The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

American Post-graduate students at UCL 2011?

Hello! Just wondering if there were any other American post-grads as excited as me to start up at UCL in the fall? I'm most likely entering into the Cultural Heritages Studies masters program.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there!

I'll be coming to UCL for a postgrad course in psychology and yes, I am ridiculously excited! Where are you from in the states? Have you figured out your accomodation yet? I haven't, I've been a bit slow with this. I haven't started the visa process either and I'm not really looking forward to it. I spent a few months in England right after high school and really fell in love with it. I'm hoping that if all goes well this coming year that I'll stay on for a Phd. I think this year will be awesome (busy, but awesome.)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hello,

I'll be there for my MA in Archaeology. Its getting close now, and I don't think could be more excited.

where about in the US are you folks from?
I'm not American but lived in Maryland most of my life. Starting my post grad at the Bartlett.
Reply 4
Original post by missapples
Hi there!

I'll be coming to UCL for a postgrad course in psychology and yes, I am ridiculously excited! Where are you from in the states? Have you figured out your accomodation yet? I haven't, I've been a bit slow with this. I haven't started the visa process either and I'm not really looking forward to it. I spent a few months in England right after high school and really fell in love with it. I'm hoping that if all goes well this coming year that I'll stay on for a Phd. I think this year will be awesome (busy, but awesome.)

I'm from Richmond, VA and I'm still waiting to hear on my accomodation! I'm also waiting to see if my Visa application goes through- I made a couple mistakes, so I'm a little worried about it :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Hello! I'm an American post-grad. and will be attending UCL in the Fall as well! I'll be studying Principles of Conservation while there. I'm also waiting on my accommodation...I guess my application got lost in the mail and I had to call up and get that situated.
Reply 6
Are any of you flying into the UK early for International Student orientation? We should all meet up!
Reply 7
From San Francisco, MSc in Geography, arriving the 19th of Sept. Got accommodation offer this morning, so others' should be out soon!
Hey lisainthefield- I'll be arriving in the UK to study the Cultural Heritage Studies MA at UCL as well!

Also I arrive in the UK on August 30th, so I'll be at the International Student Orientation. I'd love to meet some people before term starts!
Reply 9
Another American in the Principles of Conservation program? I think that makes about three of us now! Definitely interested in meeting up with you lot as it seems like a lot of us have the same interests--archaeology, cultural heritage studies, conservation, etc. :smile:
Original post by katethegreat16
Hey lisainthefield- I'll be arriving in the UK to study the Cultural Heritage Studies MA at UCL as well!

Also I arrive in the UK on August 30th, so I'll be at the International Student Orientation. I'd love to meet some people before term starts!

Awesome! I'll probably be in the UK around August 18th- we should definitely meet up during orientation!
Reply 11
Hello Everyone!

I would love to meet up, especially since we're all in the same position with attending UCL and our interests! I'll be going over to London from Massachusetts on Sept. 18-19th. I'm really excited to finally leave for London, but I'm certainly nervous as well. Does anyone happen to know if you can take out money using american debit cards at London atms? I know I'll have to set up a new bank account when I get there but I'm just wondering about my existing accounts I have now in the U.S.. Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by UCL2011
Hello Everyone!

I would love to meet up, especially since we're all in the same position with attending UCL and our interests! I'll be going over to London from Massachusetts on Sept. 18-19th. I'm really excited to finally leave for London, but I'm certainly nervous as well. Does anyone happen to know if you can take out money using american debit cards at London atms? I know I'll have to set up a new bank account when I get there but I'm just wondering about my existing accounts I have now in the U.S.. Thanks!

You'll be able to use the ATMs as long as you call your bank ahead of time and let them know that you'll be living in England, or else security precautions will kick in and your card might be frozen. Just keep in mind though that unless you find the UK equivalent/partner of your US bank, there will be a fee every time you use an ATM in addition to a fee by your bank for being overseas--I think it might be anywhere from 10-15%.

That being said, whereabouts are you in MA? I went to college there!
Reply 13
Original post by vitaMin17
You'll be able to use the ATMs as long as you call your bank ahead of time and let them know that you'll be living in England, or else security precautions will kick in and your card might be frozen. Just keep in mind though that unless you find the UK equivalent/partner of your US bank, there will be a fee every time you use an ATM in addition to a fee by your bank for being overseas--I think it might be anywhere from 10-15%.

That being said, whereabouts are you in MA? I went to college there!

Thanks so much for letting me know...I had a feeling there would be crazy fees involved, ugh. I'm right outside Boston, and went to school there for my undergrad. as well. Where did you go to school and did you major in archaeology as well? Hopefully we can meet up in London!
Reply 14
Original post by UCL2011
Thanks so much for letting me know...I had a feeling there would be crazy fees involved, ugh. I'm right outside Boston, and went to school there for my undergrad. as well. Where did you go to school and did you major in archaeology as well? Hopefully we can meet up in London!

:eek: No way! I was a little outside of Boston as well... do you mind me asking which uni you attended? (PM if you want) And my undergrad had nothing to do with archaeology at all, haha. Still think UCL was a bit off its rocker when taking me.
Reply 15
Hi y'all,

I totally forgot that I had posted here! I'm happy to see that it got some replies. I think getting together would be a great idea (I'm coming in a bit early- the 11th I think) so I would be down for meeting up. Speaking of school in MA, I just finished a grad program in western mass. Small world and all that I guess...
Reply 16
Hi y'all,

I totally forgot that I had posted here! I'm happy to see that it got some replies. I think getting together would be a great idea (I'm coming in a bit early- the 11th I think) so I would be down for meeting up. Speaking of school in MA, I just finished a grad program in western mass. Small world and all that I guess...

That's really cool! What was the grad. program in, if you don't mind my asking? It really is a small world! Massachusetts does have some great schools though!
Reply 17
to UCL2011:
Masters of education of the deaf. I have a little brother who is deaf and really like working with deaf/hard of hearing kids. Gosh, I'm jealous you're near Boston, it's such a great town.
Reply 18
to UCL2011:
Masters of education of the deaf. I have a little brother who is deaf and really like working with deaf/hard of hearing kids. Gosh, I'm jealous you're near Boston, it's such a great town.

Wow, that's amazing, I wish you the best of luck with your postgrad. program at UCL! Boston is awesome, I'll definitely miss it when I leave, but look forward to becoming familiar with a whole new town! I am trying to spend lots of time in Boston before I leave though :smile:
Reply 19
Hey! I'll be doing a MSc in Global Migration next year- I'm from Illinois, went to undergrad in Chicago. I just got my housing last week by email- Ian Baker House. I'm thinking about going around Sep 20th, and attending the orientation. The visa process has been a struggle, I finally got my fingerprints taken today, and I'll be mailing everything off to the NY consulate general tomorrow, though I'm really worried about mailing them my passport 5 weeks before term starts!!!!

Quick Reply