The Student Room Group

Question regarding my AS results

I got my AS results today:
Maths C1 - A (100)
Futher Maths M1 - A (97)
Physics 1 - B (84)
Chemistry: Chemistry For Life - B (65)

I'm looking to apply to Cambridge University to do Maths and I'm going to resit Physics to get an A, but I'm only going to do Chemistry at AS. So will it be necessary to resit Chemistry to get an A and then drop it, or will it be okay to have a B?
Reply 1
I know one guy at my college who got a place at Oxford for Maths with AABC in his ASs and not great GCSEs. He even got a B on FP1.
Cambridge's view can't be too different...
Reply 2
Original post by kasiasunshine
I think it'll be okey to just leave Chemistry as a B, usually the offers are AAB, and the 4th AS it's only for UCAS points really. :smile:

Cambridge AAB? Since when? Hasn't been like that for years.
Reply 3
Original post by kraid

Original post by kraid
I got my AS results today:
Maths C1 - A (100)
Futher Maths M1 - A (97)
Physics 1 - B (84)
Chemistry: Chemistry For Life - B (65)

I'm looking to apply to Cambridge University to do Maths and I'm going to resit Physics to get an A, but I'm only going to do Chemistry at AS. So will it be necessary to resit Chemistry to get an A and then drop it, or will it be okay to have a B?

Hmm well my friend got into Oxford with AAAC so s'long as your predicted grades are good, you should be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Thomas23
You do realise that Cambridge will know you re-sat physics and it will damage your chances. But for chemistry A is always better than B.

I went to an open day and they said it didn't matter.

Also, I checked the standard offer online and it was A*AA.
Reply 5
Yeah I think it should be fine, so long as you make sure that you focus on everything else and get the grades

Well done BTW, PM me for any advice
Reply 6
So you're sure the B won't make a difference? The main thing I'm worried about is like, applying this year with say 3 A's and the B in chemistry at AS and having a disadvantage compared to someone who say gets 4 A's. Despite the fact that I won't be doing the subject next year and it's grade won't be included in my offer, will the B hinder the application process rather than attaining a place?

I am in a bit of a panic to find out as I have to book my resit(s) by tomorrow.
Reply 7
Sorry to bump but there is a slight urgency.

Quick Reply

Latest