The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

I want a specific hall

I have a specific hall that i would like to live in but you cant apply to individual halls through the website. but is there a way i could get around this by emailing or something?

Scroll to see replies

Dont think so. They scrapped the system they had last year where you could choose your halls so now its pretty much random.
You could always try I guess but I doubt you'd get very far.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by crowsoverhead
Dont think so. They scrapped the system they had last year where you could choose your halls so now its pretty much random.
You could always try I guess but I doubt you'd get very far.

This
Reply 3
You can put a specific hall in the preference box, or email them after and they consider it, but give no guarentees.
Reply 4
Original post by Cermo
You can put a specific hall in the preference box, or email them after and they consider it, but give no guarentees.

This also

The preference box is on the 3rd page of the application form. Put your preferred site and bedroom types down first and then go to the next page.

Open the individual requirements box and enter the hall name you prefer. As Cermo said, this is just a request not an application for the specific hall. We will look at your request but don't expect to get it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sking93
I have a specific hall that i would like to live in but you cant apply to individual halls through the website. but is there a way i could get around this by emailing or something?

When I applied to the UCL accommodation office I send off a paper application. You couldn't choose halls, but I wrote in the margin 'could you please put me in X hall if possible?' or something like that, and they did :smile:
Original post by BrenLee
This also

The preference box is on the 2rd page of the application form. Put your preferred site and bedroom types down first and then go to the next page.

Open the individual requirements box and enter the hall name you prefer. As Cermo said, this is just a request not an application for the specific hall. We will look at your request but don't expect to get it.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but do you know how the experiment with letting people chose halls has "failed", exactly?
Reply 7
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but do you know how the experiment with letting people chose halls has "failed", exactly?

The management have told us to revert back to the no hall option system so no I can't say for sure.

I have theories but putting unsubstantiated theories out there would probably cause more harm than good.
Its to stop all the Rahs ending up in Cripps and HuStu

and in answer to the op.
We all want things we can't always get them. You'll live. Ending up in Flo Bo over Cripps wont be the end of you.
Reply 9
Original post by veggie4life
Its to stop all the Rahs ending up in Cripps and HuStu

and in answer to the op.
We all want things we can't always get them. You'll live. Ending up in Flo Bo over Cripps wont be the end of you.

It's nothing to do with 'Rahs' to my knowledge.
Reply 10
Original post by BrenLee
The management have told us to revert back to the no hall option system so no I can't say for sure.

I have theories but putting unsubstantiated theories out there would probably cause more harm than good.

But... this is TSR, the home of unsubstantiated theories :confused:

C'mon, give us a clue. Is it because the halls were becoming stereotyped?
Original post by py0alb
But... this is TSR, the home of unsubstantiated theories :confused:

C'mon, give us a clue. Is it because the halls were becoming stereotyped?

Or because it required extra work?
Reply 12
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Or because it required extra work?

It didn't require extra work really. In fact by stopping the hall requests we are seeing a tonne more work for us when we start allocating. Mainly because everyone is putting a note on requesting this hall and that hall.

Like I said though, I really, honestly don't know the reason why it has changed.
Reply 13
Why do you want specific halls? Friends?
I think they just randomize it, but I'm sure if you call accommodation then they'll put your name down or something.
Reply 14
i just prefer some halls and didnt like others after seeing them. also closer to my course etc...
Reply 15
Original post by BrenLee

The preference box is on the 2rd page of the application form.

May prove difficult to find that page. :tongue:

Unless it's like.. the rear side of the second page, that is?

_Kar.
Reply 16
returners can, lenton & wortley ensuite yes please
Original post by BrenLee
This also

The preference box is on the 2rd page of the application form. Put your preferred site and bedroom types down first and then go to the next page.

I was set on random hall, but I do have a cousin who went to a hall and it was very nice. Who do I email to see if this can sway my hall decision? also I was offered Derby hall in 2010 but deferred a year instead. Definitely regretting not trying my luck now.
Reply 18
Original post by Reformed2010
I was set on random hall, but I do have a cousin who went to a hall and it was very nice. Who do I email to see if this can sway my hall decision? also I was offered Derby hall in 2010 but deferred a year instead. Definitely regretting not trying my luck now.

No such luck I'm afraid. Alumni requests must be immediate family.
Reply 19
Original post by Kareir
May prove difficult to find that page. :tongue:

Unless it's like.. the rear side of the second page, that is?

_Kar.

nice spot thnx....and edited.

Quick Reply

Latest