The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading FIRMERS?!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KT9
That makes life easier! I expect it will get busy after results day.

Yeah, we didn't move in until the 2nd October last year and it got so frustrating. I don't know if its any earlier this year but if not you may as well use the time to get talking to people :tongue: I didn't join the Facebook group for last year because i'd deactivated my account, but after seeing how well it worked out for the other girl i'm really annoyed that i didn't! Don't make the same mistake i did!

Original post by SillyMilly
how did you find it making freidns?

Just talk to everyone, even if its just asking what course they are doing or what block/floor/halls they're in. You won't stay in touch with everyone you meet in Freshers but it gets the awkward first conversation out of the way and they remember who you are, so you can develop plenty of friendships :smile: If you are feeling brave maybe ask if they are doing something, everyone is bricking it about being alone and it is really unlikely they will say no! You meet SO many people through others as well. Just meeting one person could mean you get to know their entire friendship group.

Your JCR will probably have a good freshers week planned, and the nights out are a great way to meet people. In my hall i knew that everyone would be going out so it was really easy to get down to someone elses kitchen for predrinks and meet people that way. I still speak to quite a few of them even though i've moved halls.

Don't just confine yourself to the people you are living with either. Obviously spend time with them, but i know people who get on really well with their flat and know barely anyone else and they regret not making an effort in the first few weeks. I live on a corridor so i'm guessing this will be harder to do in somewhere like Sherfield or Stenton which is in flats.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 221
Original post by KT9
I live about an hour and a half away from Reading, in the South West - just behind Longleat Safari Park and Center Parcs in a really quiet little hamlet. What about you?

Does anyone else think we should start a Facebook group then? My Facebook is gathering dust somewhere in a small, uninhabited corner of the internet at the moment but I'd be willing to dig it out and set up a group with someone...

yeah set up the facebook group... I'd be happy to join :smile:
Reply 222
Original post by Mgallegos
yeah set up the facebook group... I'd be happy to join :smile:

Turns out there already is one!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/236251779804375/
Reply 223
Original post by Girlproblems
Oh and guys
Ask me questions
I do cheerleading (JOIN US)
live in stenton
Do psychology
etc etc
so excited for you guys!
work hard, its worth it :smile:

Also i recommend setting up a facebook group
me and teaandcofee did and by the time i got to uni i had about 50+ people i 'knew' many who i still am very very close with as well as one i had a relationship with

Whats stenton hall like? :smile:
Reply 224
Let me know if the group becomes worth joining :wink:
Reply 225
Original post by KT9
I live about an hour and a half away from Reading, in the South West - just behind Longleat Safari Park and Center Parcs in a really quiet little hamlet. What about you?

Does anyone else think we should start a Facebook group then? My Facebook is gathering dust somewhere in a small, uninhabited corner of the internet at the moment but I'd be willing to dig it out and set up a group with someone...

i'm a member of this reading firmers group on facebook :smile: http://www.facebook.com/groups/236251779804375/

Original post by SmallKid
i'm a member of this reading firmers group on facebook :smile: http://www.facebook.com/groups/236251779804375/

im putting it as my insurance so i can't join :frown:
Original post by Randomized
Yeah, we didn't move in until the 2nd October last year and it got so frustrating. I don't know if its any earlier this year but if not you may as well use the time to get talking to people :tongue: I didn't join the Facebook group for last year because i'd deactivated my account, but after seeing how well it worked out for the other girl i'm really annoyed that i didn't! Don't make the same mistake i did!

Just talk to everyone, even if its just asking what course they are doing or what block/floor/halls they're in. You won't stay in touch with everyone you meet in Freshers but it gets the awkward first conversation out of the way and they remember who you are, so you can develop plenty of friendships :smile: If you are feeling brave maybe ask if they are doing something, everyone is bricking it about being alone and it is really unlikely they will say no! You meet SO many people through others as well. Just meeting one person could mean you get to know their entire friendship group.

Your JCR will probably have a good freshers week planned, and the nights out are a great way to meet people. In my hall i knew that everyone would be going out so it was really easy to get down to someone elses kitchen for predrinks and meet people that way. I still speak to quite a few of them even though i've moved halls.

Don't just confine yourself to the people you are living with either. Obviously spend time with them, but i know people who get on really well with their flat and know barely anyone else and they regret not making an effort in the first few weeks. I live on a corridor so i'm guessing this will be harder to do in somewhere like Sherfield or Stenton which is in flats.

Thankyou for all your advice,do you have too make a massive effort too be quite extrovert then? did you join any societies? is it easy too get on with your flat mates etc ?
Reply 228
Thankyou for all your advice,do you have too make a massive effort too be quite extrovert then? did you join any societies? is it easy too get on with your flat mates etc ?

Since I havn't been to uni yet, I can't say from experience. But it seems that it's a case of pretty much everyone starting off alone, so everyone has one main goal when they start: making friends. From what I've been told, people establish their friendship groups mainly over fresher week, so it's best to just try and talk to as many people as you can then. For the more shy people, it is a good opportunity to step out of your comfort zones and talk to people you don't know
Original post by Mgallegos
Since I havn't been to uni yet, I can't say from experience. But it seems that it's a case of pretty much everyone starting off alone, so everyone has one main goal when they start: making friends. From what I've been told, people establish their friendship groups mainly over fresher week, so it's best to just try and talk to as many people as you can then. For the more shy people, it is a good opportunity to step out of your comfort zones and talk to people you don't know

Horses for courses. There is no set way to approach freshers week, or university in general and your friendship groups will very often change after freshers. Certainly it isn't a bad idea to socialize a lot but there are plenty of opportunities to make friends at other times (societies etc). In short DW about it and just be yourself and do whatever you want to do.
Reply 230
Sorry to sound pushy here but do cheerleading at least come to our taster session, id never done it before an am now in love with it
we do competitive cheerleading
this is the level we are at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ya-e8QS-lA&list=PL6C7D07A46788341D&index=13&feature=plpp_video
I got on the squad after doing it for like 6 weeks

in addition ive now made like 50 friends and a few have met there boyfriends through cheer (yes boys cheer too)

Plus we have some great socials planned for you guys

but yeah hockey looks good but i know little about it other than the fact that i see them around a lot and they seem to have fun :smile:

Just by looking at that short video clip, i wanna join in! I didnt know that you can cheer at reading.
Original post by fagher
Just by looking at that short video clip, i wanna join in! I didnt know that you can cheer at reading.

Yeah its amazing
We do competitive cheer at competitions! come along to our taster session next year
its AMAZING!
if you want to know anything else let me know
Original post by SmallKid
Whats stenton hall like? :smile:

Really nice, double beds (come in very useful), en suites, big kitchens, lots of people, centre of campus, great location, sociable etc etc :smile:
cant complain
Reply 233
Yeah its amazing
We do competitive cheer at competitions! come along to our taster session next year
its AMAZING!
if you want to know anything else let me know

Ill definitely come! how long is the training course?
Original post by Cyclo

Join it silly

You may as well. If you are quiet/shy nobody will know this when you come to uni, there is nothing wrong with being like this but its the perfect opportunity to change things. I was so ****ing nervous but i forced myself to talk and put myself out there, i'm glad i did. Once people know you're a nice person they won't really care, i'm still quiet as a mouse sometimes but people don't seem to mind.

My kitchen are really nice, friendly people but i don't have much in common with most of them. Apart from 1 guy who i really get on with, i don't spend much time with any of them. There is a massive group of 15/20 of us in halls and apart from him, none of them are from my kitchen. Thats the advantage of living somewhere like Wessex which is on a corridor, you are guarenteed to meet people :smile: Everyone i know who is in flats gets on really well with their flatmates and has formed a good little group, though they do say its a lot harder to meet other people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 236
Hi everyone! Yep, there is a Facebook group, I set it up two/three weeks ago and posted a link on here... There's about ten of us :smile: It's a closed group but I'm just adding everyone that sends a request: it's just so people can post without their friends/ parents seeing what they're saying. :smile: Everybody join! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 237
Original post by Cyclo

Well someone who is on your course just posted...:wink:
Reply 238
Original post by KT9
Well someone who is on your course just posted...:wink:

Am I still required to take loads of pics of myself in various positions and lighting or have things moved on from the oh so scene myspace photo shoots of yesteryear ?
Reply 239
Has anyone added the Facebook group for 'reading firmers' yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending