The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex uni accomodation!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Meesta
how come not park village? i havent seen the accomadation so i'm not sure which to pick! - needs to be less the £100 a week though!

You can get east slope for about 80 i think, but tbh its really really **** lol
Its so dingy an grimey! toilets are basically in the kitchen! errr.. go for lewes court 1 or park village but they will cost 100 or maybe more i think.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Trece13
Its so dingy an grimey! toilets are basically in the kitchen! errr.. go for lewes court 1 or park village but they will cost 100 or maybe more i think.

Lewes court is more than 100 park village is about 90, east slope and park village are currently the only 100 and under accomodations
Reply 22
Original post by Trece13

Yeah doubt i'll go for east slope tbh, although apparantly it's always oversubscribed :O

Original post by thepomster
Lewes court is more than 100 park village is about 90, east slope and park village are currently the only 100 and under accomodations

Yeah lewes court is quite expensive.

Think i may go for park village... nearly anything else will cost over 4k over the 39 week tenancy :frown: Although Brighthelm looks appealing :colone:
Reply 23
Original post by Meesta
Yeah doubt i'll go for east slope tbh, although apparantly it's always oversubscribed :O

Think i may go for park village... nearly anything else will cost over 4k over the 39 week tenancy :frown: Although Brighthelm looks appealing :colone:

Does the 39 week tenancy mean that we have to move out say christmas hols and stuff. Thats what my mate had to do at his uni?
Reply 24
Original post by Trece13
Does the 39 week tenancy mean that we have to move out say christmas hols and stuff. Thats what my mate had to do at his uni?

Nope, you don't - you just have to move out over Summer of course, which is usually about 3 months long (so about 13 weeks, 52-13=39)
Original post by Meesta

east slope is always oversubscribed because people think its "party central", rent at sussex is expensive im in swanborough, Brighthelm is the best non en suite, you can budget so the rent is affordable but dont push your budget youll have a good time which ever accomodation your in
which accomodation is better Lewes courts phase 1 or park village or park houses? heeelp, cant decide :frown:
Reply 27
I went to the ucas day and had a look around, I decided to apply for the en-suite rooms, I know it's about £20 more but I think its worth it, your not just paying for an ensuite but a bigger room and a much bigger kitchen with an lounge type of room attached to the kitchen (swanborough), all of the other places are a bit dodgy to be honest :L
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by allison1991
which accomodation is better Lewes courts phase 1 or park village or park houses? heeelp, cant decide :frown:

I'd say that Lewes Court ph 1 flats have a much better standard of accommodation than most Park Village/Park Houses rooms (haven't seen the refurbished Park Village houses though). I generally think that Park Houses/PV are more social than Lewes Court ph 1, cos there's lots more people around i.e. PV houses are pretty big, Park Houses are more the traditional style of halls with lots of people on the same corridor and you have easy access to the other floors, while Lewes Court is locked flats of 5/6, so is makes it a little less social. Though this is just my opinion/own experience!
Reply 29
How easy is it getting a job as a fresher? because i will definitely need one!
Original post by Meesta

pretty easy quite a few of my friends have one, the union offer jobs and you can work for the uni as an ambassador which i do, its an easy job for good money i would reccomend it
Reply 31
pretty easy quite a few of my friends have one, the union offer jobs and you can work for the uni as an ambassador which i do, its an easy job for good money i would reccomend it

ah right great! what do you do as an ambassador?
Reply 32
Original post by Meesta

It depends how hard you try. If you put in a bit of effort it's not too hard :smile: Protip: the union usually advertises during the summer, on their website, for interviews to be held during freshers week. Keep checking the website once you confirm your offer and if you see something, apply for it! I work in one of the student Union shops and I honestly cannot think of a better Job to have had through my 3 years of uni :biggrin:

(EDIT: I will say though it is quite competitive. Last time they had over 600 applications I think!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Meesta
ah right great! what do you do as an ambassador?

If you went to an open day the guys in green t shirts are all ambassadors, basically you work open days and other events showing people around the uni and things like that, its really easy and really relaxed
Reply 34
Original post by nadiah
It depends how hard you try. If you put in a bit of effort it's not too hard :smile: Protip: the union usually advertises during the summer, on their website, for interviews to be held during freshers week. Keep checking the website once you confirm your offer and if you see something, apply for it! I work in one of the student Union shops and I honestly cannot think of a better Job to have had through my 3 years of uni :biggrin:

(EDIT: I will say though it is quite competitive. Last time they had over 600 applications I think!)

ah okay :smile: thanks i will definitely apply for one of those!

If you went to an open day the guys in green t shirts are all ambassadors, basically you work open days and other events showing people around the uni and things like that, its really easy and really relaxed

ah that's alright then i'll also try get a job as a guy in a green top :biggrin:
has no-one heard of Northfield.
Their new en-suite development with 777 rooms ready for September, it's the same price as swanborough!

Northfield was my top choice because Sussex is expensive anyway so you may as well pay a little extra for the best :smile:
Original post by x_melissaanne
Their new en-suite development with 777 rooms ready for September, it's the same price as swanborough!

Northfield was my top choice because Sussex is expensive anyway so you may as well pay a little extra for the best :smile:

I put Northfield as my first choice too.
Reply 37
Original post by x_melissaanne

Hmmm expensive = not always the best!! The first few years following the Stanmer Court build (2006 ish?) were not great, they had issues with the plumbing I believe. They were still having problems during my Freshers year in 2008. New builds aren't always as brilliant as they may sound. Just warning you! Hopefully the Northfield build will be much better than the Stanmer Court one.

edit - you should also know that there will most likely still be construction going on, as they plan to build a few more blocks of flats, ready for new students in 2012.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38

how do you apply for jobs like being an ambassador? is it through the sussex website or do you apply somewhere on campus? also would i need to apply over the summer or throughout the year i.e. during freshers week?
thanks
Original post by gemini89
Hmmm expensive = not always the best!! The first few years following the Stanmer Court build (2006 ish?) were not great, they had issues with the plumbing I believe. They were still having problems during my Freshers year in 2008. New builds aren't always as brilliant as they may sound. Just warning you! Hopefully the Northfield build will be much better than the Stanmer Court one.

edit - you should also know that there will most likely still be construction going on, as they plan to build a few more blocks of flats, ready for new students in 2012.

I did read somewhere they have applied to build a few hundred new rooms for the next set of applicants and the accommodation service emailed me to tell me about it :smile:

Yeah, I know what you mean but i really would prefer an en suite though (have been sharing with 4 boys my whole life and need an escape) and if I was to get an en suite I know there are more en suites in northfield than there are else where so there is maybe a higher chance of getting that one if its top choice?

sorry, I know I sound wildly naive about it but in my mind my logic made sense and at this second ill be pleased just to get awar from my brothers :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending