Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

The Internet and Gaming at Newcastle University

Scroll to see replies

Just got this:

Christopher

The networking in student accommodation uses a VPN system for authentication.

I believe the xbox and playstation does not have support for the VPN built into it.

Without this support it would be difficult to get gaming to work.

However, we will look at this again....

Regards

Ian Alder
ISS Network team
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Kylepott
If you e-mailed using your personal e-mail account then that is why they want your log in details. Just making sure your a student.

Its not looking good so far, thinking about it, i highly doubt we will be able to torrent or anything on the network :/

Lack of free films and music for me!

I know dude, I've filled up a 1TB harddrive with films, tv series, anime etc while I can still torrent..
Reply 42
Original post by cdsmith1990
I know dude, I've filled up a 1TB harddrive with films, tv series, anime etc while I can still torrent..

This is what I have done, only way we'll be able to download/stream anything!
Is this what you guys plan on doing during like... Freshers? Being alone in your rooms playing Black Ops?

It's probably been said before but really, do get out more with people while at University or at least make the effort.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ifstatement
Is this what you guys plan on doing during like... Freshers? Being alone in your rooms playing Black Ops?

It's probably been said before but really, do get out more with people while at University or at least make the effort.

Yeah, I plan on moving hundreds of miles away from home to sit in my room playing Black Ops :roll:

Of course not, I plan on doing as much as possible during Freshers and the rest of my time at uni, but gaming is a hobby of mine (one of many, in fact) so it was worth asking if it would be possible.

My few best mates and a couple of my cousins play on Xbox Live, so I was hoping to be able to have an hour or 2 each week on there, to keep in touch with them, as I'm not exactly going to be able to pop back home whenever I feel like it.
Anyway, in more relevant news, I just got this email... looks like it's a no-go guys..

Christopher

We have looked at this.

Unfortunately, without VPN support in games platforms, it will not work.

Removing the need for VPN authentication in halls would mean redesigning the halls networking, which will not be a trivial task.

So, for the moment, I am afraid we cannot get Xbox or PS gaming to work.

Ian Alder
ISS Network team
Reply 46

Who said this?

Can't see where anybody said they would be sat playing fifa/black ops during freshers...

Should we all live beyond freshers week we will all have a considerable amount of time on our hands after lectures and stuff.
I asked about Skype as well:

We have just tried skype.

If you choose SOCKS as the proxy method in skype it worked.

Regards

Ian Alder
ISS Network Team
Reply 48
At least we tried...
Reply 49
That sucks!

Are you sure it is a VPN issue though not just a case of opening ports?

If it is VPN then they have to re-design the network like the IT guy said but I thought it was just ports...?
Is this kind of fascist internet policy common in the UK or is it rare cases like Newcastle?
You will hardly be doing any gaming once the exams and essays kick in (unless you don't want a 2.1+ degree), that and also balancing social life. Well you will see...
Reply 52
You will hardly be doing any gaming once the exams and essays kick in (unless you don't want a 2.1+ degree), that and also balancing social life. Well you will see...

Pft, there's tens of thousands of people that can do all that and have done that in university, and still get in some time gaming too.

You just have to be time efficient.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Its alright guys, sad to see it didn't work.

However, In first year, I got really into single player RPG's and Tekken. One is great for alone time, second good fun while pissed with mates.

Then, when you've done first year (passes faster than any academic year you have ever done) you can get a house and play COD/Halo/WoW..

My story, and it was easier than I thought :smile:
Reply 54

Wish i'd done all this complaining last year might of got somewhere by now!

Don't worry about stocking up a HD, filesonic and rapidshare etc all work fine through the VPN. Rapidshare was giving me 12mb/s. Downloading a HD film in under 5minutes is pretty nice.

Normal film in seconds is great too!
Original post by hedfunk
Wish i'd done all this complaining last year might of got somewhere by now!

Don't worry about stocking up a HD, filesonic and rapidshare etc all work fine through the VPN. Rapidshare was giving me 12mb/s. Downloading a HD film in under 5minutes is pretty nice.

Normal film in seconds is great too!

Cool, cheers for that!

Do you need a program like Bit Torrent for those? Or do you just download and unzip them? Will they be OK to download on a Mac?
Reply 56
Download a program called Internet download manager, buy a filesonic acount ($9 a month), google whatever you want to download with 'filesonic' after it, and you'll get links to rar files. It's not a torrent, they're files uploaded to filesonic servers that you can download from. You don't need IDM, but it makes it alot easier as you can queue links. Will be fine on a mac.

There are other places that files are uploaded too, Rapidshare used to be the favourite, now it's filesonic. I had to buy a 2TB HD to hold all the stuff I downloaded, Lord of the rings extended edition in high definition. Brilliant.

What halls are you in?
Original post by hedfunk
Download a program called Internet download manager, buy a filesonic acount ($9 a month), google whatever you want to download with 'filesonic' after it, and you'll get links to rar files. It's not a torrent, they're files uploaded to filesonic servers that you can download from. You don't need IDM, but it makes it alot easier as you can queue links. Will be fine on a mac.

There are other places that files are uploaded too, Rapidshare used to be the favourite, now it's filesonic. I had to buy a 2TB HD to hold all the stuff I downloaded, Lord of the rings extended edition in high definition. Brilliant.

What halls are you in?

Sound man, I'll look into that. I made a massive list of films that I've been going through over the past few weeks, 90% of them are 720p rips, nearly finished the list and have got like a third of my HDD space left :biggrin:

I'm in Windsor Terrace dude, you?
Reply 58
Sound man, I'll look into that. I made a massive list of films that I've been going through over the past few weeks, 90% of them are 720p rips, nearly finished the list and have got like a third of my HDD space left :biggrin:

I'm in Windsor Terrace dude, you?

I was in Windsor Terrace last year, 9A. I've got a house round the corner now.
Original post by hedfunk
I was in Windsor Terrace last year, 9A. I've got a house round the corner now.

Ah cool :smile:

Was it easy for you to get a house right by Windsor Terrace then? I wouldn't mind staying in that area to be honest..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending