The Student Room Group

Do GCSE grades really matter...?

Right now I can estimate that I'm going to get about 4 C's (english included) 4 B's and 1 A*, 1 Distinction (IT)
I'm only really good at Maths and i'll probably take engineering or banking for uni... but i really want to go to a top uni. I'm getting mixed views from people that '''No they are only used for A Level'' and ''Yes, of course''.

If I were for example to get:
C- English
A- Math
B - Science
B - Science
D -
D -
D -
D -
E -
F -
Then at A-Level get AAAA*
Would I still have a chance or am I doomed?
I applied to do accounting and finance this year with 3A's and got rejected by a few for not having a GCSE grade B in english.
English and Maths GCSE's are really important.

Matter of fact, they all are if some way or another.

You just need to make sure you pick the right ones, for the job you have in mind.
It all depends on the subject you want to study and the universities you apply to. Medicine at Oxford? Yes they matter. Media a TVU? No.
Reply 4
It doesn't bode well for a level grades of AAAA* at A level if you're unwilling/unable to put in the work for a few A/A* grades at GCSE, let's put it that way.

GCSEs can be used as a decider between otherwise equal candidates. Many universities have minimum GCSE requirements. Of course they matter. Work hard and get the best grades you can. :colonhash:
You know, everyone says GCSE are pointless after you leave school - but there's really no harm in doing well in them to be fair. Get the English and Maths up and try your hardest to pass the rest, even if you don't need them.
Reply 6
Not as important as A Levels, but still important. Thinking a bit further on, some graduate jobs require you to have at least a B and sometimes an A at GCSE in both Maths and English.
you really want at least B's if you want to go to a really good University, especially since with Engineering and Banking there aren't as many or as good work experiences as things like Medicine or Computer Science

get a load of revision guides and study a lot if you want to get in
Reply 8
Work to improve English, especially English language. B's at the bare minimum. Invest in the English CGP guides if you're not good at essays, they've got some model ones in there that my friend found useful.
Applying to a top uni requires you to get good GCSEs at least. I know someone who was very close to getting a place in a top uni and the uni was very close about picking him (they were comparing him with another applicant), and they looked at his GCSEs and didn't get in because of that. It's better to be safe than sorry and just do your best.

Quick Reply

Latest