The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by boxsterboxster
if they are so rich why dont they go to oxford or cambridge ??

Because, fortunately, people can't buy their way in to Oxbridge :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by amsie/
:eek: There's loads at Leicester :lol: If you're going to go to uni here, why not aim for the highest?
Haha, when I worked at the body shop they wouldn't hesitate to spend £300 in one go on whatever you recommended :biggrin:

I know! I don't see the point of them applying to Greenwich University or something :/
But they are disgustingly rich. My cousin's friend who I was talking about before, she was RANDOMLY invited to my 16th (a couple of years ago by my mum) and she gave me three crisp £50 notes.
I was like o.O
Reply 22
Original post by boxsterboxster
some chinese students in my uni have porsche and brand new bmw , they drive it to uni everyday and they always wear GUCCI PRADA etc... why they are all very rich ?
also some student from saudi as well
because they have oil... but i don't understand why are chinese so rich ?? :confused:

I found this out working for barclays, its not that there rich, but it does hav something partly to do with the one child policy. So when a chinese family has a very smart child, there entire family ends up gathering up all the savings to this kids future, so in the future they'll b rich and giv money back. When i worked at Barclays they do a special service for them and according to them they bring £100,000+ with them
Original post by Petit Pois
I'm sorry but they come from China, the home of where knock off designer goods are made and sold and you really think they're going to be real designer?
That it could be, but I'm sure the majority would be very good knock-offs are they are more accessible there.

But i belive those brandd they have are real thing they carry hundreds of pounds cash in their pocket ...
Reply 24
Original post by Iqbal007

Original post by Iqbal007
I found this out working for barclays, its not that there rich, but it does hav something partly to do with the one child policy. So when a chinese family has a very smart child, there entire family ends up gathering up all the savings to this kids future, so in the future they'll b rich and giv money back. When i worked at Barclays they do a special service for them and according to them they bring £100,000+ with them

I suspect the smart kids you're talking about are different from those the OP sees. Students splashing out on beemers or designer bags are more likely to be the children of businessmen who have made it in the recent economic rise of China. They are used to having money. I imagine clever students who have worked to be where they are - and whose parents saved everything they had - are more likely to be embarrassed by, and uncomfortable with, the money.
In the same sense that I'll be a "rich international" when I go to university in America, because my parents will be be paying up to $60,000 per year. The fees are far higher for international students.... that's why more of the rich people you see will be international students.
Reply 26
This Chinese girl in front of me at the campus shop paid for bread and milk with a £50 note the other day! She had loads of them by the looks of things. Crazy.
Reply 27
Original post by Petit Pois
I'm sorry but they come from China, the home of where knock off designer goods are made and sold and you really think they're going to be real designer?
That it could be, but I'm sure the majority would be very good knock-offs are they are more accessible there.

Actually they also make the real designer stuff...
Original post by amsie/
They are ridiculously rich :yep:
But why don't they go to oxbridge or a prestigious uni instead? :s-smilie:

i think you still need a high degree of intelligence to study at places like oxford, and money can't buy you intelligence :tongue:
Original post by Greg.
This Chinese girl in front of me at the campus shop paid for bread and milk with a £50 note the other day! She had loads of them by the looks of things. Crazy.

That kind of happens when you come to the UK and you're in the process of opening a bank account.
I know a lot of people from the Middle East who came here to study simply so they can put their degree on the wall....

They will never work, and they don't know what to do with all the money they have.
Reply 31
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
That kind of happens when you come to the UK and you're in the process of opening a bank account.

Not when you're in like week 7 of term 2, you're not.
Reply 32
In Saudi there's no income tax. so that explains that. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by ily_em
Because, fortunately, people can't buy their way in to Oxbridge :rolleyes:

The majority of people at Oxbridge, domestic student or otherwise, were bought into Oxbridge. What do you think private school is all about?
Because its a self-selecting group, i.e. those who aren't rich enough to study in the UK, paying international-rate fees, aren't here.
Reply 35
My chinese friend has to pay £13,000 to study here. I was shocked.
She told me that in China, you're either very rich or very poor.

My sister also knows a chinese guy in her class that is very rich. One day he decided to go shopping, found 2 coats that he really liked, they were brand names. He couldn't decide which one to get so he got both o_O
And once he bought a knife for £100.
I was like what the heck is he going to do with a £100 knife?!? It turns out that the guy can cook on a professional level. I can't even cook half as good as he does and I am girl. -__-;
I think he cooks for his girlfriend like everyday o_o She is one lucky girl!!
Original post by amsie/
They are ridiculously rich :yep:
But why don't they go to oxbridge or a prestigious uni instead? :s-smilie:

cos they're not smart enough to go? For chinese the chinese who are not smart enough to go to oxbridge settle for any UK institution because it's more reputable. A chinese girl i met in New Zealand told me that studying in the UK for chinese gives prospective employers the idea that these foreign educated chinese are more well rounded and bring to a company a different mentality than home educated students. i.e. teach the chinese to become immersed in another culture and another way of thinking makes them better candidates in the workplace than those educated in china. I was interested by this girls view on it. Makes sense though.
Original post by Greg.

Original post by Greg.
Not when you're in like week 7 of term 2, you're not.

Some country have the culture to carry a lot of cash, other barely have none. From experience in France people have barely no cash and will use debit card to pay even 5€ (I tried to do that in Germany they looked at me as if I were coming from an other planet :confused:), while in Germany they will carry 500€ note (if they try to do that in France the shop will probably refuse the note). It is not related to the wealth of the people but to the national "culture".
Original post by Teveth
The majority of people at Oxbridge, domestic student or otherwise, were bought into Oxbridge. What do you think private school is all about?

you are my new best friend, haha. I've got negged so much for holding similar views :rolleyes: ....seems you've been negged more though :P
Original post by Tara_Ward
In Saudi there's no income tax. so that explains that. :smile:

A saudi friend of mine told me that in Saudi Arabia they get paidi £87000 a month if they are royal. So that explains why royals are right, the others probably have oil money directly working in a high paid job for Aramco

Latest

Trending

Trending