The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9060
Original post by charmandbrace
LMFAO don't worry, I googled their names and found an article. I think the Linguistics girl went to Cambridge for her interview

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=a9241cef-12f0-4040-af9b-ff5a97e2a7a1

I know, it's kind of stalker-ish :colondollar:

This has been the most expensive application ever, and if it totals to $1000, I think we would have both broken a world record lol
I hope it is worth it for both of us!

Hopefully we will get a reply from Blyth tomorrow. I know, I feel like I am going to be all "Mommy.... Daddy... I love you!" to my parents and negotiate them with my savings from my part-time job. I'm still undecided about the interview though! :s-smilie:

LOL I actually think I went a bit further than that; one of the winners (I won't say who!) doesn't make her facebook private, so you can technically snoop on her wall and such :colondollar:

& I know! imagine spending $1000 on a university application and NOT being made an offer!

I hope Blyth replies soon; us Arts applicants are at a severe disadvantage for the scholarship if we're not allowed interview in Canada since it's so difficult to be made an offer without an interview, and without an offer, there's no scholarship :s-smilie:

I was thinking, wouldn't it be horrible to go to Cambridge for an interview, live, sleep and eat at the college for a day or two, and once having had a taste of life at Cambridge, be rejected?!

Original post by BiscuitGirl
Is it my imagination, or has there been mention of Skype interviews for people who can't get to Cambridge and can't be interviewed in their own country? Because if so, it's not exactly ideal, but maybe you could email King's and ask for that? I think it's silly of them to expect you to fly from the other side of the world for one day of interviews - quite apart from the cost of flying, the jet lag would be horrible and not at all a fair basis for comparative interviews.

I did email King's and asked them if a Skype interview was possible, but for some reason, they said it isn't. I was confused too, because I always assumed that was possible, and I know a girl from my school applied to Oxford last year and had a Skype interview as well.

See, I've been looking at plane tickets, and interviews for MML at King's are (provisionally) December 5, 6 and 7. The UK is six hours ahead of us, so if I had an interview scheduled December 5 morning, for example, it would be so hard for me to concentrate because it would be the middle of the night for me in Canada!
Original post by jamib0y
Natural Sciences Physical at Churchill
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy :biggrin: :cool:

11A*s GCSE :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Maths, Fm, Physics, Chem, Chinese AS- dropped Chinese

Didnt do too great in Chemistry/ Chinese:eek::eek::eek:
and im chinese =| :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::angry::angry: but 5As :biggrin:- actually 4As, FM As doesnt count till next year

Yeah A2- just Maths, Further, Chem , Physics

:colone:

lol :colone:
Reply 9062
Original post by Gémeaux
Mega excited!! :biggrin:
I've just checked my email and I've been invited to interview - woo! On the 23rd November at Christ's for Law. Just very nervous that it's so soon :s-smilie:

I love Crist's!:s-smilie:
Reply 9063
I am an international applicant, from Singapore
I applied to Natural Sciences Physical ,in St Catharine’s College,which does not requrie TSA.

However, as international applicants, we are all supposed to take the TSA.
Cambridge Website says if you are interviewed in cambridge, then no need to take the TSA, if interview elsewhere, then should take it...that's why I am confused...

Anyway how important is the tsa?

So will the college I applied to take my TSA result into consideration, or
the TSA is just for a backup in case I am pooled to the college that requires TSA?
I feel my TSA is completely a disaster but my other aspects are fairly well.
So how important is the TSA? Will my prefered college (catz, which says they do not require TSA, on the website) look at the TSA result at the first place?
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
That makes me feel less on edge, thanks. Congratulations on your offer btw, are you doing any exams this year because your sig still has it as conditional?

Thanks! Nooo, I'm not, I just completely forgot about my signature and left it saying that. :tongue: I'm definitely going next year! :smile:

Original post by paraselenae
oh thank god, i feel so much better now :biggrin: thanks a lot!! when was your interview?

Aww, no problem! I can remember it so well, last year. :tongue: My interview was 13th December, I think, which seemed quite late compared to many!
Reply 9065
Original post by charmandbrace
X

My email to Blyth was for naught, since I just realized I've been rejected for the Blyth scholarship :s-smilie:
Original post by mpc1
Did you get the Imperial open day invitation. As an intl applicant, will you be excusing yourself or will you just ignore the mail.

i did not get any letter from imperial so im very worried T.T gonna ask my college mates if any of them got it...
Original post by Guanqi
I am an international applicant, from Singapore
I applied to Natural Sciences Physical ,in St Catharine’s College,which does not requrie TSA.

However, as international applicants, we are all supposed to take the TSA.
Cambridge Website says if you are interviewed in cambridge, then no need to take the TSA, if interview elsewhere, then should take it...that's why I am confused...

Anyway how important is the tsa?

So will the college I applied to take my TSA result into consideration, or
the TSA is just for a backup in case I am pooled to the college that requires TSA?
I feel my TSA is completely a disaster but my other aspects are fairly well.
So how important is the TSA? Will my prefered college (catz, which says they do not require TSA, on the website) look at the TSA result at the first place?

i think its different for itnl students. they have a standardized admission procedure for all the colleges because otherwise would be near to impossible.

im a malaysian and i had a Maths Admission Test after my interivew. all malaysian maths candidates need to do that no matter which college you are attending to...
With all the issues and concerns from international applicants, this thread is becoming increasingly irrelevant, chaotic, and boring to everyone in the UK.

Why can't we have 'International Cambridge Applicants for 2012 entry' and 'UK Cambridge Applicants for 2012 entry'? Has this been suggested before?
Original post by jamib0y

11A*s GCSE :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

and im chinese =| :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::angry::angry: but 5As :biggrin:- actually 4As, FM As doesnt count till next year

If you want to be added to the list, please write all your information in the same order as the others have done!
does practically everyone who applies to Queens' apply for deferred entry? I applied for 2012 and would like to change to deferred if this is the case (Queens' encourages deferred). Will this affect my chances of getting an interview cos i didnt defer?
Original post by Welsh Lady
Hey everybody:smile:

I hope this list is helpful!
If you want me to add you to the list or change the information given about you, please QUOTE me and tell me your subject. But please don`t quote the whole list.

Please can you add me to list :smile:

Username: oh_1993
College: Queens' (CSAS)
Subject: Mathematics
GCSE's: ABBBCCDDD
A-Levels (Predicted): Mathematics (A*) Further Mathematics (A*) Physics (B)
Original post by -raisa
My email to Blyth was for naught, since I just realized I've been rejected for the Blyth scholarship :s-smilie:

I don't know what to say! I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:
Original post by deejayy
When was the deadline on returning the forms, because i haven't been sent anything yet? Do you think that because I'm applying deferred that I won't be sent them?

No deadline has been specified as far as I am aware.
Original post by snow leopard
With all the issues and concerns from international applicants, this thread is becoming increasingly irrelevant, chaotic, and boring to everyone in the UK.

Why can't we have 'International Cambridge Applicants for 2012 entry' and 'UK Cambridge Applicants for 2012 entry'? Has this been suggested before?

I think this is a bad idea. This is a thread for everyone applying to Cambridge. Sure some of the international guys have more hoops to jump through but in the end we're all applying to the same place and hoping to study at this university together (with as many of us as can make it).
Original post by jamib0y

Too many smilies and unstructured writing. Seriously it makes you come across as a little child. Other than that - welcome. And what do you mean FM AS doesn't count till next year? :smile:
Original post by oh_1993
does practically everyone who applies to Queens' apply for deferred entry? I applied for 2012 and would like to change to deferred if this is the case (Queens' encourages deferred). Will this affect my chances of getting an interview cos i didnt defer?

I'm applying to Queens' for 2012 entry, and don't know anything about the college encouraging/preferring deferred applications. What exactly do you mean? And why would you consider changing your application to deferred?
Original post by hassi94
I think this is a bad idea. This is a thread for everyone applying to Cambridge. Sure some of the international guys have more hoops to jump through but in the end we're all applying to the same place and hoping to study at this university together (with as many of us as can make it).

I didn't catch any explanation there as to why it's a bad idea, just a motivational 'we're all in this together' speech which we've heard too many times.

Yes, in the end we're applying to the same place, but during that process I want relevant people who are in a similar situation saying relevant things that are interesting to read and that I can relate to.

This thread has turned to an international cry for help / make me feel better / ask questions that no one can precisely answer thread.

I've seen frequent posters disappear and even I'm posting less and less because this thread is turning boring. Hard to sort through all the posts and find who here in the UK has had invitations/responses/etcetc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9078
I didn't catch any explanation there as to why it's a bad idea, just a motivational 'we're all in this together' speech which we've heard too many times.

Yes, in the end we're applying to the same place, but during that process I want relevant people who are in a similar situation saying relevant things that are interesting to read and that I can relate to.

This thread has turned to an international cry for help / make me feel better / ask questions that no one can precisely answer thread.

I've seen frequent posters disappear and even I'm posting less and less because this thread is turning boring. Hard to sort through all the posts and find who here in the UK has had invitations/responses/etcetc.

Or there could be less information and posting from home students at the minute because no one is hearing much yet, whereas international students are receiving interviews etc so you're hearing more from them.

A lot of the information is the same when the 'what should i wear to interview' etc questions start to appear.

There is an international applicants thread, here. I don't see any need to force the internationals to post in there instead of in this thread - particularly because an applicant thread is about community and mutual support as well as about asking and answering questions. It can be politely suggested that the international applicants do use the other thread for any queries that they have, but I would say that total segregation isn't really what's needed here. I also don't have time to comb this thread and remove any posts accidentally made by international applicants to the other thread. I do at least 90% of the modding within Oxbridge and that scale of post moving simply isn't practical for me.

Incidentally, I had already seen your post but hadn't been able to get round to answering it because I have spent all day in the library. I apologise for being a bit slow :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending