The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

how firm is unconditional?

So i recently firmed on an unconditional offer at UCL,cheers, cheers.
thing is, im trying to find a job and im considering dropping my last two classes, orchestra and teachers assistant, in order to clear up some time. Essentially some electives that i don't need to graduate. The only thing stopping me is some fear that UCL will retract my offer if i do this.
I've shot them off an email asking about this two days ago. but they've yet to reply.
does anyone have any experience or information in this sort of case?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unconditional = you have the place
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
You definitely have a place if you have an unconditional.
Usually universities give students a conditional offer so they don't end up doing this. So you've struck lucky to be able to do what you want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Emmargh

Original post by Emmargh
You definitely have a place if you have an unconditional.

Ignore this and the other post.

They could potentially withdraw the offer if it turns out what you put on UCAS is not true, so you should see how they respond to your email.
Reply 4
Original post by Valh

They could potentially withdraw the offer if it turns out what you put on UCAS is not true, so you should see how they respond to your email.

What I said was true and didn't need to be completely ignored.

I'm doing a foundation diploma in art and design at the moment, my teacher was telling me that students who receive an unconditional offer usually drop out and still get their place, even at the top universities for art and design.

But I'd still wait for the e mail OP. I wouldn't risk losing a place for a couple of extra quid in your back pocket though.
Original post by Valh

This.

Wait for their reply.
Reply 6
Original post by f00ddude
1) AAA is average, anything below you dont deserve to go to uni, infact theres no reason for anything below the top 10

But it is, that's like 34 points in IB, which is incredibly mediocre...
Reply 7
unconditional offer means you defo have a place on the condition that your stated qualifications are true. if you have counted the art course as part of your ucas points and then drop out, they may retract their offer as you might not meet the entry requirements. if this is the case i would inform the uni about this change and they may consider if you are still eligible for the course.
Reply 8
All my unconditionals still wanted to see my certificates upon registration in order to confirm the grades and such I entered on ucas were real, you should wait for the response to the email.
Reply 9
Original post by sadhukar
But it is, that's like 34 points in IB, which is incredibly mediocre...

AAA is not average, the average is BBC. look up the definition of average (average in this case is obviously the mean)
Reply 10
well i gave them a call and they said it was all right.
my first semester transcript should show the courses.
so hopefully there should be no trouble.
Reply 11
Original post by Emmargh

Original post by Emmargh
What I said was true and didn't need to be completely ignored.

I'm doing a foundation diploma in art and design at the moment, my teacher was telling me that students who receive an unconditional offer usually drop out and still get their place, even at the top universities for art and design.

It's terrible advice. While he may have a still get a place there is a chance he may not get it.

Is it really worth taking a risk like that because a person on the internet's Art Foundation Diploma teacher told them that universities usually still get a place? :rolleyes: :facepalm2:
Reply 12
Original post by Valh
It's terrible advice. While he may have a still get a place there is a chance he may not get it.

Is it really worth taking a risk like that because a person on the internet's Art Foundation Diploma teacher told them that universities usually still get a place? :rolleyes: :facepalm2:

Stop being so pedantic and picking at certain words in my post and just move on.

They asked for advice so I gave them some.
More people actually said something similar to me and that they have a 'definite place'. Which they do.

Can't the bold area also be said for you? Pipe down.

Oh no, I wonder who 'negged' me :rolleyes: Damn, that hurt.
(edited 13 years ago)
Firm enough that you can't have an insurance choice.
Original post by Emmargh
Stop being so pedantic and picking at certain words in my post and just move on.

More people actually said something similar to me and that they have a 'definite place'. Which they do.

Oh no, I wonder who 'negged' me :rolleyes: Damn, that hurt.

The difference is that Valh's advice is erring on the side of caution...
Reply 15
Unconditional: "absolute, and without conditions, limitations, reservations or qualifications."

It is definitely worth double checking with the university though, not like you've got anything to lose.
Reply 16
Original post by TurboCretin
The difference is that Valh's advice is erring on the side of caution...

I never said that their advice was wrong.
OP asked a question, I answered.
Enough said :dontknow:

I've been given an unconditional for YSJ. Even if i drop out of this course right now I'm still in.
Then again, I guess people would probably get into the argument about it not being a 'proper' university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Emmargh

Just because a few other people made similar posts doesn't make your claims any more valid. And yes, I guess even misleading advice is still advice...

You assure them that they have a place and refer to your diploma foundation art teacher, whereas I tell them that they may not get a place and they should wait for the UCL admissions tutor to respond.

Who do you think knows more about UCL admissions? Obvious the tutor does and so it make sense to check with him.

Understand? :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by Valh
Just because a few other people made similar posts doesn't make your claims any more valid. And yes, I guess even misleading advice is still advice...

You assure them that they have a place and refer to your diploma foundation art teacher, whereas I tell them that they may not get a place and they should wait for the UCL admissions tutor to respond.

Who do you think knows more about UCL admissions? Obvious the tutor does and so it make sense to check with him.

Understand? :rolleyes:

I gave advice to the OP.
You don't even need to comment on my post, if anybody can comment on which advice is 'bad' or 'good' it's them, they can take and leave what information they like. The last thing they need is somebody going on and on about somebody else's advice and dragging out the conversation a bit longer.

Now stop quoting and pestering me.
I'm sure the OP doesn't want this discussion blocking up their thread.

/discussion
unconditional is not 100%. They can withdraw your place if you have lied on your application or fail to send your qualifications as proof before a deadline. Nottingham university for example required qualifications evidence, well they asked me anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending