The Student Room Group

ucl vs sussex

Poll

ucl or sussex?

for physics but based on social life, student experience and how easy to get a job after degree etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mitch1234
for physics but based on social life, student experience and how easy to get a job after degree etc

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html

Compare them there.
I go to UCL but I'm from Brighton, so know a lot about the place itself and also lots of people at Sussex!

The physicists here say it's pretty intense and they have a lot of work all the time, but I think they're all enjoying the course. Don't know anything about the course at Sussex but I have to say that Brighton nightlife, for students anyway, is far superior to London's in my opinion. London has a lot of unis but not many student nights, and the ones there are aren't much good. Sussex is amazing for students in terms of the student experience! UCL has the more highly regarded name though, so it really depends which factors are the MOST important for you.
Reply 3
is ucl terrible for student experience then? or is it just much better at sussex. would you say its easy to make friends at ucl because of the lack of student nights etc?
Hey there...I had the same choice as you about 4 years ago. Both are great Universities, and from what I can gather teachers from both universities are good, and you'd no doubt enjoy your stay at either of these. But lifestyle would be quite different at both these Universities. I personally went to UCL, and as Quail says above the course at UCL will get alot harder in your 3rd and 4th years, but the first 2 years aren't very challenging, so for now don;t worry about it. As for social life...I don;t think you'd need to worry about that at all, both London and Brighton are great places to be.
Reply 5
thanks for the advice. its nice to have some people who have experience of the universities to help. i think i will firm ucl now. i do really like it as a university i am just a bit worried that ucl could be a lonely experience being a city university, with less chance of meeting people outside lectures/halls. are people at ucl generally quite sociable then. just worried because ive heard that quite alot of people have a really strong work ethic and also some people have said that the international students tend to stay with eachother and not be very sociable. do these have any truth to them? thanks for the help people
Reply 6
It's difficult to say.

I did not apply for UCL as I hated it's location; despite being in London, it's a long journey on the tube and the surrounding area is noisy with not much going on. I personally wanted city life on my doorstep, whereas you get a big busy road and a few little expensive shops.

I applied to Sussex as it's nearer home and in Brighton which is a lovely place. However, it is 4 miles out of Brighton, and after talking with a student at Sussex found out that the buses aren't as regular as I thought and that most students end up staying on campus instead of going out, whereas I don't want to be tied to the campus the whole time. I also thought Sussex's facilities weren't very modern and the buildings were very industrial-looking which put me off. UCL is modern, but being in London means higher living costs. UCL accommodation is more expensive but some of Sussex's accommodation left little to be desired; definitely avoid East Slope at all costs. Students rated the social side of it well, but inside it was pretty sub-standard.
thanks for the advice. its nice to have some people who have experience of the universities to help. i think i will firm ucl now. i do really like it as a university i am just a bit worried that ucl could be a lonely experience being a city university, with less chance of meeting people outside lectures/halls. are people at ucl generally quite sociable then. just worried because ive heard that quite alot of people have a really strong work ethic and also some people have said that the international students tend to stay with eachother and not be very sociable. do these have any truth to them? thanks for the help people

From my experience, UCL is pretty sociable. However, that may change from year to year. staying in halls and joining societies will allow you to meet people outside of your subject group, so you needn;t worry about that. Also, with the international thing you said, it may be true for the first year when people are in halls, but that would only be because they're in a new country and they will be as, if not more nervous than you, so try and actively talk to them, and you'll find them very friendly. But that distinction will go away after a year or two at UCL.
Reply 8
okay thanks for the help. would you say that having gone ucl you would have prefered a campus uni or having gone sussex you would have rather gone to a city uni. i think im leaning towards ucl but am just worried as im doing a four year course so is a long time if i dont like the place, want it to be an enjoyable experience
UCL, it's sexy. Sussex is a huge council estate in a field near Brighton.
Reply 10
lol. also while your here. what do you think i should do for my insurance offer?

UCL have offered me AAB in physics maths and chemistry

Sussex the same but also the option of A*BB in the same order

And nottingham are the only offer that is lower at ABB

what do you think i should do. i dont really want to go nottingham but is it pointless putting sussex as an insurance?
Reply 11
UCL, personally.
okay thanks for the help. would you say that having gone ucl you would have prefered a campus uni or having gone sussex you would have rather gone to a city uni. i think im leaning towards ucl but am just worried as im doing a four year course so is a long time if i dont like the place, want it to be an enjoyable experience

Well for me, having gone to UCL, I wouldn;t really have wanted to go anywhere else. Soon after going to University you'll realise that having good friends, good social atmosphere and something to work towards like assignments with course mates everything else starts to blend into the background. from what I can gather, you're looking for a good university experience, and you'll definitely get that from UCL.
Reply 13
UCL :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ejlowe13
It's difficult to say.

I did not apply for UCL as I hated it's location; despite being in London, it's a long journey on the tube and the surrounding area is noisy with not much going on. I personally wanted city life on my doorstep, whereas you get a big busy road and a few little expensive shops.

I applied to Sussex as it's nearer home and in Brighton which is a lovely place. However, it is 4 miles out of Brighton, and after talking with a student at Sussex found out that the buses aren't as regular as I thought and that most students end up staying on campus instead of going out, whereas I don't want to be tied to the campus the whole time. I also thought Sussex's facilities weren't very modern and the buildings were very industrial-looking which put me off. UCL is modern, but being in London means higher living costs. UCL accommodation is more expensive but some of Sussex's accommodation left little to be desired; definitely avoid East Slope at all costs. Students rated the social side of it well, but inside it was pretty sub-standard.

What facilities at sussex are you refering to i have applied for engieering.
Reply 15
Original post by Stasiaxx
What facilities at sussex are you refering to i have applied for engieering.

Oh it wouldn't affect you probably, my subject would have been english and spanish, just personally that department felt run down and not very modern and quite dated. Just my personal opinion
Reply 16
I am the opposite as someone on here in that I haven't applied to UCL but I live in London and have applied to Sussex. I haven't actually ever been to Brighton so can't give you an opinion on that yet, but can give you an insight on London.

While London is exciting and the nightlife is amazing, it's something I would advise AFTER university. I think university life should involve crazy student nights, a campus and little money. There are student nights in London (but not many and even then it's still expensive), but taxis and travel (the tube at night can be pretty scary) can be a nightmare and expensive. Even living in London I have found it hard to make lots of friends my own age because everything is so spread out and there's much less of a community, because the place is so big. Yes, it is an amazing city and I do love living here but I don't want to enjoy this experience when I have a job after university and can actually afford things. Accommodation is also a staggering amount of money, especially for a student. I don't think you would get the same 'university experience' going to a university in central London.

However, being in a university in London does mean you'll have more contacts with people within the top jobs as most are based in London and I believe UCL probably has a better reputation than Sussex, although I don't think there's much in it.

I think it depends on what you want out of the university experience. If you want a typical student life, good social life and to come out with the least debt possible, then go to Sussex. If all you're after is the top job and don't care much about the money, then go to UCL.
Original post by Arielle
I am the opposite as someone on here in that I haven't applied to UCL but I live in London and have applied to Sussex. I haven't actually ever been to Brighton so can't give you an opinion on that yet, but can give you an insight on London.

While London is exciting and the nightlife is amazing, it's something I would advise AFTER university. I think university life should involve crazy student nights, a campus and little money. There are student nights in London (but not many and even then it's still expensive), but taxis and travel (the tube at night can be pretty scary) can be a nightmare and expensive. Even living in London I have found it hard to make lots of friends my own age because everything is so spread out and there's much less of a community, because the place is so big. Yes, it is an amazing city and I do love living here but I don't want to enjoy this experience when I have a job after university and can actually afford things. Accommodation is also a staggering amount of money, especially for a student. I don't think you would get the same 'university experience' going to a university in central London.

However, being in a university in London does mean you'll have more contacts with people within the top jobs as most are based in London and I believe UCL probably has a better reputation than Sussex, although I don't think there's much in it.

I think it depends on what you want out of the university experience. If you want a
typical student life, good social life and to come out with the least debt possible, then go to Sussex. If all you're after is the top job and don't care much about the money, then go to UCL.

Completely agree with this- top post
is ucl terrible for student experience then? or is it just much better at sussex. would you say its easy to make friends at ucl because of the lack of student nights etc?

There's isn't a lack of student nights, you just have to find them. London's frickin huge, there's always a student night SOMEWHERE. I'm at UCL now, and my experience is that your social life is what you make of it. It depends a whole lot on who you associate with. My flatmates and I are fairly into our work and we're in third year, so we don't do much partying anymore. But there are people who cannot survive without going out 2/3 times a week, and believe me London can cater for them.
Hey there,

I study Physics at Sussex and I was thinking about Imperial, so I hope my advice is useful...

I love our department, perhaps you could come on an open day and meet us all? The reason I love it is that we have these rooms we all work together in (with free tea and coffee!) and you see first years helping foundation years, masters students helping second years... I love that about Sussex Physics.

There is a lot of focus on the student experience in our department and so it really is possible that if you don't like something, you can change it!

Our research is world rated, and we get 100% on student satisfaction surveys.... But mostly, the staff actually want you to do well. And they're sociable, it's the last lab of term next week and I got an email from our lab staff inviting us out for a drink (or five...) after it this Monday. Next Monday is the Physics and Maths pub quiz (and the quizmaster is our vector calculus lecturer, and he's lovely!), and then Thursday is the Physics ball!

Nightlife here is excellent, and so so cheap compared to London.

Employment prospects really depend on how much you do - the careers centre here are awesome and help so much, and put on great courses (I did Learning To Lead earlier this year, which I'm sure got me a place on a PwC Insight Academy - which is a good thing careers wise...), and there is a careers tutor in the department, Kathy, who as well as measuring large galaxies, also makes sure we all look out for jobs =)

All in all, I love Physics at Sussex - it's a fantastic supportive environment (and my god there are times when you need that in a physics degree!)

Finally, as to the busses issue, they run every approx 10 minutes, and trains every 30 minutes. I've never had a problem catching them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending