The Student Room Group

History topics - HELP!

I've been told that I need to start thinking about what I want to do for my dissertation next year! honestly I havent got a clue on what topic or what i wanted to do. I've never really thought about it! I've tried doing some research to give me ideas but I'm pretty much stuck.

Has any one got any ideas? or any advice on how to pick a topic? what topics did anyone else do or are going to do?

I'm not going to copy any titles I'm just trying to figure out what interesting topics that I could do.

Any help if much appreciated. Thank you so much! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by cinderella1990
I've been told that I need to start thinking about what I want to do for my dissertation next year! honestly I havent got a clue on what topic or what i wanted to do. I've never really thought about it! I've tried doing some research to give me ideas but I'm pretty much stuck.

Has any one got any ideas? or any advice on how to pick a topic? what topics did anyone else do or are going to do?

I'm not going to copy any titles I'm just trying to figure out what interesting topics that I could do.

Any help if much appreciated. Thank you so much! :smile:

Have written a coursework essay or done some reading on a topic and thought when you finished, "that wasn't so bad" or that you wanted to find out more about. You should start off thinking about which country and period you like best and then try to think about a key event or historical debate or some form of change that occurs in this period. Then use a citation database and see if anyone has already written on it, if its only a couple of people then is there an angle they have missed, have they underplayed religion as a factor for example.

I have currently almost finished my dissertation on Proportional Representation and Electoral Reform but I am looking precisely at disproportionality and bias as this is an angle which in under researched.
You need to narrow down what particular areas of history you're interested in, be it a certain time period, specific event or person.

Mine is on Munster (province in Ireland) during Elizabeth I's rule. It's actually fascinating and it's very handy already having a huge store of information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending