Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student finance - household income changes

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to university this September so will be applying for student finance very soon. I'm not from a particularly affluent family so am hoping that I'll be able to get a fair bit of help, but my household income will decrease quite significantly over the summer, due to tax credits/maintenance payments stopping. However by then I will have already applied for financial help but with a higher household income which won't be what my household income will be when I start uni.
    Basically, do I declare the current household income or the household income I will have when I start university?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apply for it with your details now, then use the change of circumstance part of the form as your income changes.
    Basically, don't worry too much for now. There's loads of time before you're actually going to be awarded anything.
    The main thing is to get your form submitted as soon as you can and make changes later.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is your current household income.

If you provide your predicted household income, then that could have negative ramifications. For example, it could be perceived that you are trying to 'cheat' the system.

I'd call up Student Finance help line and deliver your query to them.

Although, I'm not 100% certain that tax credits / maintenance payments are taken into account when assessing household income.

It's best to ask Student Finance themselves, as they will know

Hope this helps
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemeter)
    I'm hopefully going to university this September so will be applying for student finance very soon. I'm not from a particularly affluent family so am hoping that I'll be able to get a fair bit of help, but my household income will decrease quite significantly over the summer, due to tax credits/maintenance payments stopping. However by then I will have already applied for financial help but with a higher household income which won't be what my household income will be when I start uni.
    Basically, do I declare the current household income or the household income I will have when I start university?
    Does that make a difference? I thought it was just earnings from a job they counted - in the summer between 6th form and uni my dad stopped paying maintenance and tax credits stopped and it didn't make a difference to my application :dontknow:

EDIT: I'm almost certain that they don't take those into account when applying, because I have the maximum UCL bursary which is awarded to those with a household income of less than £12,100, and if they had included tax credits and maintenance my household income would have been higher than that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You apply now using the financial info required that for year 2009-10. Then in April you download and send off a current year assessment form. This is not the same as a change of circumstance form and you will be reassessed. You will need to prove your circumstances in April 2012.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2011
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.