The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

The Internet and Gaming at Newcastle University

:smile:

Hi Newcastle Students and Applicants! I've got an unconditional offer and I understand most rooms have internet access, that there's 24hr computers that are (relatively) up to date across the uni and there's wifi across most of the campus. However I'm wondering a few things about the internet at Newcastle University:

How are the download and upload speeds?

Can you connect to the steam (PC) service?

How are torrents?

Can you connect to PSN?

Can you connect to XBL?

What sort of download cap is there?

Other than those mentioned, what sort of restrictions are there on playing videogames and TV streaming(iPlayer, 4OD etc)? :holmes:

How are video conferencing abilities (skype etc.)?

Thanks in advance, Newcastle people :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fusilero

Hi Newcastle Students and Applicants! I've got an unconditional offer and I understand most rooms have internet access, that there's 24hr computers that are (relatively) up to date across the uni and there's wifi across most of the campus. However I'm wondering a few things about the internet at Newcastle University:

How are torrents?

Can you connect to PSN?

Can you connect to XBL?

Other than those mentioned, what sort of restrictions are there on playing videogames and TV streaming(iPlayer, 4OD etc)? :holmes:

Bloody hell mate, your doing medicine! :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Legit
Bloody hell mate, your doing medicine! :biggrin:

Doctors need their Black Ops fix too :colone:
Reply 3

How are torrents?

Can you connect to PSN?

Can you connect to XBL?

Hi, sorry to disappoint,
Unless you choose victoria halls your running through a VPN, so that means no outsid client software, only port 80 being open.
So no XBL, no PSN, no WoW, no Steam.
Other than that (streaming), no download restrictions.

Ant
Reply 4
Original post by Cheri
Hi, sorry to disappoint,
Unless you choose victoria halls your running through a VPN, so that means no outsid client software, only port 80 being open.
So no XBL, no PSN, no WoW, no Steam.
Other than that (streaming), no download restrictions.

Ant

Port 80, but that's the most useless port. :angry: Ah well, thanks anyway.
Reply 5
Can you not ask them to open the ports needed for Xbox Live and PSN, anybody tried?
Reply 6

How are torrents?

Can you connect to PSN?

Can you connect to XBL?

Irrespective of whatever internet is offered in halls, lots of gamers in the north east go to Cyber Games Zone, which is located halfway between the gate and the centre for life; next to lots of Asian food places on the other side of Clayton Street (if you know Newcastle, that is). It is a relatively cheap way to try new games and meet people.
Reply 7
Original post by JClive
Can you not ask them to open the ports needed for Xbox Live and PSN, anybody tried?

Anybody asked the IT dept. at Newcastle Uni this?
Reply 8
Yeah I'm on VPN, I can barely make phone calls in my room(0-3 bar reception) and I have to go to the computer cluster once every few times I can be bothered to carry my laptop and/or have time to play my MMO's. When I first realised I couldn't play I got desperate and used my phone for wireless but 2-5 second lag is too traumatic.
Reply 9
They hopefully sorted this this year. If anyone ever finds they didnt, please bash them, say it was asked and promised in 2010 that the VPN would be open to gaming.
Reply 10
Original post by Cheri
They hopefully sorted this this year. If anyone ever finds they didnt, please bash them, say it was asked and promised in 2010 that the VPN would be open to gaming.

Really?

Awesome, need my 360 and MW3, FIFA 12...ect!
Reply 11
Original post by JClive
Really?

Yeah really need to play FIFA online, comes out the Friday after we all arrive too!
Original post by Cheri

How do you know this dude?

Be awesome if you're right, means I won't be 2 months behind my mates on MW3 lol
Reply 13
All i can vouch is that I asked in january and they said they were looking into it, so i dont know whats going on with it atm.

Sent: 04 January 2011 08:43
To:
Blabbaby Blah
Hello,

Unfortunately we will not open any ports to play games at the moment, we
are looking into the playing of
online games in halls and hopefully we will have a resolution soon.

Regards

Deborah
IT Service Desk
Information Systems and Services

Email: [email protected]
Tel: 0191 222 5999
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by JClive
Really?

Please note this is only through the wired VPN. The posher halls, victoria halls and the campus have wireless, which does not block ports...
Reply 15
Does Bowsden have wireless?

Sucks if we can't play online, was planning on using it as the main way to keep in touch with all my friends back home.
Reply 16
Original post by Cheri
All i can vouch is that I asked in january and they said they were looking into it, so i dont know whats going on with it atm.

If we all badger them they might open ports for gaming, Leazes doesn't have wireless so I am screwed then.

Hopefully they open ports for september.
Reply 17
Original post by JClive
If we all badger them they might open ports for gaming, Leazes doesn't have wireless so I am screwed then.

Hopefully they open ports for september.

Could be worth a good few of us e-mailing beforehand to remind them whilst they have time and before anyone is on campus.
Reply 18
Original post by Kylepott
Could be worth a good few of us e-mailing beforehand to remind them whilst they have time and before anyone is on campus.

Good idea, is there a specific email address for the IT department or just try the helpdesk email?
Reply 19
Original post by JClive
Good idea, is there a specific email address for the IT department or just try the helpdesk email?

I have no idea, hopefully the fella that asked them last year can give us an E-mail address?

Quick Reply

Latest