The Student Room Group

University Timetables

Hi everyone! Kind of new to this forum thing, so I tried looking around seeing if anyone had asked anything similar but I couldn't see anything, so thought I would ask!

I'm going off to University in September to do Mental Health Nursing. I was just wondering if any MH Nurses (or any type of nurse) currently at uni could give me an example of what their timetable is like?

I would be really interested to see, thank you so much! xx
Reply 1
Hi whixh uni are you heading to? Im off to Bucks New Uni and am also trying to get some info on MH nursing, there seems to be no information online!!!
Reply 2
Hi,

I could also do with some help with this! I've applied for MH nursing in Paisley and Glasgow Caledonian, but I am also in the process of planning my wedding. I can't book my date until I know when summer holidays are roughly. If people could give me an idea when they get their summer holidays, it would be great.
Reply 3
Original post by MissMartin
Hi,

I could also do with some help with this! I've applied for MH nursing in Paisley and Glasgow Caledonian, but I am also in the process of planning my wedding. I can't book my date until I know when summer holidays are roughly. If people could give me an idea when they get their summer holidays, it would be great.

Hello There,

I did Adult Nursing for a year and a half and it was pretty much a packed timetable - the summer holidays can vary and you don't get the same time off as other students doing different courses. I was on placement all summer and only got roughly 3 weeks at the end of August/Sept off.
Reply 4
Totally will depend on your university to be honest guys!

And on whether you're starting in september or a march intake that some places do!

I started on in september 2009, my summer holidays are basically the whole of august and thats it. Christmas is 2 weeks, easter 2 weeks and the odd reading week/empty week dotted here and there in between. Not a huge amount but there we are haha!

As for timetable, in first year we were in 4 or 5 days a week usually sort of 9-4 with some hour gaps so maybe 4-6 hours of lectures a day, in second year we've tended to be in around 4 days a week with 4 hours per day. I'm fairly sure that in third year the contact hours do decrease a bit but thats because a lot of our time will be allocated to working on dissertations eek!

We do our uni time in blocks, and then we will have a placement block where we have no lectures or uni things (except perhaps writing an essay or revising for an exam) and will just work full time in the hospital placement.

Hope this helps a bit!

Try contacting your prospective unis and see if they can give you any idea of timetabling and holidays etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest