The Student Room Group

Integration by parts: help!

Hi,

please help, this is driving me crazy. I'm trying to integrate:

esx16(ex2+xex2)dx\int e^{sx} \frac{1}{6} (e^{\frac{-x}{2}} + xe^{\frac{-x}{2}}) dx
Reply 1
The expression is not clear to me. You have e to the power something x. The something looks like an 8?

I can't open your WORD document because you are using docx. Can you save as a normal WORD document?
Original post by steve2005
The expression is not clear to me. You have e to the power something x. The something looks like an 8?

I can't open your WORD document because you are using docx. Can you save as a normal WORD document?

edit: it is e^sx
Reply 3
At the end of the day, you have

16eax+xebxdx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{ax} + x e^{bx}\,dx for suitable choices of a and b. Knowing your ability, this should not be difficult!
Original post by DFranklin
At the end of the day, you have

16eax+xebxdx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{ax} + x e^{bx}\,dx for suitable choices of a and b. Knowing your ability, this should not be difficult!

I haven't done this in a long time :P

should I multiply out the brackets first i.e. e^sx multiplied by every term in the brackets?
Reply 5
Yes.
16esxx2+xesxx2dx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}} + xe^{\frac{sx-x}{2}} dx
=16[esxx2s12+[xesxx2s12esxx2s12dx]=\frac{1}{6} [\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}}+[x\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} - \int \frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} dx]

is that right so far?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Looks OK. Check with Wolfram Alpha at the end...
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
16esxx2+xesxx2dx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}} + xe^{\frac{sx-x}{2}} dx
=16[esxx2s12+[xesxx2s12esxx2s12dx]=\frac{1}{6} [\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}}+[x\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} - \int \frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} dx]

is that right so far?

continuing...

=16[esxx2s12+[xesxx2s12[1s12esxx2dx]=\frac{1}{6} [\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} + [x\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} - [\frac{1}{s-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}} dx]
16[esxx2s12+[xesxx2s12[1s12[esxx2s12]]]]\frac{1}{6} [\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} + [x\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}} - [\frac{1}{s-\frac{1}{2}} [\frac{e^{\frac{sx-x}{2}}}{s-\frac{1}{2}}]]]]

still ok?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Looks about right. You would make life much simpler if you defined a=s12 a = s - \frac{1}{2}, then you'd just be integrating

16eax+xeaxdx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{ax} + x e^{ax}\,dx
Original post by DFranklin
Looks about right. You would make life much simpler if you defined a=s12 a = s - \frac{1}{2}, then you'd just be integrating

16eax+xeaxdx\frac{1}{6} \int e^{ax} + x e^{ax}\,dx

how can I proceed from the last line of my working?
Reply 11
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
how can I proceed from the last line of my working?

You've already done the integration fine, any tidying up is just algebra.

If you define a=s12a= s-\frac{1}{2} as DFranklin said, you can end up with

eax6a(1+x1a)\displaystyle \frac{e^{ax}}{6a}\left(1+x-\frac{1}{a}\right)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by .matt
You've already done the integration fine, any tidying up is just algebra.

If you define a=s12a= s-\frac{1}{2} as DFranklin said, you can end up with

eax6a(1+x1a)\displaystyle \frac{e^{ax}}{6a}\left(1+x-\frac{1}{a}\right)

how canI tidy it up further?

Quick Reply

Latest