The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

The Nottingham Law Logical Reasoning Test

Recently, offers from nottingham for people doing law started to pour in, i got an invitation to sit their entrance paper which i have decided to sit. Does anybody know the format of these papers as all the admissions tutor would say is that it is a test of your logical reasoning. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
George-W-Duck
Recently, offers from nottingham for people doing law started to pour in, i got an invitation to sit their entrance paper which i have decided to sit. Does anybody know the format of these papers as all the admissions tutor would say is that it is a test of your logical reasoning. Thanks in advance.

Read a book on Logic perhaps beforehand?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
corey
Read a book on Logic perhaps beforehand?

An interesting thought but i still wouldnt know the format! :smile:
Reply 3
George-W-Duck
An interesting thought but i still wouldnt know the format! :smile:

Well if its a test of logical reasoning...the format is hardly difficult to guess...
Reply 4
I've been asked to sit the same test. I was disappointed to read only 10% of people sitting the test will get offers! I'd really like to know what the test is going to be like before I decide whether to go or not. I went to a conference at Nottingham in the lower sixth, and really enjoyed it. So I'm a bit messed up about that now!
Reply 5
paymaster
I've been asked to sit the same test. I was disappointed to read only 10% of people sitting the test will get offers! I'd really like to know what the test is going to be like before I decide whether to go or not. I went to a conference at Nottingham in the lower sixth, and really enjoyed it. So I'm a bit messed up about that now!

10% Where did you read that??? I wonder if they say that to cut down people who aren't really keen so they only get the students who want to go there entering the exam.
George-W-Duck
10% Where did you read that??? I wonder if they say that to cut down people who aren't really keen so they only get the students who want to go there entering the exam.

well, it said on the Nottingham letter that 800 people have been invited to do the test, for the sake of 80 places! Hence, the 10% thing...

....but i was wondering, do you think they will give more that 1/10 an offer..on the basis that some may not accept? It didn't make that clear.
Reply 7
Laces
well, it said on the Nottingham letter that 800 people have been invited to do the test, for the sake of 80 places! Hence, the 10% thing...

....but i was wondering, do you think they will give more that 1/10 an offer..on the basis that some may not accept? It didn't make that clear.

Theyll give more offers because theres bound to be a few people with AAA offers who are looking for a reputable AAB uni to fall back on. I know nottingham is way further up the uni tables than newcastle but the admissions tutor told my dad theyd made 500 offers this year (and this was december).

I think were looking at least 30% but when everybody is at such an equal level its bound to be the toss of a coin on who passes it.
Thats exacty what I was thinking. I'd really like to get into Nottingham, but the competition is going to be immense.
It's reassuring to know that offers won't be quite so sparce.

How is the university situation for you, Mr Duck? I'm still waiting to hear back from Warwick, Durham and LSE.

Have you found out any more about the Logic test?
Reply 9
Laces
Thats exacty what I was thinking. I'd really like to get into Nottingham, but the competition is going to be immense.
It's reassuring to know that offers won't be quite so sparce.

How is the university situation for you, Mr Duck? I'm still waiting to hear back from Warwick, Durham and LSE.

Have you found out any more about the Logic test?

Rejected for warwick, due to gcse results, 5 A's at AS and 5 predicted A's and a huge amount of effort overlooked due to something that happened way back in the past. Offers from newcastle, leiceter and leeds, and currently waiting on durham which along with nottingham are my two of choice. Durham is the biggy though!
George-W-Duck
Rejected for warwick, due to gcse results, 5 A's at AS and 5 predicted A's and a huge amount of effort overlooked due to something that happened way back in the past. Offers from newcastle, leiceter and leeds, and currently waiting on durham which along with nottingham are my two of choice. Durham is the biggy though!

5 As at AS and you still get rejected? That is harsh. Does not fill me with confidence. My results sit at GCSEs 4A* 5 As 2 Bs and A levels are AAAB (I'm post a-level) Doing a resit for my B and an AS to try and boost chances, but still very uncertain.

when did you apply to Warwick and when did you get rejected? I can't comprehend why you did.

Durham is the biggy for me also. But i have heard some crazy things about their admissions policy this year!
Reply 11
Laces
5 As at AS and you still get rejected? That is harsh. Does not fill me with confidence. My results sit at GCSEs 4A* 5 As 2 Bs and A levels are AAAB (I'm post a-level) Doing a resit for my B and an AS to try and boost chances, but still very uncertain.

when did you apply to Warwick and when did you get rejected? I can't comprehend why you did.

Durham is the biggy for me also. But i have heard some crazy things about their admissions policy this year!

get a book on legal reasoning tests. They are like grad tests I think you can get a book from waterstones they have them in the section with the grad tests i'm sure it will give you an indication at least
Laces

I applied early october, within the oxbridge deadline but i didnt apply there. Got rejected early december. My GCSE's were low in comparison to most law students 2A* 5A 3B and a C and they have come back to haunt me. Im taking all my 5 subjects (though one is general studies) to full A level to try and boost my chances but whether it comes off i dont know, lets hope so :smile:
George-W-Duck
I applied early october, within the oxbridge deadline but i didnt apply there. Got rejected early december. My GCSE's were low in comparison to most law students 2A* 5A 3B and a C and they have come back to haunt me. Im taking all my 5 subjects (though one is general studies) to full A level to try and boost my chances but whether it comes off i dont know, lets hope so :smile:

Hey! I did worse than you :smile: 5As, 2Bs and a C!!! Heee!! I got rejected by Cambridge so far but accepted by Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and waiting for Durham to give me a college.
Reply 14
i dont think nottinghams competiton is that intense for law! someone i know got an offer for ABB straight away ages ago for nottingham law, with no work experience and AABB at AS level.
Reply 15
I found out today Ive got a test at Notts for law on 17th - mine took so long to come through I thought they'd forgotten me!! Ive got the feeling its gona be very similar to the Cambridge test - given a section of text and some laws then asked essay questions on it hmm...mind u i didnt get into cambridge so i might be destined for another rejection!! My friend has a test on the same day for law, i feel bad we're competing against each other, but i have one more AS than him wooo (ok i know it gives me no advantage ah well!!) Ive not got my hopes set too high cos theres so much competition - but notts is my first choice the pain....

Latest

Trending

Trending