The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1
Original post by laurabaker
i am currently trying to choose a university and i am deciding between loughborough and nottingham to study product design. i was wondering if someone could please help me out on a couple of things about lboro.

- what is the social life like there? are there many places to go out to?
- are there many jewish people there? is there a jsoc?

thanks

OMG am having the same problem between nottingham and loughborough..i will like to choose loughborough but i went there and found out that the place is so boring if ure not that into sports, i love nottingham more because its a very nice place to live and study..u can easily get bored in loughborough..There is also nothing in loughborough city...{i.e like clubs,parties} e.t.c..nottingham is my firm because i cant see myself spending 4 years in loughborough. i have also been to notts and its so live there.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Hi, i went to Loughborough for 3 months. I'm going to be completely honest with you, i hated it. I really did. But it seemed like everyone there absolutely loved it, which makes me think it was just me. Its a fairly small town, with about 3/4 nightclubs. This has its advantages because you get to know everyone fairly fast. The main place at night was the Student Union. Personally i didn't like that either. The music wasn't my cup of tea and i found that it was very easy to lose everyone you were with. After living in a small town all my life i was kind of expecting more from this uni. However, alot of the people from big cities loved that it was small and homely. It depends on what you want really. A small, close knit town where you really do feel like you're part of the student body, OR a bigger, diverse and slightly more independent way of life.
As for the jewish part, 2 of the guys i met in my halls were Jewish, and i'm almost certain there was a JSOC :smile:

Hope i've been helpful, i don't want to put you off Loughborough but i wish someone would have given me this advice before i wasted my time and money!
x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by patzico
OMG am having the same problem between nottingham and loughborough..i will like to choose loughborough but i went there and found out that the place is so boring if ure not that into sports, i love nottingham more because its a very nice place to live and study..u can easily get bored in loughborough..There is also nothing in loughborough city...{i.e like clubs,parties} e.t.c..nottingham is my firm because i cant see myself spending 4 years in loughborough. i have also been to notts and its so live there.

Boring??!! Couldnt disagree more, you're the first person i've ever heard say that about loughborough! I've been at lufbra for 5 years now, and the social life here beats any other uni hands down! You dont have to be into sports just to come here, theres plenty of other things to do and get involved in.
Its dead easy to make friends here, being that its like a tight-knit community, and usually I cant walk more than 10 yards without bumping into someone I know.
Although town is small, you can always catch a train for about £3.50 to nottingham or leicester if you fancy something bigger.

This websites a good starting point - http://www.lufbra.net/
Plenty of decent stuff on there bout what you can get involved in, check out the 'get involved' and 'entertainments' section!
Reply 4
Original post by RyanShedler
Hi, i went to Loughborough for 3 months. I'm going to be completely honest with you, i hated it. I really did. But it seemed like everyone there absolutely loved it, which makes me think it was just me. Its a fairly small town, with about 3/4 nightclubs. This has its advantages because you get to know everyone fairly fast. The main place at night was the Student Union. Personally i didn't like that either. The music wasn't my cup of tea and i found that it was very easy to lose everyone you were with. After living in a small town all my life i was kind of expecting more from this uni. However, alot of the people from big cities loved that it was small and homely. It depends on what you want really. A small, close knit town where you really do feel like you're part of the student body, OR a bigger, diverse and slightly more independent way of life.
As for the jewish part, 2 of the guys i met in my halls were Jewish, and i'm almost certain there was a JSOC :smile:

Hope i've been helpful, i don't want to put you off Loughborough but i wish someone would have given me this advice before i wasted my time and money!
x

Hi, just wondering which course were you studying? I'm currently trying to choose between Loughborough and Brunel and it's such a hard choice! Loughborough seems like the better uni, new building, good campus feeling, good course rep but i've heard that you get hardly any tutor time and the design tasks can be boring? Brunel on the other hand seems relatively bland as a uni but the course seems good and so is the repuatation. Please help!
Original post by Dev
Boring??!! Couldnt disagree more, you're the first person i've ever heard say that about loughborough! I've been at lufbra for 5 years now, and the social life here beats any other uni hands down! You dont have to be into sports just to come here, theres plenty of other things to do and get involved in.
Its dead easy to make friends here, being that its like a tight-knit community, and usually I cant walk more than 10 yards without bumping into someone I know.
Although town is small, you can always catch a train for about £3.50 to nottingham or leicester if you fancy something bigger.

This websites a good starting point - http://www.lufbra.net/
Plenty of decent stuff on there bout what you can get involved in, check out the 'get involved' and 'entertainments' section!

You idiot. Its people like you who take snapchat selfies constantly in echoes and the union giving it the big large cos you never lost your virginity or even got drunk before your freshers year. Loughborough is full of people like you who come to uni with no mature social experience and then think loughborough is the new ibiza. Judging by your comment 'the social life here beats any other uni handsdown' definitely confirms to me you fit the loughborough clique profile.
Reply 6
Original post by LordStudent
You idiot. Its people like you who take snapchat selfies constantly in echoes and the union giving it the big large cos you never lost your virginity or even got drunk before your freshers year. Loughborough is full of people like you who come to uni with no mature social experience and then think loughborough is the new ibiza. Judging by your comment 'the social life here beats any other uni handsdown' definitely confirms to me you fit the loughborough clique profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You didn't think I noticed? from what I can see it hasn't changed a bit. However my previous reply was far too aggressive. I'm sure he's a nice guy.. maybe.
Reply 8
There is a Jewish society. Loughborough excels in terms of providing things for students to do, with societies etc. I'll be honest with you in terms of the nightlife, Nottingham would be a better choice. Loughborough's main nightlife is at the union and theres a closer culture on the campus as a result. The boy girl ratio is really out of proportion. However Ive enjoyed studying here and its what you make of it. If nightlife is your priority, don't choose Loughborough.
I'm trying to decide between Lboro and Exeter too, its kind of the same thing, Exeter is better rep for business but lboro seems better as a unI. PLEASE HELP
Original post by MissSalvatore
I'm trying to decide between Lboro and Exeter too, its kind of the same thing, Exeter is better rep for business but lboro seems better as a unI. PLEASE HELP

Hi MissSalvatore

I've replied to your other thread :smile:

Becky

Latest

Trending

Trending