The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
urm, not sure if thats valid after the match has already started..but he sure is my captain :colone:
And err, couldn't get the "you heard it here first" thing, sorry..:s-smilie:
Original post by Liam 09
Assuming captain changes are allowed after the match has started, he is indeed my captain. And so far the minnows and even Sri Lanka are struggling against his legspin, you heard it here first.

Any changes, captain or otherwise, after the match has started only take effect from the next match. Sorry
Original post by Steph90
Don't be a typical English supporter - looking to shift the shame from England to Pakistan lol.

Lets just assume for a minute that Canada makes the target... without even losing a wicket say.. they will have his 185 runs.

In the Ireland game - several records were broken, including the highest run chase - on top of that Ireland were approx 150/5. They still lost.

The momentum went against them, the bowlers didn't hold their nerve - they lost despite hit 300+ runs.

Pakistan are a great team no doubt - but out of all the 'major' teams, they are probably one of, if not the most inconsistent. Them losing to Canada will NOT be a great upset in any way, shape or form. Pakistan have lost in the past to many weak teams. Ireland in fact comes to mind.

Are you kidding? Canada are the worst team in the tournament whilst Ireland are clearly the best associate nation. In terms of ODI ratings, Ireland are higher than Zimbabwe and closer to Bangladesh and Windies than Canada.
Reply 63
Original post by Captain Crash
Any changes, captain or otherwise, after the match has started only take effect from the next match. Sorry

However, I was just checking the rules and;

"In the event of two matches in a day, you can change your captain any time after the scheduled start of the first match to take effect for the second match - thus effectively having two captains for that day."
Reply 64

Are you kidding? Canada are the worst team in the tournament whilst Ireland are clearly the best associate nation. In terms of ODI ratings, Ireland are higher than Zimbabwe and closer to Bangladesh and Windies than Canada.

It doesn't matter.

If Paksitan had lost to Kenya, I wouldn't have been suprised. Pakistan do it all the time. They are quite inconsistent. You seem to be one of those fans who will cite this when it suits your argument but you're willing to ignore it when it doesn't.

Not only is losing to Ireland a great upset for England, it is the fashion they lost in that makes it an even greater upset. Compound that with the fact they almost lost to NL two games ago.

Pakistan losing to Canada is no biggie if you ask me. It happens.
Original post by Steph90
Don't be a typical English supporter - looking to shift the shame from England to Pakistan lol.

Lets just assume for a minute that Canada makes the target... without even losing a wicket say.. they will have his 185 runs.

In the Ireland game - several records were broken, including the highest run chase - on top of that Ireland were approx 150/5. They still lost.

The momentum went against them, the bowlers didn't hold their nerve - they lost despite hit 300+ runs.

Pakistan are a great team no doubt - but out of all the 'major' teams, they are probably one of, if not the most inconsistent. Them losing to Canada will NOT be a great upset in any way, shape or form. Pakistan have lost in the past to many weak teams. Ireland in fact comes to mind.

I'm not trying to shift shame - England deserves all the shame that comes their way for their performance yesterday. But Pakistan losing to Canada not a great upset in any way, shape or form? You seriously believe that? Canada are the worst team in the tournament, even more so than Kenya. Of course it'll be a great upset. Ireland are a better team than Canada, how can you dispute that?
Reply 66
Original post by Liam 09

"In the event of two matches in a day, you can change your captain any time after the scheduled start of the first match to take effect for the second match - thus effectively having two captains for that day."

Yea, for instance...today when you had two matches for the day and if you had AB de Villiers as the initial captain, then after the scheduled start of the SA vs Netherlands match, you can put Afridi or any other player as your captain and have two captains for the two matches. But you have to make Afridi captain before the start of the Pakistan match.
Still don't think Canada can make it. Run rate is increasing and increasing and our spinners will choke them even further.
Wickets will keep dropping, so not worried yet.
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Still don't think Canada can make it. Run rate is increasing and increasing and our spinners will choke them even further.
Wickets will keep dropping, so not worried yet.

I'am extremely worried- whatever the run rate is the control can shift to Canada if Cheema stays for even 30 minutes.
Reply 69
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent

Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
I'm not trying to shift shame - England deserves all the shame that comes their way for their performance yesterday. But Pakistan losing to Canada not a great upset in any way, shape or form? You seriously believe that? Canada are the worst team in the tournament, even more so than Kenya. Of course it'll be a great upset. Ireland are a better team than Canada, how can you dispute that?

I'm not doubting Ireland are better than Canada.

I'll actually change the essence of what I am saying to this: Our team gets so hyped every match, every tournemant - when we lose the way we just did it - it is way more embarassing and a much bigger upset in the eyes of the media than Canada beating Pakistan.

Even for Canada to hit the target it will have reached 40~ overs. Pakistans batting has always been weak and inconsistent. This has happened to them before. Sometimes their bowling will get them out of a hole - sometimes it doesn't. But in all honesty, I see England losing to Ireland in the way they did a MUCH bigger defeat than anything that could possibly happen to Pakistan today.
Original post by Steph90
I'm not doubting Ireland are better than Canada.

I'll actually change the essence of what I am saying to this: Our team gets so hyped every match, every tournemant - when we lose the way we just did it - it is way more embarassing and a much bigger upset in the eyes of the media than Canada beating Pakistan.

Even for Canada to hit the target it will have reached 40~ overs. Pakistans batting has always been weak and inconsistent. This has happened to them before. Sometimes their bowling will get them out of a hole - sometimes it doesn't. But in all honesty, I see England losing to Ireland in the way they did a MUCH bigger defeat than anything that could possibly happen to Pakistan today.

Yeah, but England are never usually that great an ODI team either are they? We've never been as good at them as we have Tests or Twenty20s, and we always seem to do badly at World Cups. Yeah we managed to beat Bangladesh and Pakistan last summer, but just before this World Cup began we lost 6-1 to Australia which was hardly going to do us any favours - indeed, after that, not many people thought we'd do well at all at this World Cup.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
YES Afridi! How fast was that ball lmao!
Cracker of a game ! Typical pakis !
Reply 73
Original post by Liam 09
YES Afridi! How fast was that ball lmao!

Afridi is jokes, he bowled Lara a bouncer :rofl:
Reply 74

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:
That's the gameee!
46 runs, won comprehensively in the end.
Reply 76
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
That's the gameee!
46 runs, won comprehensively in the end.

Dont know about comprehensively, but a win is a win. That Ajmal wicket changed the game.
Original post by Liam 09

That's kinda what I said...

Anyway, didn't you say you woke up after 9 and miss the start of the Pakistan match?
well afridi what a heroooooooo...just brilliant stuff from el capitano...leading from the front
Reply 79
That's kinda what I said...

Anyway, didn't you say you woke up after 9 and miss the start of the Pakistan match?

Oh crap.
Didn't read the word 'first' in that sentence.

Latest