The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Is swansea a good uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm an international student from Nigeria,and I applied into kcl,Ucl,Warwick and Swansea to study LLM.I was rejected in kcl because my first degree isn't law.but I got admission into Swansea to study international commercial and maritime law and also into Warwick to study international economic law. But I'm quite confused as Warwick is 8 on the league table and Swansea is 25 but I really like international commercial and maritime law and if I would be going to Warwick,I would only go because it ranks higher.pls advice me.tanks.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Abee22
I'm an international student from Nigeria,and I applied into kcl,Ucl,Warwick and Swansea to study LLM.I was rejected in kcl because my first degree isn't law.but I got admission into Swansea to study international commercial and maritime law and also into Warwick to study international economic law. But I'm quite confused as Warwick is 8 on the league table and Swansea is 25 but I really like international commercial and maritime law and if I would be going to Warwick,I would only go because it ranks higher.pls advice me.tanks.

I'd go by which course, university and city you like best, and not the ranking. Is there any way you could visit both of them? I'm at Swansea if you have any specific questions about it.
Original post by d0000dle
YES!!
Sorry, I'm quite excited that I found someone with the same outlook that I had when picking a uni. :biggrin:

I had my choice of some great uni's with better prestige than Swansea, but I knew I would be happiest here. Sure I've had a few comments from relatives who believe I should have gone to Exeter or Cardiff, or just anywhere better but I don't regret it one bit, I'm so happy with Swansea.

Here are more of my experience here just to balance some of the stuff here out. I'm a first year History student who lives on campus.

Library (I never knew such a place could cause such controversy :P)
On a whole I like the library and I study really well there. The computer are a bit outdated but they function well with typical student needs such as Office. I dislike Internet Explorer with a passion but that's just me and the internet runs wells. I can't deny that whilst I do my work on them I do check my facebook, I'm sorry if I pisses people off but I am allowed a 10 min break every now and again. I don't abuse it like some, however this is probably not unique to Swansea, but to all unis in the UK, unless they have a blocking system.

The main computer areas are not quiet, if you require this I would advise bringing a laptop to the silent study areas. These are quiet in my opinion but I wish they were larger. People do eat food all over the uni and I believe that's fair. Especially now during exam times, people spend all day in the library and do need food. There are vending machines with snacks and drinks available and a Costa on site. It doesn't bother me and nor the majority of the people.

I spent over 6 hours in the library yesterday studying and I worked really well. I didn't notice the chairs to be particularly uncomfortable.

Plenty of books for my course, although I do need to get some of them early with popular modules as there are as many as 200+ on the course. This isn't too much bother and the library request system is very good.

Living on campus
I love it and I'm happy with the standard of accommodation. I went for the cheapest one and I got good seized room, mini-fridge and everything you expect in a room. I do share a bathroom but it's only with one other person.

I live on a floor of 18 people and this is no bother. We all pretty much get on well with each other and we have plenty of space. Although, more chairs for the kitchen would have been nice. The accommodation staff have always been helpful and quick to respond to problems, especially around exam time if people are being too loud.

The campus might not be the prettiest but I didn't choose Swansea Uni because it looked nice. Actually there are some pretty buildings but don't be put off accommodation because of what they look like from the outside, inside they are really nice.

Student life
I actually do think Swansea has a varied nightlife. Sure you might have some 'chavvy bars' but it's your own perceptions that's important. Oceana is large and as different rooms that cater to different music tastes and runs various student nights. Wind Street is almost legendary and has so many places to go, I'm sure you'll find at least somewhere you like. Sin City has more of an alternative scene and is my favourite place. It's cheaper than cheaper on Thursdays and they can get some pretty good live acts (The Blanks and Funeral for a Friend have been my favourites so far). If you don't want to live campus, Friday nights boast Tooters in Divas, the uni run nightclub. That's pretty good with cheap drinks deals.

If you don't like to drink, there are plenty of other options. Great little places to eat or bigger franchises. There are three cinemas with one on campus. Bowling, LaserQuest, the beaches, Mumbles, the theatre and gym. We have great transport links to other places as well.

Also, there are plenty of societies to join and fill up your time. Take advantage and join loads. You don't have to stick with all of them but I advise getting involved with something.

My course
I've really enjoyed studying history in Swansea. I've enjoyed the varied periods we have studied and I have some great lectures. I have good contact with my personal tutor and have had no problems with getting help. I have six lectures a week and I do wish to have more but I understand that history relies much on my own reading and work.

Swansea
Swansea isn't the prettiest of cities but that doesn't bother me. All the locals I've met bar one (she was right to be pissed off with me) have been friendly. The taxi drivers particularly weird enough, especially to freshers who are still trying to find their way around. There are plenty of shops in and around the uni. The taxis are cheap there are plenty of them. Buses are good as well. We have lots a good shops but Cardiff isn't far if you want more options. I'm not fussed on the beaches but that's because I live near to one back home but for people who don't love having it so close.

So yeah I love Swansea. I'm currently not drunk and spend most of my time sober, I do a lot of work (my boyfriend tells me I do too much as a first year), and I don't do a mickey mouse degree either. I don't consider myself living in poverty or that I have low standards.

I know you wrote this ages ago but I just wanted to thank you. Swansea is my insurance choice and I started reading this thread and got quite upset about my choice to put it as insurance over any other uni then I read what you put, and also that you're doing history and now I feel much happier about my decision.

I choise Swansea not because of prestige but because the course looked interesting, the place looked nice and it all looked friendly and just....well, pleasant! I couldn't make it to the open day though but it's great having someone's first hand experience of the place, so thanks. :smile:
Original post by leemyster
Hello! I'm a 1st year student who wishes to transfer to Swansea University and before I went any further with the process I was wondering what you guys thought about swansea university and whether it's a good place to go or one to regret.

I'm currently at coventry university (so i guess anythings better in comparision) and studying economics so your views on student life, atmosphere and quality of course would be most appreciated!

Cheers!

No.
Reply 64
Whats a swansea? it sounds like some sort of animal
Reply 65
Original post by who.the.heck
I know you wrote this ages ago but I just wanted to thank you. Swansea is my insurance choice and I started reading this thread and got quite upset about my choice to put it as insurance over any other uni then I read what you put, and also that you're doing history and now I feel much happier about my decision.

I choise Swansea not because of prestige but because the course looked interesting, the place looked nice and it all looked friendly and just....well, pleasant! I couldn't make it to the open day though but it's great having someone's first hand experience of the place, so thanks. :smile:

I'm glad to have been some help :biggrin: The majority of people I've met love Swansea and I know there have been a few negative comments on this thread but I just wanted to balance things out. No university is perfect and I will never claim Swansea to be, but I'm loving my time there and I honestly can't wait to get back! (Summer is too long :angry:)

Good luck with getting into St. Andrews however, if it wasn't so far away I would have applied there as well. My A-Level History teacher loved it and had some great stories about the place. If you do end up coming to Swansea and have any questions about anything feel free to ask, but I hope whatever happens you'll end up happy!
Original post by d0000dle
I'm glad to have been some help :biggrin: The majority of people I've met love Swansea and I know there have been a few negative comments on this thread but I just wanted to balance things out. No university is perfect and I will never claim Swansea to be, but I'm loving my time there and I honestly can't wait to get back! (Summer is too long :angry:)

Good luck with getting into St. Andrews however, if it wasn't so far away I would have applied there as well. My A-Level History teacher loved it and had some great stories about the place. If you do end up coming to Swansea and have any questions about anything feel free to ask, but I hope whatever happens you'll end up happy!

:biggrin: Well if you're anything to go by then the people at Swansea are charming! Thankyou, I hope you enjoy the rest of your time at Swansea, and maybe I'll see you there next year?
Reply 67
Original post by Cicerao
I'd go by which course, university and city you like best, and not the ranking. Is there any way you could visit both of them? I'm at Swansea if you have any specific questions about it.

I have stayed in Warwick for about a weep.campus looks night but I think they have a very low city life.Swansea on the other hand sounds fun and the students r happy.but I have read on here that d campus isn't too neat,accommodation is poor and d library isn't standard.I really want to come to Swansea because of the shipping institute but I want to be sure I'll be comfortable and won't get peanut jobs at the end.tanks :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by Cicerao

I have stayed in Warwick for about a week.campus looks neat but I think they have a very low city life.Swansea on the other hand sounds fun and the students r happy.but I have read on here that d campus isn't too neat,accommodation is poor and d library isn't standard.I really want to come to Swansea because of the shipping institute but I want to be sure I'll be comfortable and won't get peanut jobs at the end.tanks :frown:
Reply 69
Original post by Abee22
I have stayed in Warwick for about a week.campus looks neat but I think they have a very low city life.Swansea on the other hand sounds fun and the students r happy.but I have read on here that d campus isn't too neat,accommodation is poor and d library isn't standard.I really want to come to Swansea because of the shipping institute but I want to be sure I'll be comfortable and won't get peanut jobs at the end.tanks :frown:

The campus is quite nice, it's tidy and some of the buildings are really pretty (the Digital Technium springs to mind). The library is perfectly fine, the request system is good and very quick, and you can get books from more than just the one main library. If you have a very popular book for a course, it can go quickly and the request queue may be long, but you can easily just be really quick to find the books you need. Most of the time you can find the book easily enough.

The accommodation is really good. I've probably repeated myself a few times on here before, but I loved where I stayed. The price was really good, the room are more than big enough, clean and with lots of space. The bathroom was only shared with one other person and it was always kept clean by the cleaner and we never ran out of loo roll. Residential services were always friendly and helpful, with most problems being fixed on the same day it was reported.

I don't know much about getting a job afterwards since I'm only a second year and I plan on further study afterwards, but if you get a decent degree you'll be able to find a job.
Reply 70
Original post by Abee22
I have stayed in Warwick for about a weep.campus looks night but I think they have a very low city life.Swansea on the other hand sounds fun and the students r happy.but I have read on here that d campus isn't too neat,accommodation is poor and d library isn't standard.I really want to come to Swansea because of the shipping institute but I want to be sure I'll be comfortable and won't get peanut jobs at the end.tanks :frown:

* The campus isn't one of the beautiful old fashioned ones (apart from Singleton Abbey) but it's not bad. They've just recently done up the windows etc to make it nicer. It's literally across the road from the beach, which is a bonus.

* I only have experience of one accommodation, Student Village. I don't know how it compares to other universities. You get a lot more for your money than many places I've seen, however.

* The library is pretty good. I haven't had any problems with getting books. Sometimes around exam time the computers are very busy like at any uni, so you might want to get a laptop, but it's not essential.

* The entertainment scene is pretty good, on campus there are a few things like JCs bar, Divas nightclub and of course loads of societies going on. In town there's cinemas and the leisure centre (swimming etc), shopping, cafes, marina and so. As for nightclubs, there are Oceana, Sin City, some others and too many bars to list on Wind Street, if you're into that kind of thing. It's not an enormous city, but I think it's the right size to have everything you need, but still be able to get around easily. :smile:

* If you "really want to come to Swansea" and study maritime law then I recommend you do. It's not worth missing out on something you want.

I don't know anything about Warwick other than I come not too far from it, and I'd rather live in Swansea. :tongue: I'll PM you pictures I took in my first year.
Reply 71
Swansea is a good uni- if you're looking for certain things. Academically, it varies department to department, but I've found I really like the majority of my lecturers themselves (I just resent the minimal amount of lecture hours I have in my third year- curse of the Ancient History degree). Engineers etc. are almost overburdened on their work. It does, however, have a lot of things going for it.

a) It's cheap living. Extremely cheap living when you're in a house share compared with the rest of the UK. (I'm from Cornwall originally so this may not seem as dramatic a saving to some). This is what persuades quite a few to stay on after.

b) Campus accommodation is generally good, with the exception of Rhossili in my first year which I think may have been done up by now (judging by the fact we had people come in looking to see what needed improving back then).

c) The nightlife is very good as are society events and socials. (There's the AU for sporty types). There is great variety in what's available, cinema, theatre- when you get bored of drinking.

d) It's a student town. Two universities make it a youthful city, and is generally friendly to student spending habits.
Reply 72
hello,

i d like to study law but i am really confused. I have applied to De Montfort, Swansea and Northumbria. I dont care about the prestige of these universities. I know that law is a difficult course no matter where somebody studys it, especially for someone whom maternal language is not english! So i d like you to help me picking the university, which is considered to be the less difficult for law, if i could tell this.
Furthermore i would be really grateful if you could tell me a few things about Leicester and Newcastle in comparison to Swansea. I see that many people adulate the coast where the uni of swansea is situated nearby. But i am from Greece and i am used to coasts and sun and i am sure that the sea wouldnt be as much nice as the sea in Greece οn june. I d really like to know about the welsh weather on june because all the other months the sea cant be so marvelous!

thank you in advance
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by greekguy

Original post by greekguy
hello,

i d like to study law but i am really confused. I have applied to De Montfort, Swansea and Northumbria. I dont care about the prestige of these universities. I know that law is a difficult course no matter where somebody studys it, especially for someone whom maternal language is not english! So i d like you to help me picking the university, which is considered to be the less difficult for law, if i could tell this.
Furthermore i would be really grateful if you could tell me a few things about Leicester and Newcastle in comparison to Swansea. I see that many people adulate the coast where the uni of swansea is situated nearby. But i am from Greece and i am used to coasts and sun and i am sure that the sea wouldnt be as much nice as the sea in Greece in june. I d really like to know about the welsh weather on june because all the other months the sea cant be so marvelous!

thank you in advance

Hello! I am from Newcastle and study in Swansea so have good experience of both!
Both cities are quite cool and rain a LOT, I'd say it's a wee bit warmer in Swansea though because of it's location. Swansea university is right next to the beach and from many rooms in the Uni you can see the sea ! In Newcastle you need to travel about 20 minutes outside the city to get to the coast but it is still very near.
I know people who study law at both Northumbria and Swansea but am afraid I couldn't judge which is "harder" - all seem to find it challenging but enjoy it!
Newcastle has a very vibrant and varied nightlife- there is less on offer in Swansea but this means there is a much more friendly student atmosphere in some places and you always see people you know on nights out.

One good thing about Newcastle and Swansea is they are quite compact cities with everything in easy reach BUT Swansea does have the edge here in that I'm yet to go anywhere that hasn't been walking distance (though there are plenty of buses available if you need them) whereas in Newcastle you may find you are living a little outside the city and prefer using the Metro system.

Both wonderful places and good unis :smile: Swansea has very quickly become my new home city though!
Hope that gives a little bit of insight/comparison?
X
Reply 74
Original post by Ru162
Hello! I am from Newcastle and study in Swansea so have good experience of both!
Both cities are quite cool and rain a LOT, I'd say it's a wee bit warmer in Swansea though because of it's location. Swansea university is right next to the beach and from many rooms in the Uni you can see the sea ! In Newcastle you need to travel about 20 minutes outside the city to get to the coast but it is still very near.
I know people who study law at both Northumbria and Swansea but am afraid I couldn't judge which is "harder" - all seem to find it challenging but enjoy it!
Newcastle has a very vibrant and varied nightlife- there is less on offer in Swansea but this means there is a much more friendly student atmosphere in some places and you always see people you know on nights out.

One good thing about Newcastle and Swansea is they are quite compact cities with everything in easy reach BUT Swansea does have the edge here in that I'm yet to go anywhere that hasn't been walking distance (though there are plenty of buses available if you need them) whereas in Newcastle you may find you are living a little outside the city and prefer using the Metro system.

Both wonderful places and good unis :smile: Swansea has very quickly become my new home city though!
Hope that gives a little bit of insight/comparison?
X

yes thank you very much!
Reply 75
Coming from someone who was at Cardiff uni (has a very good reputation) and changed to swansea, I'm very impressed. I was expecting lower standards and to be honest i was pleasantly surprised.

I'm doing law, always was going to be tough, but the teachers are so much more friendly, I find they explain things so much better as well. They have a lot of time for you. If you struggle with anything it's really easy to go and see a teacher, they have specific time slots that they dedicate to students where you can just walk into their office.

The library isn't noisy, I have no idea what the person was on about who said it was. The night life is great in Swansea (albeit a little rough in places). I still prefer Cardiff for a night out but it's not exactly that much different. It's amazing being across the road from the beach. In the summer it's great for beach parties, even at night I go down to the beach sometimes and have a drink and that with mates. Bonfire night was great this year too as you can see the fireworks clearly from the beach as they were put on on the rugby pitch over the road. Swansea as a whole in the uni league table doesn't rank all that high, it comes up around the middle somewhere. But I've heard from a few people that they are starting to really up their game to compete with much higher unis like cardiff, and I wouldn't be surprised if they succeeded. Cardiff is about 30 places higher in the uni league table than swansea yet I would choose swansea every time
Reply 76
Original post by vicky_21
Coming from someone who was at Cardiff uni (has a very good reputation) and changed to swansea, I'm very impressed. I was expecting lower standards and to be honest i was pleasantly surprised.

I'm doing law, always was going to be tough, but the teachers are so much more friendly, I find they explain things so much better as well. They have a lot of time for you. If you struggle with anything it's really easy to go and see a teacher, they have specific time slots that they dedicate to students where you can just walk into their office.

The library isn't noisy, I have no idea what the person was on about who said it was. The night life is great in Swansea (albeit a little rough in places). I still prefer Cardiff for a night out but it's not exactly that much different. It's amazing being across the road from the beach. In the summer it's great for beach parties, even at night I go down to the beach sometimes and have a drink and that with mates. Bonfire night was great this year too as you can see the fireworks clearly from the beach as they were put on on the rugby pitch over the road. Swansea as a whole in the uni league table doesn't rank all that high, it comes up around the middle somewhere. But I've heard from a few people that they are starting to really up their game to compete with much higher unis like cardiff, and I wouldn't be surprised if they succeeded. Cardiff is about 30 places higher in the uni league table than swansea yet I would choose swansea every time

I agree that Cardiff is perceived as better than Swansea, but to be honest it isn't nearly as great as you're making it out to be. They are both traditional universities with Cardiff edging Swansea mainly due to its history, slightly higher admissions requirements and it arguably offers slightly better education and research overall.

However neither are leading universities, though they may have leading departments. Also university rankings are the devil. They all differ significantly and are a poor reflection of academic strength. There is a far bigger void in reputation between Oxbridge and Cardiff, than Cardiff and Swansea even though league tables may say otherwise.

Anyway Swansea University is good and so is Cardiff. Whether you get a job or not really depends on the individual. Unlike you though I feel that Swansea needs to improve on so many levels. I'm in my final year and frankly I'm hoping to move out to do a masters degree in London as soon as I graduate.

I must stress that Swansea isn't the right university for everyone. Personally I'm not the type to party silly and overall I have only moderately enjoyed my time here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Cardiff Uni is considered a red brick uni. I think it speaks for itself that Cardiff is obviously rated much higher.
Reply 78
i'm in my second year at swansea, and i love everything not related to the course and actual studying, but i'm fast becoming disillusioned with the biology department. personally i don't feel that the first year was anywhere near an adequate preparation for second year (which surely is the whole point of first year if it doesn't count for anything) and when i came back in september i can honestly say it was so i could rejoin the drama society rather than for academic reasons. also i find the library a terrible place to study and for my course at least the access to books and journals is appalling.
Reply 79
Original post by moleman
i'm in my second year at swansea, and i love everything not related to the course and actual studying, but i'm fast becoming disillusioned with the biology department. personally i don't feel that the first year was anywhere near an adequate preparation for second year (which surely is the whole point of first year if it doesn't count for anything) and when i came back in september i can honestly say it was so i could rejoin the drama society rather than for academic reasons. also i find the library a terrible place to study and for my course at least the access to books and journals is appalling.

Lol, I'm pretty sure I know you :P

Quick Reply