The Student Room Group
A good starting point would be to mention that those two are at odds, the army looking down on the sa and seeing it as threat - so hitler has to pick and take sides. preferably, he'd have them both but he can't, so he sacrifices the SA. that rivarly in itself limits hitler's full range of options.

then you could talk about ernst rohm as a political threat.

mention the damaging effect the SA has on hitler's credibility as a serious politician, given the SA is a thuggish organisation - undermines also his standing with big business.

then talk about the army - how nazified is it? on the one hand, they've sworn personal loyalty, nazified its uniforms, many of the junior officers, rank and file, pretty much nazi. on the other, the old prussian elite is still there - and it is this junker club that ultimately turns on hitler during the war. unlike the civil service, purging by and large did not happen. in essence, although he wins the acquiescence of the army, which remains largely unpoliticised in that period, he doesnt win total or absolute control of it.

that really answers your question. but you could be clever, and say that the SA, or rather, the dissolution of the SA, helped hitler gain some measure of control over the army and win its loyalty. when you do that you question the inherent assumption of the question - that the SA is always an obstacle, and questioning assumptions helps you stand out from the rest. don't forget too it was gone by 1934, and you've got a 33-39 timeframe. i dont know what syllabus you're doing though and if you've got time to do that, but i'd put that in my penultimate paragraph, before rounding up and concluding appropriately.
Reply 2
could i talk about how he consolidation his position through the formation of the DAF and enabling act etc because otherwise it seems that the essay will be really short?

Latest

Trending

Trending