(Original post by saiwa)
The library: The main issue is the amount of people there to hang out, eat, and watch youtube or facebook on the limited computers instead of actually 'work' in the 'library'. There are a lot more problems here than 'paper rustling'. I question the amount of work you actually do in the library if you consider it to be a quiet, relaxing place.
1) The silent areas are loud. People talking, etc.
2) The law library is loud. People talking, copiers beeping, construction outside, and floors creaking.
3) The downstairs silent study area: People talking on their phones, floor creaking from law library above, numerous people eating Korean soup filling the area with a kim-chi aroma.
4) The computers are dirty, slow, or not working. Always filled with people on facebook.
5) Uncomfortable chairs. Try sitting in the law library chairs for over an hour.
The town: To me, there are more important aspects of a place than just the night life. Sure, you can get drunk for a good price here. No wonder.... what else is there to do around here? I'd predict for many people, the 'varied' nightlife of this place will become commonplace. Lets look at some of the brief details of the town.
1) Run down.
2) Filled with chavs from up on the hill, begging for change for a Special Brew.
4) Need I mention run down?
5) Inundated with litter.
The nightlife: We have the wonderful chavved up choices of:
1) Oceana (!)
2) Revs (!!!!!)
3) A casino
4) A handful of smelly, sweaty, cheap small bars
The Uni facilities:
1) Also run down.
2) Check out the vomit in the corner of the 8th floor entrance on Penmaen. It has been there for two weeks. A nice example of how the place is kept.
3) Elevators usually broken.
4) Unhelpful and usually rude admin staff.
5) People screaming outside windows at 4:30 AM.
6) It looks like a council estate.
Please feel free to expand upon how this could amount to the best student experience? The town is great if you are a drunk, the university is great if you choose not to do work, or if you are doing a mickey mouse degree. The living accommodations are wonderful if you have incredibly low standards and enjoy living in run down and poverty stricken conditions.
Like I said, the lecturers are decent in my subject, and the beach is a nice element. Aside from that, I am disappointed with the overall quality and conditions of both the town and the university.