The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Who's Starting Greenwich University in September 2011?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Greenwich University 2011

Business Management; woooop!]
280 UCAS points
Undecided

Course:
Requirements:
Living in or staying at home:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Accounting n finance- Greenwich campus
Actually I havent decided yet :frown:
I'm an international student :smile: the requirement for me is 70% overall n 6.0 IELTS
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Comp Sci :smile:
Unconditional, but my offer was for 200 points (I went to Staffordshire Uni last year and didn't like it... London here we come =D)
Living in, don't know if I want McMillan or Cutty Sark yet.
events management greenwich campus :smile:
firm choice
hopefully cutty sark halls?
Reply 4
Events Management 2011, cutty sark halls anyone? :smile:
English Lit, Greenwich Campus, unconditional offer.
Reply 6
English Literature with Italian, unconditional offer
Reply 7
law 320 at Home
Reply 8
Cinematography and Post Production MA, hopefully in Devonport House with all the other postgrads so I don't have to deal with all you lot :wink: -jokes-
Reply 9
Bsc (Hons) Learning Disabilities Nursing
University of Greenwich
Avery Hill Campus :-)
Reply 10
Film and Television Production (280 pts) - Conditional
I'm going to be staying at home for my first year the consider going to halls.

See you all at the freshers fair :biggrin:
Reply 11
TESOL/English Language Teaching
Unconditional
Greenwich Camus
I'll be in the Halls, most likely Cutty Sark
(^_^)
Reply 12
I really hope that someone can help me out here. You see, I've been made an unconditional offer to study Film Production at Greenwich University and a conditional offer to study Drama and Film Studies at the University of Hull. Obviously, Hull is the better university because it combines drama with film but Greenwich doesn't, but my problem is this :

The only reason I'm considering going to Greenwich is because I need to be in London. There are many auditions I'm hoping to attend and gain experience for my acting career before I move to L.A. In Hull, I won't be able to do that. It's just that out of every 10 reviews I read about Greenwich University, only 1 is positive. It's unbelievable. And what's more, they all say scary things like "Stay away!" "Don't say I never warned you!" "If only I can turn back time!" "Money down the drain!"

The thing is, I know that becoming an actor/film director in USA doesn't require a degree from the most prestigious university in the UK, whereas experience is. That's why I'm tempted to go to Greenwich, Hull is just so far away from everything.

Can anyone help me? What do you guys suggest I do? Is Greenwich really that bad to go to? Should it always be just a last resort? Is Hull really that good not to turn down?

Thanks a lot!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by patrick101
I really hope that someone can help me out here. You see, I've been made an unconditional offer to study Film Production at Greenwich University and a conditional offer to study Drama and Film Studies at the University of Hull. Obviously, Hull is the better university because it combines drama with film but Greenwich doesn't, but my problem is this :

The only reason I'm considering going to Greenwich is because I need to be in London. There are many auditions I'm hoping to attend and gain experience for my acting career before I move to L.A. In Hull, I won't be able to do that. It's just that out of every 10 reviews I read about Greenwich University, only 1 is positive. It's unbelievable. And what's more, they all say scary things like "Stay away!" "Don't say I never warned you!" "If only I can turn back time!" "Money down the drain!"

The thing is, I know that becoming an actor/film director in USA doesn't require a degree from the most prestigious university in the UK, whereas experience is. That's why I'm tempted to go to Greenwich, Hull is just so far away from everything.

Can anyone help me? What do you guys suggest I do? Is Greenwich really that bad to go to? Should it always be just a last resort? Is Hull really that good not to turn down?

Thanks a lot!

I've not been to Hull OR Greenwich (yet), but you should go with what you feel. From everything I've heard, London is a good place to be. And it would make attending auditions so much easier for you as a lot of them, I imagine, would be in the city itself. But if they're not, London has excellent links to everywhere else.

Hull is, of course, the "better" university. It depends how much you value the reputation of your degree and how important having a reputable degree is in your chosen field. Do some research?

Have you been to see both? If so, go with the one you prefer overall and where you think you'd be happiest. If not, go to open days.

As London is my last option, I'm majorly bias in the hope it's not going to mean the next 3 or 4 years of my life will be utter ****.
Hello all! :smile:

Glad to see new students mixing with one another on here :smile:

For the latest news on the University of Greenwich you can follow us on Twitter and be our fan on Facebook. Links are below :smile:

http://twitter.com/#!/UniofGreenwich

http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Greenwich-Enquiry-Unit/171113272921395

Any queries let us know :smile:
Reply 15
When are we going to receive our freshers package?
Some info pls. :biggrin:
Hello!

Im at Greenwich ^_^ (just finished my first year studying primary education!)

From what I remember you get a freshers pack through after results day, so look out for that :smile:

If anyone needs any info about the Avery Hill Campus (I lived there) or about primary ed, feel free to PM me :smile:

Liv.x
Reply 17
Original post by patrick101

Thanks a lot!

Don't know about Hull but I'm going to Greenwich for London connections also. Drama is very different to film production though! They sound like completely different courses to me. So don't assume Hull will be better for combining the two :s-smilie:

And film studies is not the same as film production either! It's a lot of written work and does not necessarily involve filmmaking or acting at all. Just lots of essays about films you probably don't care about.

As for people saying Greenwich is bad. I think that entirely depends on the course you take. It's a lovely place to be and quite a few films have been filmed in the area (connections there).

And with film production, it's more about how you use the equipment, how you can be creative yourself! Really doesn't matter if you go to a "bad" university as long as you have access to expensive cameras etc. Think of it more as equipment loan with extra guidance along the side :smile:

And to be perfectly honest... who reviews a university after they've graduated? Nobody I would associate with XD

For the record, I'm doing my postgrad at Greenwich, in Cinematography and Post Production. I did film and tv studies at Aberystwyth and that was great but a lot of essay writing, though I really went for the practical module choices in my final year. I think it's good that Greenwich is providing these practical courses in film production. They're pretty hard to come by in the UK it would seem!

Not saying this proves Greenwich is the place to be but having a whole 3 year course devoted to film production is definitely saying something!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Scapetti
Don't know about Hull but I'm going to Greenwich for London connections also. Drama is very different to film production though! They sound like completely different courses to me. So don't assume Hull will be better for combining the two :s-smilie:

And film studies is not the same as film production either! It's a lot of written work and does not necessarily involve filmmaking or acting at all. Just lots of essays about films you probably don't care about.

As for people saying Greenwich is bad. I think that entirely depends on the course you take. It's a lovely place to be and quite a few films have been filmed in the area (connections there).

And with film production, it's more about how you use the equipment, how you can be creative yourself! Really doesn't matter if you go to a "bad" university as long as you have access to expensive cameras etc. Think of it more as equipment loan with extra guidance along the side :smile:

And to be perfectly honest... who reviews a university after they've graduated? Nobody I would associate with XD

For the record, I'm doing my postgrad at Greenwich, in Cinematography and Post Production. I did film and tv studies at Aberystwyth and that was great but a lot of essay writing, though I really went for the practical module choices in my final year. I think it's good that Greenwich is providing these practical courses in film production. They're pretty hard to come by in the UK it would seem!

Not saying this proves Greenwich is the place to be but having a whole 3 year course devoted to film production is definitely saying something!

I can't thank you enough for your extremely helpful reply. It's been really convincing and I would not even be having second thoughts nor posting any such posts on forums, were it not for all the bad reviews that have been haunting me everywhere on the net! It's just that I knew from the first moment that I found out about Greenwich, that I wanted to be there next September. The campus was absolutely breathtaking! I've always been a real sucker for having a "Hogwarts" sort of school/university with amazing grounds and graduating in the incredible Painted Hall where Nicole Kidman once glided along! But I know that these are all the silly aspects which I should not be considering! I would hate to take a film course that's mainly all theoretical ... Film production sounded much more appealing!

Anyway, I don't wanna keep you and bore you with all my comments and life story! Thanks again !
Reply 19
I am :smile: Creative Writing ... I've had my results already though so i'm just waiting for my freshers pack.

I'm so hyped up so i hope i'm not disapointed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending