The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by El Nombre
I’ve never really encountered much antagonism towards the ‘educated’ tbh.

The bosses I’ve worked with, and those in other senior positions, don’t tend to have a-levels or degrees, but they still value and respect individuals for pursuing higher education, and will take it into account when employing candidates.

Many are extremely intelligent individuals from working class backgrounds, who attended high school in the late 60s & 70s, and were quite frankly let down by a very ‘ad hoc’ education system with very little encouragement or support.

It’s usually people with degrees who develop a sense of entitlement (including those who entitled to start earning £30k+ straight out of uni, when they only did a 3 year BA or BSc), or those that have to mention the fact that they have a degree at every waking opportunity that grate on my nerves. By all means, be proud of your degree, you earned it, and probably worked your socks off for it, but I can’t help but be reminded of a colleague who wouldn’t shut up about it!

“That reminds me of the time when I was doing a degree...”
“Yeah, I might pack up this job soon and do a masters, this job is stifling me, plus, it gives me something to do with my degree!”
“I’m sure I can use the skills I got from my degree to help”
“El Nombre, have you ever thought about doing a degree? They’re very challenging, but maybe you could do one.”

In all fairness, I 'think' he was just a massive meat truncheon.

Do you not think the sense of entitlement isn't the students fault? The teachers at my school obviously believed education gets you a good job. In my school anyway the teachers always told badly behaved pupils they won't get a well paid job, or if they didn't revise they wouldn't get a job so they can afford a decent lifestyle. Throughout secondary school this has been drilled into me and everyone in my year so much that you can't really look down upon somebody for believing something they have been told 1000s of times by people in authority. Even my family and especially parents tried to motivate me in the same way with the prospect of a decent job.
It's not arrogance. On average, educated people ARE better than uneducated people. If you're uneducated and don't like hearing this, go and get an education instead of pretending it isn't the truth.
I have the feeling that this post will bring neg reps XD Oh well, I don't need to be accepted by everybody so.... Bring it on! :smile:

A lot of well-educated people tend to think they are better than everybody else. I am not saying uneducated people aren't but they are more likely to be the one that think that education is not always the most important factor in order to live the life. To be honest, as far as I know it's always been the educated people that start looking down those uneducated because they think they know better. There is no point learning learning from books for years if you aren't going to use it. A lot of people who aren't educated tend to think more outside the box, due to the life experience they gain. Of course, I am not on about those who spend their time taking drugs or getting in trouble. But there are a lot of people who aren't getting proper education and do well in their life, probably do better than a lot of educated people. So yeah, I don't think they are jealous at all. Although some might regret about their decision to not be educated. And that's because a lot of things you get while educating at school you wont get from the outside.

However, I believe that education is very important and they deserves whatever they want to get in terms of career after all the effort they put intheir education. But just going to school doesn't make you more superior than other people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I hate unedcuated people, it's like 'Go get a life, and understand I'll be better than you for the rest of my life', and they're like 'I'm just geeting by everyday with no ambition but i'm happy'. Tossers.

Judging on some of your gcse grades it seems like you were doing a bit of 'tossing'
Reply 24
Most educated people think that people who leave school at 16 and get a manual job are losers, that they'd hate to be in their position and that they are stupid. However much they say it's not true, it is.

Most people who get a job at 16 think they know more about the real world, they resent that their tax money pays for drunken students to go to university, and they don't think academics are worth it.

Both sides are as bad as each other in that respect.
Original post by Peteo
Anyone else find this and it seeming to be getting worse especially after the tuition fee parliment bill? I've even heard this in the street and in general conversations on lower or lowly educated people.

I come from a family where the majority left school with few GCSEs and doing manual jobs. Every opportunity to bash someone in a high position due to academic intelligence they try to put down. It's like they feel inferior so need to find a way to big themselves up by putting someone else down, the same way a bully often does.

Any slight mistake educated people make or if a minority misbehave (such as at the student protests where a few "students" or more likely anarchists became violent.) they immediately believe and start acting like all students are like that.

Or find other ways to put them down by saying things like "they hardly work at all" or "they are overpaid"

It's like some kind of inverse snobbery against educated people where they.

Surely i'm not the only one noticing this, and it becoming worse?

Why do you think people become like this?

What are your general opinions on this?

People like this often call educated people arrogant or similar terms, do you think this is true or just mistaken self confidence, belief and drive?

I abolutely agree, it is as though people from uneducated families don't want any of their children to become educated.

I think the reason is as you put it, they feel that they maybe inferiour/less opportunities open to them, but I also think that (and I don't want to sound snobbish) elderly people on estates who, frankly, realise that their working lives are over etc are a little jealous of much younger people who have their whole lives ahead of them and are taking advantages of opportunities, the same goes for younger people too who are like that.
Original post by Bultmann
Most educated people think that people who leave school at 16 and get a manual job are losers, that they'd hate to be in their position and that they are stupid. However much they say it's not true, it is.

Most people who get a job at 16 think they know more about the real world, they resent that their tax money pays for drunken students to go to university, and they don't think academics are worth it.

Both sides are as bad as each other in that respect.

Although some people who didn't continue with education beyond school have done so because they are losers who messed around in class, they are not all like that at all.
It takes more than academics for the 'world to go around', having said that, the world would not survive, and the human race would not be where it is now, if everyone was a hairdresser or a till worker.
Original post by kbountra
Judging on some of your gcse grades it seems like you were doing a bit of 'tossing'

I actually was, I won't deny it, but my sixth form did some external tests on me and I basically smashed them, so they said my subjects would be no problem for me. :smile: But yeah, I do regret not working hard, although my schools A*-C pass rate 27% and I also ended up with the 3rd highest set of results. So assuming the unis I apply to are understanding and compare and correlate me to my peers at secondary and also assuming I get my bank work experience completed, along with straight A's. Yeah, I think I have a good shot at wherever. :smile:
I actually was, I won't deny it, but my sixth form did some external tests on me and I basically smashed them, so they said my subjects would be no problem for me. :smile: But yeah, I do regret not working hard, although my schools A*-C pass rate 27% and I also ended up with the 3rd highest set of results. So assuming the unis I apply to are understanding and compare and correlate me to my peers at secondary and also assuming I get my bank work experience completed, along with straight A's. Yeah, I think I have a good shot at wherever. :smile:

Are you looking at Maths or Economics atm? From reading taelt I understand that for Economics GCSEs are v. important- just to give an indication of what we're looking at here:
LSE- high A*%
Warwick- 9A*+
Nottingham- 7A*+
Durham- 5A*+
If you are looking at Econ make sure you are aware of what the unis are looking at before applying. For Maths they may be more lenient if you have exceptional ability in that subject. Any work experience is always advantageous :smile:
Are you looking at Maths or Economics atm? From reading taelt I understand that for Economics GCSEs are v. important- just to give an indication of what we're looking at here:
LSE- high A*%
Warwick- 9A*+
Nottingham- 7A*+
Durham- 5A*+
If you are looking at Econ make sure you are aware of what the unis are looking at before applying. For Maths they may be more lenient if you have exceptional ability in that subject. Any work experience is always advantageous :smile:

Aha, I want to take Economics, but not as my main branch, more of a sub branch. I'm taking my entire A level this year for Maths, so assuming I have the full A* when it comes to UCL and Warwick, I'm hoping they'll see and just won't give a **** about my GCSEs aha! I know people who have got a lot less than those grades at GCSE and smashed their A levels, getting into those Unis. Aside from LSE!
I find it shocking that only 27% get a GCSE pass at your school.....I got 3A*7A and those results were in the bottom quartile of my year lol.

LOL! Yeah, that's my point. I know had I gone to a good/great school I could have acheived straight A*'s but alas, I was naive and thought any secondayr school would be okay. My school was almost closed down a few years ago. So yeah, I just pray the Univerisites recognise that I had potential, and at a decent college I acheived it. And at their Univeristy I could realise that potential even further!

P.S It's called Kings Heath Boys.
Reply 31
Original post by mathperson
I abolutely agree, it is as though people from uneducated families don't want any of their children to become educated.

I think the reason is as you put it, they feel that they maybe inferiour/less opportunities open to them, but I also think that (and I don't want to sound snobbish) elderly people on estates who, frankly, realise that their working lives are over etc are a little jealous of much younger people who have their whole lives ahead of them and are taking advantages of opportunities, the same goes for younger people too who are like that.

Yes, in my experience it seems to be the case uneducated families don't want their children to become educated, however of course there are exceptions. My mother was the first person in her family to stay on for A levels and she was constantly teased for studying by all her family including parents who said she should get a "proper job" in their eyes which was something along the lines of being a farmer or running your own shop. Maybe they were jealous of her dedication to academic or maybe jealous of her ability to understand it, i'm not sure. Maybe just a cheap way to feel superior and put your siblings down.

I find it shocking that only 27% get a GCSE pass at your school.....I got 3A*7A and those results were in the bottom quartile of my year lol.

Are you at a private school by any chance?

Oh and just so you know: he said GCSE pass rate at grade A*-C was 27%, not only 27% get a GCSE pass.
(edited 13 years ago)
I hate unedcuated people, it's like 'Go get a life, and understand I'll be better than you for the rest of my life', and they're like 'I'm just geeting by everyday with no ambition but i'm happy'. Tossers.

You just sound like a bitter idiot. Reminds me of the ambitious woman who can't have kids and who slates other women.
I would consider myself quite educated, and I can't say I've ever noticed it. Maybe you have some kind of inverse inverse snobbery going on.
Reply 34
Original post by lukas1051
I would consider myself quite educated, and I can't say I've ever noticed it. Maybe you have some kind of inverse inverse snobbery going on.

Urm you're doing AS levels lol..
Original post by Haruhi
They just want to find someone to blame.
They didn't work hard in school = their own fault
Didn't try to go to get qualifications = their own fault
They didn't take advantages of education = their own fault

They just don't wanna blame themselves for the life they live now. They don't want to live their lives in regret.

Educated people worked so damn hard for years and years in higher education. They deserve what they get!

Actually, in quite a few cases it's partly their fault and partly situational. If you come from a family which doesn't value education you're unlikely to get the encouragement and help that you need to succeed. Not everyone has an easy upbringing, and while what you say has some truth in it I think it's too easy to generalise.
Original post by Peteo
Yes, in my experience it seems to be the case uneducated families don't want their children to become educated, however of course there are exceptions. My mother was the first person in her family to stay on for A levels and she was constantly teased for studying by all her family including parents who said she should get a "proper job" in their eyes which was something along the lines of being a farmer or running your own shop. Maybe they were jealous of her dedication to academic or maybe jealous of her ability to understand it, i'm not sure. Maybe just a cheap way to feel superior and put your siblings down.

Are you at a private school by any chance?

Yes I am. One of the big turn offs from going to a top independent school is that even straight As at GCSE can make you feel inferior and disappointed on results day.
Original post by Peteo
Urm you're doing AS levels lol..

I didn't mean educated in the sense that I'm a scholar or a highly paid professional, but I'd consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable, at least compared to most of the people I associate with (ie. my family).
Reply 38

Yeah but lets be honest, you're not exactly smart. I mean, your GCSE's aren't that of a very smart person yet you think you are educated. The fact you think you are educated when you are still taking A levels is quite funny as well. Tosser.
Reply 39
Yes I am. One of the big turn offs from going to a top independent school is that even straight As at GCSE can make you feel inferior and disappointed on results day.

But surely it's all relative. If you get lower results in a state school which are average for the school, you often feel inferior in the same way, as you're still against people just with slightly lower set of results on average? Surely not much different?

Latest

Trending

Trending