The Student Room Group

Oxford Fine Art Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by -mai-
For the Fine Art course at Ruskin, you have to do a certain amount of drawing as part of the course - anatomy etc, so obviously being able to draw would help! But I don't think whether you're good or incredible at drawing would sway their decision to give you an offer as I think they value your art work and creative process, your individuality etc more than technical ability. I have an offer to start in October, and although I can draw (but not amazingly) I didn't include much drawing at all in my portfolio nor did I really do any in the drawing exam, so for all they know I could be absolutely terrible at drawing!

Thank you for your answer :smile:
And congrats for the offer! Can I ask you what were you studying at sixth form?
Reply 21
Original post by loupolou
Thank you for your answer :smile:
And congrats for the offer! Can I ask you what were you studying at sixth form?

Thanks! I did the International Baccalaureate - so HL Art, English, French, along with SL Maths, Physics and Psychology :smile: but I applied during my foundation year at Wimbledon :smile:
Reply 22
Hi I was wondering If anyone here either is applying for fine art/ or has applied/ got in in the past. Just need some help with my portfolio, as well as some questions about it!!

Thanks!!
Reply 23
Original post by -mai-
Thanks! I did the International Baccalaureate - so HL Art, English, French, along with SL Maths, Physics and Psychology :smile: but I applied during my foundation year at Wimbledon :smile:

Oh that's brilliant I do the IB as well! Do you think it is definitely better to do a foundation year then to apply? Or HL Art is sufficient? I do HL Art as well, and even if the programme is quite heavy, I'm scared to apply just with the IB
Reply 24
Original post by mhlc
Hi I was wondering If anyone here either is applying for fine art/ or has applied/ got in in the past. Just need some help with my portfolio, as well as some questions about it!!

Thanks!!

I'm applying this year. how about u?
Reply 25
Original post by irina793
I'm applying this year. how about u?

Same, I'm finding it confusing with the portfolio requirements, I'm not very used to the UK art application thing hah. Anyways I was wondering since I have large paintings i need to put it, i am photographing them and printing them. Would it be ok if the portfolio case is normal page size?

Also how do you include the journal. Do you take photos of it? Or just include it.

Thanks !
Reply 26
Original post by mhlc
Same, I'm finding it confusing with the portfolio requirements, I'm not very used to the UK art application thing hah. Anyways I was wondering since I have large paintings i need to put it, i am photographing them and printing them. Would it be ok if the portfolio case is normal page size?

Also how do you include the journal. Do you take photos of it? Or just include it.

Thanks !

Well, my portfolio is A1 size and I included what was over A1 as you said, photographed the work and printed it. But sure, if you want to make it smaller, you can make it A4 or A3, it's perfectly fine. And yeah, I think you are supposed to put in the original sketchbooks.

(It's so cool that you're applying this year too :biggrin: I'll PM you with some questions of my own :smile: ).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by loupolou
Oh that's brilliant I do the IB as well! Do you think it is definitely better to do a foundation year then to apply? Or HL Art is sufficient? I do HL Art as well, and even if the programme is quite heavy, I'm scared to apply just with the IB

Definitely do a foundation! I know a lot of work is done during IB, but most of the stuff in my portfolio was from the first month or two of my foundation. It is just a really good idea to do foundation to discover what you're really into and to develop your work. Also, when I started foundation I had intended to apply for theatre design degrees!
I know you need at least a grade 'A' at A-Level, for Fine Art, but do you also need very good drawing abilities/skills? :\

(Apparently, learning anatomy is a big part of the course, so do you have to be really good (near perfect anatomy), or...?)

Thanks in advance! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think you'll probably struggle to get an answer to this from a current student. There are very few on here doing this. You might like to look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27049782&highlight=

RBranigan seems a helpful chap. You could try asking him.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think you'll probably struggle to get an answer to this from a current student. There are very few on here doing this. You might like to look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27049782&highlight=

RBranigan seems a helpful chap. You could try asking him.

Aha Yes, I've saw him around before. Thanks, for the link! :smile:

(btw, I was really nervous when I saw you reply, as I know you're an English teacher. That makes me really nervous, because my grammar, punuation, ect, Isn't the best. :lol: Thanks again!)
Original post by Dominicque
Aha Yes, I've saw him around before. Thanks, for the link! :smile:

(btw, I was really nervous when I saw you reply, as I know you're an English teacher. That makes me really nervous, because my grammar, punuation, ect, Isn't the best. :lol: Thanks again!)

Oh dear! I hope I'm not intimidating! I don't mean to be scary!
Reply 32
I got some questions about the fine art course! :smile:

What do you do? Do you go to lectures to learn about art in general or do you draw draw draw?
I want to work as an illustrator/animatior/fine artist(not modern art) but I wouln't mind TRYING modern art - would this course be of any value?
Is the material free?
What is the future of people reading fine art at Oxford? Can people support themself from their art?
Do one need top grades even if it is a practical course?

Many questions I know X)

And I tried to post this in the course forum but I wasn't allowed X,)
Read this first.

:sheep:
Reply 34
Yes I've read it but it doesn't say if the course is really a good foundation for an artist who doesn't want to work with modern art, neither it says how much time is spent acually doing art - model drawing etc
I'm not doing Fine Art, so have no idea about detailed stuff like this! The number of people doing Fine Art at Oxford is pretty small, and I don't know if any of them use TSR; judging by this thread, where all posters are (prospective) applicants, rather than current students, perhaps not.

TBH, your best bet for questions like this would be to contact the Ruskin School directly ([email protected] )or one of the FA tutors and ask. Open day was last week, so you've missed that, but if you're fairly local you could always see if you could arrange a visit - they don't bite.

:sheep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by athiria
I got some questions about the fine art course! :smile:

What do you do? Do you go to lectures to learn about art in general or do you draw draw draw?
I want to work as an illustrator/animatior/fine artist(not modern art) but I wouln't mind TRYING modern art - would this course be of any value?
Is the material free?
What is the future of people reading fine art at Oxford? Can people support themself from their art?
Do one need top grades even if it is a practical course?

Many questions I know X)

And I tried to post this in the course forum but I wasn't allowed X,)

So...if you don't want to do modern art, DON'T apply! The course is meant to create artists (that create modern art...)
Reply 37
1. Are you going or did you went to this school (can you tell me more about it)?

2. Which college did you choose (how did you make choice and are some colleges more supportive of Art then other)?

3. What did you get in your A levels?

4. How important were your grades when you were entering for Art at Rusking School of Art (do you know anybody who did not get AAA or AAB and still got a place)?
wrong university section. this is for oxford brookes not univeristy of oxford
Reply 39
Hi! I'm just applying this year, so i don't know how much help I can be, but here's my two cents on the matter:
Some colleges don't have art tutors, so I think it's good to pick a college that does. And I don't think anyone has gotten in with less than AAB, sorry :frown:
Are you thinking of applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending