The Student Room Group

my 'm' key doesn't work!

O.k my 'm' has stopped working and until I get it sorted I was wandering if there was a way of creating a shortcut to it with a different key combination? At the moment I'm just copying and pasting!!!

Scroll to see replies

take the key off... clean it, then re-attach it...
or use an air blower to get any dirt out underneath....
or buy another keyboard? (usb if its for a laptop)
Or just write everything without the letter M? if you could do a full essay, id be quite impressed...
just carefully choose the wording of what you want to say to avoid that letter :smile:
Reply 3
No idea what happened. Already had friend who builds computers to take a look at it but he didn't know!
Reply 4
copy an m then crrl+v when u need to use it
Reply 5
If you go to control panel, ease of access, on screen keyboard, you can just click on the M when you need it. (I spilt water over my laptop keyboard & therefore use onscreen keyboard constantly (it's ****ing annoying))
Reply 6
Start > Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > On-Screen Keyboard
Reply 7
On screen keyboard. It's annoying but it will work in the mean time until you get your keys working again.
Reply 8
Alt + 77 M
Alt + 109 m
Try that .
Reply 9
- Copy and paste M
- Use on screen keyboard
- Ignore words with M
- Buy a new keyboard
Reply 10
Out of curiosity has OP been copy and pasting to post the start of the thread? If so how much extra time has it taken?

There's a lot of hate here :/
Reply 11
You could look into autohotkey, which allows you to remap keys. It looks quite complicated, but there are tutorials out there. I used it a while ago when I had a keyboard that didn't have a £ key.

EDIT: Whoever negged me is gay -_-
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
My I key is a bit dodgey sometimes, you have to thump down on it really hard to get it to work :sad:
Reply 13
OP: My friend and I were talking about this today, one of his keys has stopped working. As a temporary solution ctrl+v is the easiest method as it keeps your hands on the keyboard and you'll slowly get quicker at it. On screen keyboard would be useful if you use the clipboard alot. Permanent solutions are to a) open up the keyboard and give it a clean or b) buy a new keyboard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
If it's a word document, you could use '(m)' or something constant and then use ctrl+f to find/replace all '(m)'s to an m.

Just another idea, but probably would still be quicker to paste it.
Original post by Ambee Mcgee
O.k my 'm' has stopped working and until I get it sorted I was wandering if there was a way of creating a shortcut to it with a different key combination? At the moment I'm just copying and pasting!!!

You sure used a lot of 'm's for someone without an 'm' key...
Original post by Tara_Ward
Out of curiosity has OP been copy and pasting to post the start of the thread? If so how much extra time has it taken?

There's a lot of hate here :/

Original post by bigfootchris2
You sure used a lot of 'm's for someone without an 'm' key...

Did you not read op at all?
Reply 17
Original post by SSingh23
If it's a word document, you could use '(m)' or something constant and then use ctrl+f to find/replace all '(m)'s to an m.

Just another idea, but probably would still be quicker to paste it.

Am I going senile or does this actually sound like a good idea?!?!
Reply 18
nn
Original post by lonelykatana
Did you not read op at all?

of course... and surely having to copy and paste all your 'm's would incline you to cut down on the amount you use them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending