The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -raisa
Yeah, I think a more personal essay would've helped. I think it's weird that they want us to write an academic essay, so I sent them a commentary on Kafka's Metamorphosis (MML applicant!). & I don't think they ever looked at our PS's too, which is a shame :s-smilie:

& wait, I think you may have got a different email that mine. The bolded bit was never mentioned in my email...

+ it's so unfortunate that we didn't apply last year! no offence, but the winners from last year don't look all that exceptionally special... & I remember reading how there were only about 100 applicants too; I thought that even if the number was doubled, I would still be fortunate enough to be interviewed, but I guess not :frown:

I'm filled with so many regrets right now...
Your essay sounds interesting, I like Kafka, and that's great for MML.
I feel that by not even having an interview, the rejection is more painful.
I just wanted a chance...

I got two emails from Blyth, the "official" one, and the other from the Blyth guy answering my question. In it, he said that I was not selected for the shortlist, even before they sent out the formal email :frown: (no "I'm sorry to say", so that's what I mean by being flat-out rejected).

"you were not selected for the short list of the scholarship; however, I believe you are still being considered by Cambridge for admission. This latter point is why I am seeking clarification from Cambridge. Email notifications of the short list should be circulated tomorrow or Friday and those not on the list may or may not still be considered by Cambridge, but they will not be part of the scholarship process. I will try to make this clear in the emails that will be sent out by the end of the week."

This is what I assume, but I guess that even though they will get the info, we might not until the half of November then :s-smilie:

Yeah, why does it have to be this year? I wonder if there were any applicants this year who were superhumans and worked with universities on research etc. < something that scholarships eat up. I also agree about what you said about last year's winners, which is making me think about who are this years applicants.
My MML friend and I were talking about it, and it may sound odd, but it's going to be a dodgeball to the stomach if any of the winners are for English or MML. It would be like an indirect "It's not you... actually it was you, because they were so much better" message. Ughhhhhh. :'(
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9101
Original post by charmandbrace
I'm filled with so many regrets right now...
Your essay sounds interesting, I like Kafka, and that's great for MML.
I feel that by not even having an interview, the rejection is more painful.
I just wanted a chance...

I got two emails from Blyth, the "official" one, and the other from the Blyth guy answering my question. In it, he said that I was not selected for the shortlist, even before they sent out the formal email :frown: (no "I'm sorry to say", so that's what I mean by being flat-out rejected).

"you were not selected for the short list of the scholarship; however, I believe you are still being considered by Cambridge for admission. This latter point is why I am seeking clarification from Cambridge. Email notifications of the short list should be circulated tomorrow or Friday and those not on the list may or may not still be considered by Cambridge, but they will not be part of the scholarship process. I will try to make this clear in the emails that will be sent out by the end of the week."

Yeah, why does it have to be this year? I wonder if there were any applicants this year who were superhumans and worked with universities on research etc. < something that scholarships eat up. I also agree about what you said about last years winners, which is making me think about who are this years applicants.
My MML friend and I were talking about it, and it may sound odd, but it's going to be a dodgeball to the stomach if any of the winners are for English or MML. It would be like an indirect "It's not you... actually it was you, because they were so much better" message. Ughhhhhh. :'(

samee... I just wanted a chance to prove myself at interview; personally, I think most people shine through a lot more in person that on paper. & I know, I love Kafka! unfortunately, I won't get a chance to share my love of Kafka with anyone since Cambridge isn't interviewing me either :frown:

wow. the Blyth guy didn't even reply to my email! & I sent it before you did :/

& I think the bolded part is referring to the email they sent out last night, since that email specifies we won't be hearing anything from Cambridge anymore.

same. I will be so disappointed if the winners are ARTS applicants in general, since Cambridge refuses to interview ARTS applicants in Canada :/

& I PMed you regarding the whole "superhuman" applicants thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gémeaux
I have no idea, it's just what Christ's have decided to do for Law. On the Christ's website it stated what all the proposed dates for each subject are, so maybe your college have got something similar? :smile:

Thank you! And yes it's scarily early, I didn't even expect the invitation to come this soon!

I can't find that page on Christ's proposed interview dates? Do you mind directing me there?

Thanks!
ohhh relief! my written work got delivered tonight to King's... I was so nervous about missing the deadline! :s-smilie:
Original post by -raisa
samee... I just wanted a chance to prove myself at interview; personally, I think most people shine through a lot more in person that on paper. & I know, I love Kafka! unfortunately, I won't get a chance to share my love of Kafka with anyone since Cambridge isn't interviewing me either :frown:

wow. the Blyth guy didn't even reply to my email! & I sent it before you did :/

& I think the bolded part is referring to the email they sent out last night, since that email specifies we won't be hearing anything from Cambridge anymore.

same. I will be so disappointed if the winners are ARTS applicants in general, since Cambridge refuses to interview ARTS applicants in Canada :/

& I PMed you regarding the whole "superhuman" applicants thing.

I know, and that's what makes the rejection so painful :frown:

What, really? I emailed him about an hour later than you did, so he should have gotten to your email first. Wow, how rude of him, it makes me even more angry/sad. That's probably right, I guess I misread it. Either way, Blyth will know before us.

I got your pm, but will read it right now. I was sulking in front of the tv a few minutes ago, so I put my computer on hibrate.

Yeah, that's pretty much true about the arts applicants thing.
The next few months are going to be horrible, just waiting to see who are announced. Then maybe I can just move on. :frown:
Original post by pathfinderr
I can't find that page on Christ's proposed interview dates? Do you mind directing me there?

Thanks!

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-applications/applinfo/subject_interview_info/

click on the link for your subject on this page
Original post by strawberryjellybaby
Thank you for clearing that up, apparently they are changing something to do with psychology but since I'm more of a political gal that doesn't matter to me!

Really? Well its no longer compulsary to study all three PPS subjects in your first year, which is good. I mean it seems a bit unfair to the politics people to have to study psychology in their first year (and visa versa). I don't know of any other changes however...
I've finally sent off my written work! I put in the stamped, self-addressed postcard and sent it by trackable delivery. I don't trust Royal Mail even a little bit.
Reply 9108
Has anyone applying to gonville and caius recieved a data protection form and a fee form?

apart from my application acknowledgement i havnt recieved ANYTHING and its freaking me out :s-smilie:
Christ's have just extended their possible interview dates for English by a week! I'm guessing there's a lot applying :P
Original post by fefì
I've just paid for my application. I'd like to study architecture...If they don't admit me, I'll probably go to the university of milan, it's easier to come in
I don't exactly know what my A levels are because here in Italy our marks are numbers, so A is probably the same as 9 and 10...If this is right, I got A in Italian, English, Ancient Greek, Latin, History of art, Math, Physics, Biology, Philosophy and History - to sum up, in everything but law.

A is an italian 8 you have almost all A* which is much better especially for Cambridge!
How's your portfolio? Did u get a task prior the interview? Or will you just do a test if you get one?
Reply 9111
Hi there, I'm sending off all my forms and my example of work tomorrow for my English application, but the thing I'm struggling with is the requirement to provide a list of recently read texts; firstly, what kind of books should I put down? I realise that they should probably be varied in genre and context, but are there any that you recommend I put down (and if I haven't read them yet, should do so)? Also, how many do you think I should have, as I'm aware that there's a fine line between sounding like you never reading anything ever, and writing down a ridiculous amount of books that I'll never get around to properly preparing for potential interview. If anyone could reply ASAP that would be great, so I can send this off (: Thank you!
Reply 9112
Original post by BiscuitGirl
I've finally sent off my written work! I put in the stamped, self-addressed postcard and sent it by trackable delivery. I don't trust Royal Mail even a little bit.

I should have requested a tracking number too, I only sent mine by next day delivery. According to the post office it should arrive in Cam by 1pm so I really hope it all gets there on time!
Original post by ReMos
Has anyone applying to gonville and caius recieved a data protection form and a fee form?

apart from my application acknowledgement i havnt recieved ANYTHING and its freaking me out :s-smilie:

Me neither. What are you applying for?
Hey guys, how are we meant to add a bibliography to an essay I've written a year ago under timed conditions? :confused:
Has anyone received their St. John's interview dates?
It's been a week since I was asked for an interview, but I still haven't received any details
Reply 9116
Original post by manousha
Me neither. What are you applying for?

ive applied to caius, and all i got was an email directly from the college confirming they have my application
Original post by lk2011
Sorry, I meant to quote this in my last post! I was wondering this about the Data Protection form but yeah I've checked everywhere and there doesn't appear to be a deadline! I haven't posted mine yet... :redface: I REALLY need to do that haha.

There's a deadline for the Fee Status Questionnaire though- it needs to be in by the 2nd December (I think). It says it somewhere in that enormous e-mail of forms (4 attachments!) that was sent yesterday. Oh and the written work is due on the 21st of November as far as I remember.

Is the Fee Status Questionnaire for Queens'!?!? I never got one! :s-smilie:
Reply 9118
Add me to the wiki if you can be bothered, I would do so myself but if I fouled up it would be obvious that I had made the error; don't want to let the competition think I'm incompetent and oblivious.

Course: Economics
College: Fitzwilliam
GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
AS levels: AAAAA
UMS Average: 98.33%
Predictions: A*A*A*
(edited 12 years ago)
How many attachments did other people get from Queens' in that email?
I got Data Protection Form and Information Notes for Applicants. Are there any others I should have got?
Fee Status Questionnaire? Didn't get that one. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending