The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quorn's fine. Tastes just like meat, the stuff I've had anyway...
Reply 21
I tried it in a curry thinking it was chicken. I was very disappointed.
Reply 22
Quorn in it's 'primal' form tends to be rather plain, flavour wise it is a blank canvas and so the overall flavour you will get from it will depend on how you season it. Add a little soy sauce for oomph if you are using the mince. If you are making a mince dish it may require a few more herbs than usual or a stronger tomato base, etc.

The sausages seem to have a weird texture, but each to their own.

I have not had the privelage to try the fillets, but sadly I don't hear good news...
Reply 23
I think it's dependent on preference and what you're used. I'm a big fan of Quorn but there are a few different types I generally don't like. I've been vegetarian for almost eight years now so I don't taste a difference between it and real meat, but my sister loves meat and hates Quorn, she says it tastes 'plastic'.

It's worth a try, I think :smile:
Reply 24
If you like chewing on a vaguely meat flavoured sponge when yes, it's absolutely wonderful.
Reply 25
NOM. i love quorn! the mince is good, especially in chilli.. make a massive batch, have a chilli for dinner and then a chilli jacket potato the next day :coma:
i prefer linda mccartney sausages tbh, also linda mccartney pies are to die for. quorn bacon is epic, i've always hated genuine bacon but loved smokey bacon crisps so this is like, heaven in a sandwich.

i agree that it depends on what you're used to eating. i only eat chicken (& mcdonalds cheeseburgers :biggrin: ) just cos thats all i like the taste of and have been that way for probably about 6 years, so i can't really notice anything plastic-ey or spongey about quorn.. but most of my family don't like it! my boyfriend does though..
Reply 26
It tastes like what **** would taste like in hell. It's ****ing awful.
I love quorn. Thankfully they removed all those nasty trans fats a few years back.
Reply 28
Original post by misst911
I have some issues with meat (incredibly fussy about the veiny bits and gristly bits etc) so I figured I'd try quorn, because it seems to be a plainer texture (like pasta). I've just tried some Quorn chicken style slices and it wasn't bad, but there wasn't much flavour. Do all Quorn products taste the same? And what's good to add to them? Thanks :smile:

Quorn scotch eggs are teh noms.
The escalopes are good as well as they have extra flavourings. I've never eaten meat in my life so I'm pretty used to it all.
Reply 29
THE BEST "QUORN"!!

Go to morrisons and get their own meat free mince and i promise you it's the best thing ever :wink:
I eat a lot of venison, so it would probably seem tasteless to me (mycoprotein has no natural flavour). I'm also a bit put off by thinking about where it comes from (bacterial cultures).
Uh, I tried it when I was going through a vegetarian phase. I can honestly say I've never tried such a poor immitation of meat before. :/ It tasted bland, and only ever had flavour if it was absolutely covered in sauce. It is good for you though.

I just can't imagine having roast dinners with a fake piece of meat. Roast dinners are religion in my house. xD
Reply 32
Quorn is :sogood:
I really dislike Quorn. It has a similar texture to meat, but it's tasteless. People say that it can be nice when cooked in a sauce, such as in bolognese or curry, and while I agree, that's only because you're getting the flavour from the sauce, not the Quorn. Unless you really have a problem with eating meat, I can't see why someone would choose Quorn over actual meat. While Quron chilli might be very nice, the exact same thing with beef mince would be nicer.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think it's OK, although I don't have much basis for comparison. Admittedly, it doesn't taste of much.
This is gonna sound weird, but try cooking quorn mince with marmite. It gives it much more flavour and makes it taste more similar to real mince.
I love Quorn. I'm not a vegetarian, but it makes a nice change to meat sometimes. :smile: Unfortunately I hardly ever have it, cos it makes my dad feel ill.
Mmmm lincolnshire quorn sausages. So good. Just try different brands and things, it doesn't all taste the same =). I personally think the Linda McCartney stuff is horrible. And I tried this quorn bacon once that was like cardboard. But most of it is delicious ^_^.

The Chinese behind my house does DELICIOUS quorn. I have no idea where they get it from, though. Maybe I shouldn't ask.
Reply 38
Quorn acceptable within mouth. Add sauce for excitement
Quorn scotch eggs and sausage rolls are the kings of vegetarian snacks :biggrin:

Latest