signed a contract on a flat for next year with my best friend who's at the uni where I am at the moment so I'd need to stay near here. I have offers for one of the unis but have since found out that commuting there would cost too much so that's out of the question. Now I'm just waiting for replies from the nearer uni which I could definitely get to.

BUT my parents and grandparents even keep telling me that I should stick with Maths because doing Film will ruin my possible career (I want to be a film writer / director and have done for years and years) but that because Maths is a more respected course I could get into the industry with that. My mum recently had a huge go at me saying I shouldn't throw away my career just to stay in a flat with my best friend and that I should take a gap year (even though neither one of my parents could afford to keep me at home so I'd literally be working to live for the entire year) and then to apply for a film course at a "better" university next year meaning that I would be going to uni aged 20 and graduating aged 23 which I really don't want to do because I'd be so behind compared to most people who graduated at 21... I also think she's saying this because she thinks she can spend the extra year convincing me to do Maths again or something.

So now apparently my options are:
- Stay on a course I really hate and am only doing out of pressure from teachers and parents and I really can't put my heart into for the whole 3 years.
- Switch to Computer Science which I think I would enjoy more but is, according to my dad, too "geeky" and not as generally respected as Maths, and still not be doing Film.
- Take a gap year and leave my best friend with no flatmate in a 2 person flat and go to work to earn enough to pay my dad rent (could never live with my mum for several reasons) and apply for a better course but graduate much later than most other people.
- Do Film Studies at the nearer uni I've applied to (if I get an offer for it) and apparently "ruin" my future career in film but I'd be getting to study what I love, still live here with my best friend, not have to take a gap year (a wasted year of my life tbh) but have people constantly reminding me that I've thrown away a good chance of a career because apparently no one with a bad degree ever made it in the film industry, even though most of my favourite directors either went to non-respected unis or just dropped out halfway through and didn't go back.

I was wondering what you might do in my position and just... I can't decide what to do!

tl,dr: Just read the last dashed points (my options from now on) and you'll pick up a lot of it from there.

Thanks if you read it all! Any help is really appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Don't even consider wasting your life on something you truly hate. If I were you, I'd switch to CS. You don't need to do Film Studies to make films and it's an unreliable career either way; CS would be a solid career backup that wouldn't depress you and waste your life. You certainly do not need a Film Studies degree to make films!
(edited 13 years ago)
Do what you want - its your life, not your parents.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
OK this hopefully won't get too long...

I'm currently in my first year of a Maths degree at an OK university - I got offers from top 10 unis for it when I first applied but after that I changed my mind a couple of times and in the process lost the offers so I'm here. I originally applied for Maths to unis but then during the application process was taken in by the idea of doing a degree in Film & Theatre (always been my great passion) but was talked out of it by teachers and parents wanting me to do something more respectable so I got in here through Extra to do Physics (thinking I might prefer it to Maths) but realised I didn't like it at all after a few weeks, tried to switch to Computer Science but wasn't allowed so switched to Maths...and here I am.

I've applied again for next year on UCAS for Film Studies and Film & TV Production courses at two nearby universities, neither of which is respected really even for vocational subjects, but I've already signed a contract on a flat for next year with my best friend who's at the uni where I am at the moment so I'd need to stay near here. I have offers for one of the unis but have since found out that commuting there would cost too much so that's out of the question. Now I'm just waiting for replies from the nearer uni which I could definitely get to.

BUT my parents and grandparents even keep telling me that I should stick with Maths because doing Film will ruin my possible career (I want to be a film writer / director and have done for years and years) but that because Maths is a more respected course I could get into the industry with that. My mum recently had a huge go at me saying I shouldn't throw away my career just to stay in a flat with my best friend and that I should take a gap year (even though neither one of my parents could afford to keep me at home so I'd literally be working to live for the entire year) and then to apply for a film course at a "better" university next year meaning that I would be going to uni aged 20 and graduating aged 23 which I really don't want to do because I'd be so behind compared to most people who graduated at 21... I also think she's saying this because she thinks she can spend the extra year convincing me to do Maths again or something.

So now apparently my options are:
- Stay on a course I really hate and am only doing out of pressure from teachers and parents and I really can't put my heart into for the whole 3 years.
- Switch to Computer Science which I think I would enjoy more but is, according to my dad, too "geeky" and not as generally respected as Maths, and still not be doing Film.
- Take a gap year and leave my best friend with no flatmate in a 2 person flat and go to work to earn enough to pay my dad rent (could never live with my mum for several reasons) and apply for a better course but graduate much later than most other people.
- Do Film Studies at the nearer uni I've applied to (if I get an offer for it) and apparently "ruin" my future career in film but I'd be getting to study what I love, still live here with my best friend, not have to take a gap year (a wasted year of my life tbh) but have people constantly reminding me that I've thrown away a good chance of a career because apparently no one with a bad degree ever made it in the film industry, even though most of my favourite directors either went to non-respected unis or just dropped out halfway through and didn't go back.

I was wondering what you might do in my position and just... I can't decide what to do!

tl,dr: Just read the last dashed points (my options from now on) and you'll pick up a lot of it from there.

Thanks if you read it all! Any help is really appreciated.

It does not matter if you graduate at 23 years old, in comparison to 21 years old. I will be graduating at the age of 27 years old.

Life is not a race. :smile:
I think the last option (if you get an offer)

Don't carry on doing something you don't like. Your parents should respect your decision.
Reply 5
Thanks people :smile: good to know no one's saying stay with maths or ditch my best friend!
Reply 6
I studied Economics for 2 years and didn't like it at all, now I'm heading to study Physio in September and I'll be 21 when I start. My advice would be leave the course now If you don't like it, it will be easier to switch course sooner rather than later and you'll be happier too. The gap year doesn't sound too bad though, you could take a year to work and save a bit of cash, 20 is not that old, a lot of people start uni aged 19 anyway after taking gap years, not to mention all the mature students.
Can't you have a gay year and live with your friend while you're working?
Reply 8
You have to do what you feel you will excel at. However, it would be best to 'kill two birds with one stone', as they say, and do the Computer Science, and take up filming vocationally, i.e. short courses, training etc

That way, you are not restricted to one field, and at the same time mediating the family issue.

But don't just switch to CS as another option, if this is why, then thoroughly look into other fields you could switch too.

Remember passions don't always need a degree, there are so many other avenues.

Edit: or try dual honours degrees, e.g. Computer Science and Film Studies at Keele University. (Source: UCAS)
(edited 13 years ago)
To be honest you shouldn't waste you time doing a course you don't love. If you want to study film for the purpose of making films or whatever, then there's no need but if you want to study it because you are passionate about it, then do that. I get the feeling from what you are saying that you want to study Film because you are passionate about it. Maybe consider joining it with another subject (e.g. history or english). Leave the course you are doing now and just go for it, don't ask or discuss with your parents about what to do, just do it and if you want to just tell them, don't ask, just ignore. You can't live your life according to other people, the world doesn't revolve around their expectations. If your parents respect your decision then they will come round. Some people are against non-traditional subjects but there is no point in wasting your time and energy getting into debt in something you don't want to do.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kay :)
You have to do what you feel you will excel at. However, it would be best to 'kill two birds with one stone', as they say, and do the Computer Science, and take up filming vocationally, i.e. short courses, training etc

That way, you are not restricted to one field, and at the same time mediating the family issue.

But don't just switch to CS as another option, if this is why, then thoroughly look into other fields you could switch too.

Remember passions don't always need a degree, there are so many other avenues.

Also this if you think about pursuing your interest in film in a different way. You could do a degree and join a film society.

Possibly if you want to do film why not consider maybe doing a different type of course rather than a degree. I am not an expert on this but maybe search on google for film schools or something.
By the way it's not a race to go to university and it doesn't matter how old you are when you graduate.
Reply 12
Original post by Dee Leigh
By the way it's not a race to go to university and it doesn't matter how old you are when you graduate.

This :smile:

--> It just takes some people longer by nature to find their comfort zone.
Reply 13
Original post by mangostrawberry
Can't you have a gay year and live with your friend while you're working?

lol :biggrin:
Edit: or try dual honours degrees, e.g. Computer Science and Film Studies at Keele University. (Source: UCAS)

I have to stay around where I am in Liverpool though :/ there's a joint honours where I am now of exactly that but the Film bit looks crap :frown:
Thanks though :smile:

Original post by Dee Leigh
To be honest you shouldn't waste you time doing a course you don't love. If you want to study film for the purpose of making films or whatever, then there's no need but if you want to study it because you are passionate about it, then do that. I get the feeling from what you are saying that you want to study Film because you are passionate about it. Maybe consider joining it with another subject (e.g. history or english). Leave the course you are doing now and just go for it, don't ask or discuss with your parents about what to do, just do it and if you want to just tell them, don't ask, just ignore. You can't live your life according to other people, the world doesn't revolve around their expectations. If your parents respect your decision then they will come round. Some people are against non-traditional subjects but there is no point in wasting your time and energy getting into debt in something you don't want to do.

Good luck :smile:

Also this if you think about pursuing your interest in film in a different way. You could do a degree and join a film society.

Possibly if you want to do film why not consider maybe doing a different type of course rather than a degree. I am not an expert on this but maybe search on google for film schools or something.

Thanks :smile: I agree with doing what I want. I've tried film societies but it's nowhere near the same :/
Also Film Schools are SO expensive! They're brilliant and they definitely lead to careers but they're about £22,000 a year just for tuition!

And I know it's not a race but I only live once and I want to get on with doing what I love as early as possible so I can do it for as long as possible! I'd hate to feel like I've wasted a whole year of my life... I've had 19 of them so far and I don't want the 20th to mean nothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I have to stay around where I am in Liverpool though :/ there's a joint honours where I am now of exactly that but the Film bit looks crap :frown:

Yes, then straight CS, with vocational. Or make some commuting compromises.

Your welcome, all the best with it.
Yes, then straight CS, with vocational. Or make some commuting compromises.

Your welcome, all the best with it.

It wouldn't be a compromise really - I don't have an extra £1000 to spend on trains to go somewhere else!

But thanks :smile: No idea what I'm going to do but I suppose I can't decide until I get all my replies through UCAS!
Reply 17
It wouldn't be a compromise really - I don't have an extra £1000 to spend on trains to go somewhere else!

But thanks :smile: No idea what I'm going to do but I suppose I can't decide until I get all my replies through UCAS!

Yeh, it's the waiting game now :smile: Hopefully you'll receive some offers.

Thanks :smile: I agree with doing what I want. I've tried film societies but it's nowhere near the same :/
Also Film Schools are SO expensive! They're brilliant and they definitely lead to careers but they're about £22,000 a year just for tuition!

And I know it's not a race but I only live once and I want to get on with doing what I love as early as possible so I can do it for as long as possible! I'd hate to feel like I've wasted a whole year of my life... I've had 19 of them so far and I don't want the 20th to mean nothing.

Damn! I guess you might as well stick with the degree then.
Really boring to say it, but maths will stand you in great stead. You don't have to do that after, you can branch into loads of stuff that its usueful for. I wish I'd gotten my maths degree, tbh any degree gets hard/dull halfway through and you'll have doubts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending