The Student Room Group

How long after your first sign on day, do you get paid Job seekers allowance....?

Basically, I signed on for the first time today, but does anyone know how long after until I get paid? Will it be next week or in 2 weeks? Anyone?

edit: the answer depends on whether it is a new claim, more info can be found on this thread!

For more questions around JSA check out:

What questions will they ask?

Can you cope on JSA?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

If you signed on today in the jobcentre you should get paid within two working days and then fortnightly after that :-)
Original post by markyp
Basically, I signed on for the first time today, but does anyone know how long after until I get paid? Will it be next week or in 2 weeks? Anyone?

Usually it's 3 working days after you sign, however if it's a new claim it can take 10-14 days depending on how busy the processing centre is.
I sign on the monday and get paid on the friday, so it's within the week I think :smile:
my boyfriend signed on well over 3 weeks ago and still hasn't had a penny, so it depends. he's just got a job now though. :rolleyes:
3 working days! x
I wondering the same thing, I'm 16 and signed on the 31st may for the first time & a don't know when ill get paid if it'll be the same week or 2 weeks everyone is saying it'll be on the 5th (tuesday) a should be paid but because this jubilee thing a don't know when a get paid anyone know?
Original post by JulieM0123654
I wondering the same thing, I'm 16 and signed on the 31st may for the first time & a don't know when ill get paid if it'll be the same week or 2 weeks everyone is saying it'll be on the 5th (tuesday) a should be paid but because this jubilee thing a don't know when a get paid anyone know?

How are you entitled to JSA when you're 16?
Reply 8
Original post by inksplodge
my boyfriend signed on well over 3 weeks ago and still hasn't had a penny, so it depends. he's just got a job now though. :rolleyes:

Tell him to quit the job and stay on benefits, he'll be better off. Are you a bum as well?
Original post by IRL
Tell him to quit the job and stay on benefits, he'll be better off. Are you a bum as well?

Erm, no. I've been working for the past 3 years. Are you?
It took me 3 months to get my first payment...
Reply 11
JSA...Britain's shame.
Reply 12
Original post by dreamer247
It took me 3 months to get my first payment...

How did that happen?
My first sign on day was Monday and I've not received anything yet.
Original post by klmcl1827
How did that happen?
My first sign on day was Monday and I've not received anything yet.

If you are worried, ring the benefits office. They should be able to confirm if your application has been processed, and if it has when you'll get the payment.

Have your NI number to hand.

As for the 3 months thing, that person probably walked out of their job, or their was other issues with the claim. If you quit you are classed as making yourself unemployed, so you can't normally claim for 3-6 months.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Sir Master of Bate
If you are worried, ring the benefits office. They should be able to confirm if your application has been processed, and if it has when you'll get the payment.

I'm not too worried yet, more desperate, but I've heard it can take longer for your first payment to go through so I don't want to be too hasty and call straight away, it could go in tomorrow i guess.
Ah first payment. You'll be waiting a week or two.

Best to call then to pop into local job center tbh the call center people will have access to your account.
Reply 16
I think i'll wait a week and then give them a call, I have to go in for an interview with my advisor on 2nd anyway. Hopefully it should all work out.
Original post by markyp

You lose 3 days when you first make a claim for JSA.
Ergo, you don't get paid for those 3 days. If you're under 25, you'll get round about £76 when your first pay day comes around. Thereafter, your payments will be full whack.
Original post by Sir Master of Bate

As for the 3 months thing, that person probably walked out of their job, or their was other issues with the claim. If you quit you are classed as making yourself unemployed, so you can't normally claim for 3-6 months.

What is the number for the benifit office ? And when are they open ?
Reply 19
Original post by Kayleigh_Jane_x
What is the number for the benifit office ? And when are they open ?

The power of the Internet my friend, and there is this brilliant website you mean of heard about called 'Google' Type what your looking for into the search box and up it comes.

Your welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest