The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Vet Applicants

Hi,

I'm having a problem gaining work experience in a small animal vets. I have e-mailed and called in to 25 between Liverpool and Manchester.

Would it be advisable to start at a kennel or farm and then proceed to a vet? And is there an order that work-experience should happen to gain the most benefit from it?

If anyone could advise me of vets that they have had work experience with in the past I would be grateful. I would be willing to travel but would prefer somewhere in the North-West.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm not a vet applicant but in all other areas of life I have found that there is an element of being in the right place at the right time so if it was me and I could get a job or work experience in a place like a kennel or farm then I would because the chances are you'll come in contact with a vet and that might open new opportunities.
Reply 2
Original post by jami74
I'm not a vet applicant but in all other areas of life I have found that there is an element of being in the right place at the right time so if it was me and I could get a job or work experience in a place like a kennel or farm then I would because the chances are you'll come in contact with a vet and that might open new opportunities.

Thanks for the reply Jami74. I was thinking about it this morning and that's the best way. At least I'll be in with an opportunity to meet people working with animals.
Reply 3
Original post by RocknRolla
Hi,

I'm having a problem gaining work experience in a small animal vets. I have e-mailed and called in to 25 between Liverpool and Manchester.

Thanks.

I've been thinking about this a bit and am wondering why you've had not one positive response from twenty-five surgeries. Have you asked any of them why? I'm wondering if it's to do with something out of your control, ie insurance or health & safety or something. If not could you try to reword your emails and maybe offer to volunteer rather than request work experience, that might sound more like you have something to give rather than needing something from them iykwim.
Reply 4
Hey Jami, I rang two of them and was told most vets only take students currently in school. It's to do with insurance (well spotted). Leahurst (Uni of Liverpool vets) have got in contact with me and I think something will be arranged. :biggrin: I'm delighted.

I have though got a placement with a kennel and a dairy farmer. So....will see what else can be done after doing these.

What are you at yourself?

Sorry for taking so long to reply I've been very busy this week.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RocknRolla
Hey Jami, I rang two of them and was told most vets only take students currently in school. It's to do with insurance (well spotted). Leahurst (Uni of Liverpool vets) have got in contact with me and I think something will be arranged. :biggrin: I'm delighted.

I have though got a placement with a kennel and a dairy farmer. So....will see what else can be done after doing these.

What are you at yourself?

Sorry for taking so long to reply I've been very busy this week.

Yay! Well done!

I wanted to be a vet when I was still at school but realistically it was never going to happen as I just wasn't academic enough. I knew I'd mucked up my GCSEs but thought that wouldn't matter if I got fantastic A'level results and plenty of experience. Sadly it did matter as I wasn't allowed to do the required A'levels because I wasn't clever enough but I did do some work experience at a small surgery near me and loved every minute of it. I ended up going weekly and even being paid for a year. I eventually left when I realised that it wasn't going to happen for me but not before being offered a job as a trainee vet nurse. I did have a career with animals though and worked alot with vets. Now I'm all grown up and doing a sensible, clean job and am applying to do an access course with the hope of doing something sciencey afterwards. Don't think I'd have a chance of getting on a veterinary course so not even going there.
Reply 6
Original post by jami74
Yay! Well done!

I wanted to be a vet when I was still at school but realistically it was never going to happen as I just wasn't academic enough. I knew I'd mucked up my GCSEs but thought that wouldn't matter if I got fantastic A'level results and plenty of experience. Sadly it did matter as I wasn't allowed to do the required A'levels because I wasn't clever enough but I did do some work experience at a small surgery near me and loved every minute of it. I ended up going weekly and even being paid for a year. I eventually left when I realised that it wasn't going to happen for me but not before being offered a job as a trainee vet nurse. I did have a career with animals though and worked alot with vets. Now I'm all grown up and doing a sensible, clean job and am applying to do an access course with the hope of doing something sciencey afterwards. Don't think I'd have a chance of getting on a veterinary course so not even going there.

Hmm...I do wonder if I am able for it myself. I am though going for it regardless. It's all or nothing!

What work did you do with animals after the vets?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending