The Student Room Group

Being a teacher with a tattoo

Long story short - want to be a secondary school History teacher (11-18)
I've done my research about routes into teaching but I can't seem to find much on things about tattoos!

I've just booked my to get my tattoo done and I'm wondering if this will hinder my chances of employment or even on a PGCE course?

It's going to be on my inner wrist - it's a black and white swallow flying and will maybe get a scroll added with the word Freedom.

It's not going to be small but it will be easily covered with a bangle/sleeve

The teachers I know don't have tattoos in obvious and constantly visible places.

any info would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Samus2
I've done my research about routes into teaching but I can't seem to find much on things about tattoos!

I've just booked my to get my tattoo done and I'm wondering if this will hinder my chances of employment or even on a PGCE course?

It's going to be on my inner wrist - it's a black and white swallow flying and will maybe get a scroll added with the word Freedom.

The teachers I know don't have tattoos in obvious and constantly visible places.

I'm not sure about the teacher thing but sounds like a really nice tattoo:smile: i wouldn't have any writing though, the swallow never landing speaks for itself
Reply 2
I don't think it matters unless your covered in tattoos,as long as your a good teacher and professional
you could always cover it up with long sleeves when you want to.A few of my tutors had tattoos.
Original post by Samus2

I don't actually know, but in my opinion it could harm your chances to get jobs as some schools will be strict and you may not be able to cover it with a bangle (school may have rules on jewellry) and in the summer you wouldnt want to wear long sleeves.

If I was you I'd either not get a tattoo or get it somewhere more easily covered.

x
I don't know whether it'll harm your chances, but you'll look a bit ridiculous with a dying swan drooping over your wrist. :dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by jismith1989
I don't know whether it'll harm your chances, but you'll look a bit ridiculous with a dying swan drooping over your wrist. :dontknow:

a dying swan?!
As long as it's not a swastika or something then I don't think it'd matter.
Reply 7
We were convinced my old Maths teacher had the pi symbol tattooed on her lower back...
Reply 8
One of my teachers at school had a bad limp, a big moustache, and a selection of incomprehensible slang. Rumour had it he had a tattoo on his forearm, but no-one had ever seen it. After countless calls of 'Please sir, show us your tat' one day, he rolled up his sleeve and we all crowded round. It was a long dagger and around the hilt it said 'Commando - Royal Marines'.

Awed silence from class of 12-yr-olds. :biggrin:
Reply 9
One of my teachers had a tattoo of a ladybird on her wrist... :dontknow:
Reply 10
I have a tattoo on my lower back so people only see it when I choose to show it. I dont think it will effect your chances as you can wear sleeves to interviews etc. However, my best friend had one on her arm and now 5 years later she doesnt like it but sees it all the time and cant hide it. She is 27 so it will be worse when she is 70 and wrinkly.
Haha it should be fine mate, had an english teacher with a tramp stamp :biggrin:
Reply 12
It matters! You can not work as a teacher if you have a tattoo. When you are interviewed they will force you to get naked for a tattoo/piercing check.
Reply 13
Wheres that interview! I am not going there!
Reply 14
Original post by h4zelh
I have a tattoo on my lower back so people only see it when I choose to show it. I dont think it will effect your chances as you can wear sleeves to interviews etc. However, my best friend had one on her arm and now 5 years later she doesnt like it but sees it all the time and cant hide it. She is 27 so it will be worse when she is 70 and wrinkly.

Ie a tramp stamp? Slag tag?

Spoiler

I've seen plenty teachers with tattoos. I know a few people training to be teachers with tattoos. My cousin is a teacher and has tattoos. If you are able to hide it easily I can't see it doing too much harm.
I plan to be a teacher and I have a very large tattoo on my back, as long as you cover it when you need to it's fine. I knew teachers at my school who had tattoo's on their arms and still wore short sleeves.
Reply 17
I have a big tattoo on my wrist its in memory of my baby sister. It's a butterfly, and then on the top part of my wrist i have my sisters name.
I have loads of experience working in school settings, and i've never been judged about it. You do get some younger children writing on their arm trying to copy, but as long as you deal with it in a professional way i dont think there's ever a problem. However when i've had interviews for teaching at universities i've worn long sleeved tops just incase i got an interviewer who was very anti tattoos!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 18
As long as no-one sees it on interview etc why would it matter? / How would they know? It's not like the police application form where you have to declare all tattoos! Also my friend (teacher) has a small bird thing on her wrist and one of the male teachers on first placement had a few on his forearm from his army days including his blood type and DOB :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Jez RR
One of my teachers at school had a bad limp, a big moustache, and a selection of incomprehensible slang. Rumour had it he had a tattoo on his forearm, but no-one had ever seen it. After countless calls of 'Please sir, show us your tat' one day, he rolled up his sleeve and we all crowded round. It was a long dagger and around the hilt it said 'Commando - Royal Marines'.

Awed silence from class of 12-yr-olds. :D

God children are so easily impressed these days! :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending