The Student Room Group

Engineer with maths degree?

Hi guys!

I was just wondering, is it possible to become an engineer with a degree in maths or physics, more so a petroleum engineer?

Thanks
Getting your foot in the door without an engineering degree will probably be the hardest part. From what I've seen (and I've been applying to loads of companies in the petroleum industry), nearly all the graduate schemes require an MEng degree.

The best advice if you want to become a petroleum engineer is to study either a mechanical, chemical or petroleum engineering degree at a university based in a city that has strong links with the petroleum industry.
Reply 2
Its gonna be real hard - I looked at going into engineering from physics. Even doing a masters in engineering doesnt get you a masters in engineering, it gets you a masters in science in engineering. Crucial difference (its MSc, not MEng!) All grad schemes I looked at were for MEng, or maybe BEng and MSc etc but not Mwhatever and MSc(in engineering)

Its very very annoying - makes me want to hit the teachers that told me "yeah, if you want to do engineering do a physics degree!" grr
Original post by Hanvyj
Its gonna be real hard - I looked at going into engineering from physics. Even doing a masters in engineering doesnt get you a masters in engineering, it gets you a masters in science in engineering. Crucial difference (its MSc, not MEng!) All grad schemes I looked at were for MEng, or maybe BEng and MSc etc but not Mwhatever and MSc(in engineering)

Its very very annoying - makes me want to hit the teachers that told me "yeah, if you want to do engineering do a physics degree!" grr

It might depend on the engineering discipline?

For example I know that for Civil and Structural (possibly petroleum counts as part of "Civil" here), professional qualification with the institutions (i.e. Chartership) is a major milestone in any engineer's career. Once you achieve this you increase in value a lot so civil and structural companies expect you to be planning on working towards it. The institutions require the university course you studied to have met particular criteria for it to be sufficient academic preparation for you to become chartered. All institution-accredited courses are either BEng or MEng which is why companies require these sorts of degree. Also, I think civil is particularly heavy (as far as engineering disciplines go) on non-theoretical topics which won't have been covered in any course that isn't specifically geared towards engineering.

With other disciplines where there is more crossover with more "pure" sciences I'd have thought you'd have more luck, e.g. maths / computer science for information engineering, physics for electronics, materials science etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Hanvyj

An MEng is not that special. It's typically an extra 120 credits at L7 whereas the MSc in Engineerring is 180credits at L7. An MSc in an engineering discipline will be fine.
Reply 5
Coming from an engineering student, there is no way you can become an engineer (chartered eventually) withough at least a Bachelors in Engineering (BEng, which has to be accredited by whatever institute, for me it's IChemE) a BSc won't suffice even if you do an MSc in whatever Engineering.
Original post by kingkev
Coming from an engineering student, there is no way you can become an engineer (chartered eventually) withough at least a Bachelors in Engineering (BEng, which has to be accredited by whatever institute, for me it's IChemE) a BSc won't suffice even if you do an MSc in whatever Engineering.

You can. I've met plenty. :smile:
Original post by Hanvyj

So what are engineering degrees for then?
Reply 8
Original post by Stefanb
Hi guys!

I was just wondering, is it possible to become an engineer with a degree in maths or physics, more so a petroleum engineer?

Thanks

How about Petrophysics?

From (BP):

Joining Petrophysics
Working in this key integrating subsurface discipline, our Petrophysicists define the volume and distribution of oil and gas and the flow characteristics of BP reservoirs. They investigate the reservoir rocks and fluids (porosity, permeability, fluid flow behaviour, presence and saturation of oil and gas,). This involves the integration of direct measurements of reservoir properties on core and fluid samples with sophisticated indirect measurements, the latter acquired with tools lowered into boreholes. These tools measure the nuclear, electrical and acoustic response of rocks and the integrated results are used to predict the volume of the hydrocarbons and methods of extraction.
As a graduate joining our multidisciplinary and multicultural subsurface team, you’ll work in exploration, field development or in a producing asset. Here, you’ll interact with drilling, geoscientists, petroleum and reservoir engineers as well as commercial and other disciplines to turn your evaluations into action. All of this will take a willingness to learn, a passion to excel and deliver results and a strong academic record in geoscience, geophysics, geology, earth sciences, engineering, mathematics or physics. We also welcome applications from graduates with an MSc or PhD in relevant disciplines.

BP have a "Degree Matcher" programme which will list which career their graduates go on to dependant to what subject they have studied.

For a Masters in Physics it lists:

Drilling and Completion Engineer
Offshore/Subsea Engineer

Source:
http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9023260&contentId=7043183

Probably the best idea is speak to specific companies and see what they say.
Reply 9
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
So what are engineering degrees for then?

I was told I could do either engineering or physics (to do engineering) - physics would be a better option because its less specialized and thus "opens more doors" (the opposite is true)

I also chose physics because I had done it, as apposed to engineering which I had never done before

Quick Reply