The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i thought a pint of guinness was something like 500 cals, and yes a roast dinner will be way more than 170 cals.
Michelob low carb beer is probably the one your thinking of and you can also get coors light, these are the main "healthy" beers.
jameso88
i thought a pint of guinness was something like 500 cals, and yes a roast dinner will be way more than 170 cals.
Michelob low carb beer is probably the one your thinking of and you can also get coors light, these are the main "healthy" beers.

have you tried either, just I drink an alarming ammount of beer on what I would call 'a good night out' and its starting to show :frown:
Steeeeevo
have you tried either, just I drink an alarming ammount of beer on what I would call 'a good night out' and its starting to show :frown:

youd get ragged real bad for drinking low calorie beer though! well where I live you would anyway.
Reply 23
Gin and slimline tonic only has around 70 cals and is the lowest there is. A glass of white wine is quite good too.
Rooftopcowboy
youd get ragged real bad for drinking low calorie beer though! well where I live you would anyway.

lol, you would probably raise the odd eyebrow where I live, but I don’t think it would go as far as a savage beating :biggrin: now alcopops, that’s a different matter :biggrin:
Reply 25
I drank alot on one night and i had 9 bottles of cools light and they must be the lowest calorie alchohol ever because i threw it all back up, they taste like crap and make you feel even worse, I reccomend if u want 2 drink - Drink properly! Don't mess around worrying about all this low calorie business, just drink on weekends and cut down in the week :smile:.
Elipsis
I drank alot on one night and i had 9 bottles of cools light and they must be the lowest calorie alchohol ever because i threw it all back up, they taste like crap and make you feel even worse, I reccomend if u want 2 drink - Drink properly! Don't mess around worrying about all this low calorie business, just drink on weekends and cut down in the week :smile:.

good advice (to be frank its what I wanted to hear) thanks
PS +rep for that, basically cos I aint give any out in ages :biggrin:
Helenia
I think tonic water has quite a lot of calories too, not sure though.

It is.

But you can always ask for gin, slim and a slice:smile:

Slimline tonic is their version of Diet Coke I suppose.
Elipsis

im gunna rep ya too, for talking sense!
Gin and bitter lemon is the lowest calorie drink you can have in a pub. It's also a very pretty colour. Just not very......sweet!
Reply 30
diet coke has essentially got no calories(or at most around 2)!thus it is the least u can have except water or soda water but they ming abit by themself with booze. a vodka and diet coke in a bar = no more than 55calories
Reply 31
The 'drink enough to spew it up in the morning' idea has a lot going for it.
Reply 32
The Mudman
Diet coke is crap. It's worse for you than regular coke.

Complete *******s.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand.

Ethanol has 7calories per ml, so it doesn't really matter what else is in the drink, you're still consuming calories from the alcohol itself.

That means if you consume 10 shots of pure ethanol in a night, 1750calories from alcohol, 20, 3500 calories(equivalent to the amount of energy in a whole pound of fat). Bear in mind that would probably kill you though.

Then theres all the calories from the carbs/sugar in the drinks you consume as well, but there aren't any particular low carb/sugar alcoholic drinks - there are ones which contain less than usual, but still a lot, so theres no point fretting about it, especially as they usually taste **** :wink:

From the above figures you can quickly see why we have an obesity epidemic in this nation, especially when you think a pint of baileys would contain over 3000 calories(most people could easily drink this staggered over a night out if baileys is your drink of choice) and a pint of beer is 200 calories!

Oh don't forget this is traditionally followed up by a 2000 calorie kebab.

For most people - if you want to lose weight simply stop drinking !

--------------

chel
diet coke has essentially got no calories(or at most around 2)!thus it is the least u can have except water or soda water but they ming abit by themself with booze. a vodka and diet coke in a bar = no more than 55calories

Am I right in thinking that if vodka is 50% alcoholic that a 25ml shot would contain 12.5ml of ethanol? If so thats 90 calories straight away:smile:
Reply 33
imasillynarb
Complete *******s.

I think it's pretty well documented that diet drinks may well be far worse for your health, Coke included.
Reply 34
Whys that then? Because of aspartame? Despite the fact that regular drinks/coke contain aspartame anyway, and its used in pretty much every product that has any degree of processing done to it, then I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

The sugar and other goodies in regular coke/drinks ensures that it is much worse for you then diet drinks.
Reply 35
jameso88

I'm well aware a roast dinner is over 170 calories. The bloody Yorkshire pudding by itself is probably over 170 calories.

A pint of Guinness apparently has 170 calories, draught has 210 calories.
Reply 36
imasillynarb
Am I right in thinking that if vodka is 50% alcoholic that a 25ml shot would contain 12.5ml of ethanol? If so thats 90 calories straight away:smile:

You're right in saying vodka isn't that low in calories. I don't know how many it has, but it's more than gin.
Reply 37
The sweetners in Diet Coke are supposed to cause cancer, I think there is enough evidence to suggest that Diet Coke is of a greater cancer risk than the normal stuff. Normal coke is evil as though its destroyed my teeth.

I just drink beer on nights out.
Reply 38
imasillynarb
Whys that then? Because of aspartame? Despite the fact that regular drinks/coke contain aspartame anyway, and its used in pretty much every product that has any degree of processing done to it, then I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

The sugar and other goodies in regular coke/drinks ensures that it is much worse for you then diet drinks.

diet drinks are far worse than regular drinks.
Reply 39
Again, what evidence do you have, and why do you have that opinion?

Latest

Trending

Trending