The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Digital Interaction Design - 2011

Lets see some hopefull faces.

Already found a few of you.

Just finishing up my first year on the course and since its so tiny, despite the fact I will probably meet you all next year, would be cool to help you guys get a feel for the course whilst you're still deciding!

Any questions? ask away!

Also about uni life + Halls, I can put my 2cents in about that aswell.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am in my fifth year at Harris Academy in Dundee and after having a talk from a staff member at Dundee Uni, I had a look at Digital Interaction Design. I think it looks like a really interesting course, I am very interested in graphic and web design and technology in general but I am not taking Art and Design at Higher. Will this affect my chances of getting a place? I took it at Standard Grade but I can provide a portfolio of web design. What do you actually do on the course? Can I stick to web/computer based projects or would I have to do some physical projects like the sewing machines that are shown on the website?

Thanks,

Graham
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Hey, from my knowledge, atleast in first year a few first year students managed to get onto the course without experience in art and the same with computing. About the physical projects, we actually take a module in first year called 'physical computing'. Don't put it off just now, its basically about programming hardware to do real life tasks, like the sewing machine project. Although most of project work like that is actually degree projects you do in 4th year so I wouldn't worry about it since you get to choose what you do in 4th year:smile:.

Are you considering coming straight from 5th year?

Thanks,

Alistair

[email protected]
Reply 3
Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I was looking for some advice on this particular course...
Well I applied to Product Design at Dundee because I only just found that this course existed and I think it sounds really perfect for me!
So I was wondering:
How easy would it be to change to this course if I get product design?
How similar will this course be to Product Design? By all the descriptions I've read, it seems to be the same but creating virtal products instead of physical ones, and learning programming instead of engineering?
Are the job prospects good afterwards? I have 5As at Higher and wasn't sure whether applying to a more 'prestigious' course would have been a good idea?

Thanks <3
Hey Lannie, I'm a person on the second year of this course that just happened to stumble on this thread, hope I'm not too late.

Original post by Lannie447

So I was wondering:
How easy would it be to change to this course if I get product design?

It shouldn't be too hard at all. I suspect you'll be able to change on UCAS and may be asked to if you go to an interview or anything. The course is changing quite a lot at the moment and there's actually a good chance that product designers and interaction designers will have pretty much the same first year. We had a talk with someone involved with changing the course quite recently and it sounds like product designers and interaction designers are going to share first year and then be given the choice to do one or the other at the start of second year.

How similar will this course be to Product Design? By all the descriptions I've read, it seems to be the same but creating virtal products instead of physical ones, and learning programming instead of engineering?

At the moment we share one class a week with product designers called "design studies" and it's a pretty general mix of design topics. Mostly it's just general design context and a tiny little bit of design history. You're expected to do a lot of home reading but are never tested too heavily on it

The distinction you heard is reasonably accurate but both courses have to learn some kind of programming as they both have to do some kind of physical computing. The language product designers use is quite old and very difficult to use and is largely engineering based. Interaction designers use Arduino which is very accessible and you will also be given full access (including 24 hour access) to the computing building. I'd suggest looking up some wee Arduino projects, they're very cool. On the other hand, product design does allow for much more opportunity to prototype physical objects and they tend to use the workshop more often but you still have full access to it as an interaction designer and you are very much encouraged to use it.

Sorry, that was longer than I was intending. It's also worth mentioning you will do iPhone apps, web design and java as an interaction designer.

Are the job prospects good afterwards? I have 5As at Higher and wasn't sure whether applying to a more 'prestigious' course would have been a good idea?

Interaction design is pretty much interchangeable with user interaction design or "UX Design" and there are a bum-load of jobs in that sector and there are very few courses that focus on it so heavily. Again, I strongly suggest googling "UX Design Jobs".

Thanks <3

Thanks to you too! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Totally-Lemonified
Hey Lannie, I'm a person on the second year of this course that just happened to stumble on this thread, hope I'm not too late.

It shouldn't be too hard at all. I suspect you'll be able to change on UCAS and may be asked to if you go to an interview or anything. The course is changing quite a lot at the moment and there's actually a good chance that product designers and interaction designers will have pretty much the same first year. We had a talk with someone involved with changing the course quite recently and it sounds like product designers and interaction designers are going to share first year and then be given the choice to do one or the other at the start of second year.

At the moment we share one class a week with product designers called "design studies" and it's a pretty general mix of design topics. Mostly it's just general design context and a tiny little bit of design history. You're expected to do a lot of home reading but are never tested too heavily on it

The distinction you heard is reasonably accurate but both courses have to learn some kind of programming as they both have to do some kind of physical computing. The language product designers use is quite old and very difficult to use and is largely engineering based. Interaction designers use Arduino which is very accessible and you will also be given full access (including 24 hour access) to the computing building. I'd suggest looking up some wee Arduino projects, they're very cool. On the other hand, product design does allow for much more opportunity to prototype physical objects and they tend to use the workshop more often but you still have full access to it as an interaction designer and you are very much encouraged to use it.

Sorry, that was longer than I was intending. It's also worth mentioning you will do iPhone apps, web design and java as an interaction designer.

Interaction design is pretty much interchangeable with user interaction design or "UX Design" and there are a bum-load of jobs in that sector and there are very few courses that focus on it so heavily. Again, I strongly suggest googling "UX Design Jobs".

Thanks to you too! :biggrin:

Hey!
Wow, what a great answer! You've really helped me a lot.
I hope that they do use the structure where the first year is the same for the first year, I feel that I would really enjoy that.
My boyfriend is a programmer so he's been trying to teach me some Java, in preparation for the course, which is proving to be interesting :P

In the time since I sent that message, I received an unconditional from Product Design at Dundee. So I'm really, really excited about that :smile:
I'm going to be in Glasgow next week for an interview so have arranged to go to Dundee meet the head of product design to learn more about both courses so that should be interesting :smile:
Thanks again,
Leanne x
Reply 6
Can anyone tell me if you can study abroad, on erasmus etc, on this course?
Reply 7
Original post by CiaranF
Can anyone tell me if you can study abroad, on erasmus etc, on this course?

You can, but only for one semester in third year. x
Reply 8
You can, but only for one semester in third year. x
thanks, makes this course even more appealing! x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by CiaranF
thanks, makes this course even more appealing! x

Hey again, have you been made any offers?
I have accepted my offer to Product Design so I'm super excited! Digital Interaction and Product Design share a first year so we could be on the same course!
I got a tour by the head of PD a few weeks ago and he was really lovely and so were all the pupils that I spoke to :smile:
x
Reply 10
Hey again, have you been made any offers?
I have accepted my offer to Product Design so I'm super excited! Digital Interaction and Product Design share a first year so we could be on the same course!
I got a tour by the head of PD a few weeks ago and he was really lovely and so were all the pupils that I spoke to :smile:
x

Hey, yeah I got an offer for Digital Interaction, which I will definitely be accepting soon! Well done on your offer :smile:. Just a little nervous about making it official on ucas, want to be absolutely certain. Yeah would be great, have you spoken to anyone else that is going on the courses? Sounds great! x
Reply 11
Original post by CiaranF
Hey, yeah I got an offer for Digital Interaction, which I will definitely be accepting soon! Well done on your offer :smile:. Just a little nervous about making it official on ucas, want to be absolutely certain. Yeah would be great, have you spoken to anyone else that is going on the courses? Sounds great! x

Well done to you too! I was so nervous about accepting because so many people disagreed with my decision. I got an unconditional to the Glasgow School of Art too but Dundee just seemed way more perfect, despite being 'not as prestigious'. So yeah, I just did it and felt so much more relieved afterwards :smile: No I haven't spoken to anyone... Don't know how I would go about finding them and I didn't go to any of the post application open days! Why, have you met any? It's nice to have found someone who I'll be studying with! :smile: x
Reply 12
Well done to you too! I was so nervous about accepting because so many people disagreed with my decision. I got an unconditional to the Glasgow School of Art too but Dundee just seemed way more perfect, despite being 'not as prestigious'. So yeah, I just did it and felt so much more relieved afterwards :smile: No I haven't spoken to anyone... Don't know how I would go about finding them and I didn't go to any of the post application open days! Why, have you met any? It's nice to have found someone who I'll be studying with! :smile: x

Yeah fair enough, Dundee just feels more right to me. Was it product design you applied for at Glasgow too? Neither did I, just my interview. No I don't know anyone. Will you be applying for halls? Where abouts are you from? x
Reply 13
Original post by CiaranF
Yeah fair enough, Dundee just feels more right to me. Was it product design you applied for at Glasgow too? Neither did I, just my interview. No I don't know anyone. Will you be applying for halls? Where abouts are you from? x

Yeah it seems like it would be really interesting! And yeah, it was product design. The course did seem really good but it was more psychology and ethnography based I think... You pretty much never learn anything technical! So there weren't other people being interviewed with you? I know that for product design there was an applicants day where they all had to work in teams on projects to impress the staff, and they had to pre complete a project too. I wasn't invited for an interview/applicant day, they just sent me an offer... I've already applied for halls :-) I chose Heathfield as my first choice because it apparently has a real 'community feel' according to the guys over on the accommodation discussion xD! Oh and I'm from Orkney :-) Yourself? And are you just leaving school too?
X
Reply 14
Yeah it seems like it would be really interesting! And yeah, it was product design. The course did seem really good but it was more psychology and ethnography based I think... You pretty much never learn anything technical! So there weren't other people being interviewed with you? I know that for product design there was an applicants day where they all had to work in teams on projects to impress the staff, and they had to pre complete a project too. I wasn't invited for an interview/applicant day, they just sent me an offer... I've already applied for halls :-) I chose Heathfield as my first choice because it apparently has a real 'community feel' according to the guys over on the accommodation discussion xD! Oh and I'm from Orkney :-) Yourself? And are you just leaving school too?
X

Sounds like a good choice then! There was but there was no team stuff or anything, just tours and talks. And I dont know if they got in or are choosing the course. You are a step ahead of me then, still havent accepted, been really busy. Cool, im from fife, St andrews. No I took a year out, originally applied for graphic design but changed my mind. So do you know anyone from home applying to dundee for anything? x
Reply 15
Original post by CiaranF
Sounds like a good choice then! There was but there was no team stuff or anything, just tours and talks. And I dont know if they got in or are choosing the course. You are a step ahead of me then, still havent accepted, been really busy. Cool, im from fife, St andrews. No I took a year out, originally applied for graphic design but changed my mind. So do you know anyone from home applying to dundee for anything? x

Aaah right! So that's weird because the Product Design and DIxD will be sharing a first year and it's still different to get into each course... :P Hurry up and accept! Then I can be happy that I know someone who will definitely be on my course :smile: Did you get accepted into any other unis? Oh and all of my friends from home are off to Edinburgh or Glasgow :frown: I know one girl who is going to Dundee so far... But I'm meeting lots of new people on the Dundee Uni threads, so that's nice! How about yourself? x
Reply 16
Aaah right! So that's weird because the Product Design and DIxD will be sharing a first year and it's still different to get into each course... :P Hurry up and accept! Then I can be happy that I know someone who will definitely be on my course :smile: Did you get accepted into any other unis? Oh and all of my friends from home are off to Edinburgh or Glasgow :frown: I know one girl who is going to Dundee so far... But I'm meeting lots of new people on the Dundee Uni threads, so that's nice! How about yourself? x

Yeah I know! I'll probably do it today. I applied for Media courses at RGU etc and Film and visual culture at aberdeen uni, and yeah was well pleased I got in everywhere! Yeah most of my mates are already in Glasgow or Edinburgh or Dundee, and the rest of us are working and travelling. Don't know anyone from home going on this course, but one of my best friends is going to Dundee this year for medicine, and a few more for other courses, so I'll know quite a few people. So did you do higher art or advanced at school? x
Reply 17
Original post by CiaranF
Yeah I know! I'll probably do it today. I applied for Media courses at RGU etc and Film and visual culture at aberdeen uni, and yeah was well pleased I got in everywhere! Yeah most of my mates are already in Glasgow or Edinburgh or Dundee, and the rest of us are working and travelling. Don't know anyone from home going on this course, but one of my best friends is going to Dundee this year for medicine, and a few more for other courses, so I'll know quite a few people. So did you do higher art or advanced at school? x

I am just finishing off my Advanced Higher Art portfolio at the moment :smile: But it turns out that I didn't even need it in the end because they gave me an offer without asking for a portfolio interview xD Which is awesome, but also quite frustrating due to all the work I put it! It's interesting that you applied to those kinds of courses because I never even considered them until after I'd applied, when I realised that I'd have really enjoyed a course like that! But I am so lucky that Dundee has this joint year with DIxD because media is much better suited to me than physical products! So, what prompted you to take the more arty route at Dundee than a media course? You have friends in all three cities? Which city do they think is best? It's nice that you will have friends in Dundee... At least you'll never be totally lost! :smile: x
Reply 18
I am just finishing off my Advanced Higher Art portfolio at the moment :smile: But it turns out that I didn't even need it in the end because they gave me an offer without asking for a portfolio interview xD Which is awesome, but also quite frustrating due to all the work I put it! It's interesting that you applied to those kinds of courses because I never even considered them until after I'd applied, when I realised that I'd have really enjoyed a course like that! But I am so lucky that Dundee has this joint year with DIxD because media is much better suited to me than physical products! So, what prompted you to take the more arty route at Dundee than a media course? You have friends in all three cities? Which city do they think is best? It's nice that you will have friends in Dundee... At least you'll never be totally lost! :smile: x

Wow that's insane! Is that common for product design? Yeah must be a bit frustrating though. Yeah when I applied straight from school I applied for straight up art courses from DJCAD and Grays in Aberdeen, but when it came to deciding I thought I'm creative but art school wasn't for me and so declined grays where I almost went. So this time round I thought about this course which is creative/technical so sounds perfect. Well although I knew I'd enjoy those courses I wasn't sure about the career opportunities, whether you would definitely get a job after it. But DIxD is more vocational and has a more focused career path. And this course seemed way more well known and respected and the graduates are in pretty incredible places right now so seemed too good an opportunity to miss. Yeah not many of us at home at the moment. Glasgow is meant to be incredible but not sure. Yeah there is that bonus! What is it like living in orkney? x
Reply 19
Original post by CiaranF
Wow that's insane! Is that common for product design? Yeah must be a bit frustrating though. Yeah when I applied straight from school I applied for straight up art courses from DJCAD and Grays in Aberdeen, but when it came to deciding I thought I'm creative but art school wasn't for me and so declined grays where I almost went. So this time round I thought about this course which is creative/technical so sounds perfect. Well although I knew I'd enjoy those courses I wasn't sure about the career opportunities, whether you would definitely get a job after it. But DIxD is more vocational and has a more focused career path. And this course seemed way more well known and respected and the graduates are in pretty incredible places right now so seemed too good an opportunity to miss. Yeah not many of us at home at the moment. Glasgow is meant to be incredible but not sure. Yeah there is that bonus! What is it like living in orkney? x

I have no idea :P I've not met a single person doing Product Design to ask!
Well I'm not that fussed... I mean at least I get an Advanced Higher, and my art teachers get to tell their friends that they got a pupil into the GSA.
Were you pushed to choose the straight up art courses like I nearly was? What have you been doing all year then? :smile:
DIxD seems to fit in perfectly with a lot of people! I can see it being really good because everyone seems to have such a passion for the subject (I guess that's because it is a pretty obscure course...) :smile:
I agree, the career path out of DIxD seems really awesome... I was so excited when I read about Calum Pringle who now works for Canonical because I have been using Ubuntu for the last year and really love it and can't imagine a better job than working for them! (also, isn't it a weird coincidence!)
Orkney is a great place to live, a lot of people hate it but I love it! We have a small 6th year (30 peeps) and we're all pretty close and then when you're bored you just take a stroll down the street and run into tons of people you know :smile:
How do you like where you live?
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending