The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Course no longer running in 2012

I applied for both Computer Networks and Computing at Hallam, got offers for both.

However, according to SHU's website, for BSc Computer Networks it states "This course is not be available for 2012 entry" (nice grammar right lol). I'm assuming they are not running the course any longer and 2011 applicants will be the last to do the course at the university.

This surely has many disadvantages? New undergraduates won't be able to get on the course obviously when I am in my 2nd year and onwards meaning there will be less people doing the course. Plus, there must be a reason for them cutting the course; lack of funding in that department, interest, staff etc?

Can anyone clear things up for me as I'm seriously having doubts about taking the course now, and may have to choose Computing which was my less preferred back-up.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by zzajb
I applied for both Computer Networks and Computing at Hallam, got offers for both.

However, according to SHU's website, for BSc Computer Networks it states "This course is not be available for 2012 entry" (nice grammar right lol). I'm assuming they are not running the course any longer and 2011 applicants will be the last to do the course at the university.

This surely has many disadvantages? New undergraduates won't be able to get on the course obviously when I am in my 2nd year and onwards meaning there will be less people doing the course. Plus, there must be a reason for them cutting the course; lack of funding in that department, interest, staff etc?

Can anyone clear things up for me as I'm seriously having doubts about taking the course now, and may have to choose Computing which was my less preferred back-up.

Thanks in advance.

maybe that course isnt really popular so its kinda pointless to keep it when theres only like 10 people doing it but i dont know
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hud-tomli
maybe that course isnt really popular so its kinda pointless to keep it when theres only like 10 people doing it but i dont know

thanks for the reply, but does anybody know if there are any real disadvantages to this?
Original post by zzajb

Thanks in advance.

i have read alot of reviews on hallam. and have come across a few which had been written by computer networking students. saying the course wasn’t up to scratch.
maybe this is why they have ended it?

here is one review i read:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/showReviewDetail.html?rid=16040&z=7343
Reply 4
Original post by nikki-jones2009
i have read alot of reviews on hallam. and have come across a few which had been written by computer networking students. saying the course wasn’t up to scratch.
maybe this is why they have ended it?

here is one review i read:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/showReviewDetail.html?rid=16040&z=7343

I applied for Computer Networks not Computing and Network Engineering although I'm positive they are similar :P I just had a look on whatuni for IT/Computer Science course reviews, and found another for review stating the opposite.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/showReviewDetail.html?rid=18392&z=7343

Thanks for your reply/input though, do you know if a course ending has any realistic negative affects?
Reply 5
I want to study computer and networks engineering at hallam, and have an offer for this. Can anyone tell me if its good or bad because a few reviews say bad :/

Quick Reply

Latest