The Student Room Group

Three A's enough?

I'm in year 10 and want to become a doctor. Took triple science and did the modular exams in Jan, just like everybody else.
Got a's in all of them, which is kinda ok. Not trying to diminish people who got the same/lower, just saying I was expecting atleast 2 a*'s. So, I'm thinking about
re-taking chem and bio.

Two questions, when do you re-take these exams? Summer? Someone told me it was in year 11 :s-smilie:

Also, will these results be hindrances in the way of me doing what I want to do? (become a doctor)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
You can retake them in June I think.
tbh I wouldn't bother. I don't know what board you're doing but it would probably be better to work harder at the rest of your exams and coursework. A's are fine for GCSE I think if you're looking at medecin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think universities are too worried about GCSEs as long as you get fairly high grades.
Reply 3
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
tbh I wouldn't bother. I don't know what board you're doing but it would probably be better to work harder at the rest of your exams and coursework. A's are fine for GCSE I think if you're looking at medecin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think universities are too worried about GCSEs as long as you get fairly high grades.

I dared.
did you get As in the multiple choice?
Reply 5
Original post by halii_94
did you get As in the multiple choice?

A in chem
A in bio
A in physics

IPlayThePiccolo
I don't know what board you're doing but it would probably be better to work harder at the rest of your exams and coursework.

Ocr 21st century

I think I'll retake them tbh. Might be the crucial thing that decides whether or not I get into a uni, you never know :s-smilie:

Btw, was 3 marks of A* in both chem in bio. 4 marks of A* in physics
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by OmgItsMeLol
A in chem
A in bio
A in physics

Ocr 21st century

I think I'll retake them tbh. Might be the crucial thing that decides whether or not I get into a uni, you never know :s-smilie:

didnt answer my question..but...if they were multiple choice you could just be better at written exams
i got As in the multiple choice but my grades improved a lot with the written papers and thats the case for a few actually i think :smile:
Reply 7
Depends what the rest of your GCSEs will be like. Don't think any Medical Schools ask for A*s in Sciences, but many will want a good few of A*s or As. If you don't get many you will seriously reduce the number of Medical Schools you can apply to.
A in chem
A in bio
A in physics

Ocr 21st century

^same board as me. I'm in year 11, just finishing up coursework before unit 7 exams... I got two Bs in the first lot of modules I did in year 9 and didn't resit but had a's/a*s on everything else and am still on track for A overall. You sound like a clever person so I'd seriously just concentrate on the coursework etc. you've still got 2/3 of you GCSE left! Sorry for the long post, but I just find it a bit silly for people to resit perfectly good exams for the sake of a few marks. You'll have a lot of revision to do later on!
Reply 9
I'm in year 10 and want to become a doctor. Took triple science and did the modular exams in Jan, just like everybody else.
Got a's in all of them, which is kinda ok. Not trying to diminish people who got the same/lower, just saying I was expecting atleast 2 a*'s. So, I'm thinking about
re-taking chem and bio.

Two questions, when do you re-take these exams? Summer? Someone told me it was in year 11 :s-smilie:

Also, will these results be hindrances in the way of me doing what I want to do? (become a doctor)

I think a*s are only given as a gcse grade not a module grade, if so you could still get an a over all.
Reply 10
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
^same board as me. I'm in year 11, just finishing up coursework before unit 7 exams... I got two Bs in the first lot of modules I did in year 9 and didn't resit but had a's/a*s on everything else and am still on track for A overall. You sound like a clever person so I'd seriously just concentrate on the coursework etc. you've still got 2/3 of you GCSE left! Sorry for the long post, but I just find it a bit silly for people to resit perfectly good exams for the sake of a few marks. You'll have a lot of revision to do later on!

Thanks for the reply. I guess a few marks don't matter, but if I decided to apply to really competitive uni's they might matter :/ A few of my friends are resiting as well, although they're resiting their B's. It's just that I'm REALLY confident that I can get A*'s without much studying. I'll think about resiting as the year progresses, hopefully I'll come to a decision before it comes to me lol
Reply 11
Nothing's good enough for TSR, you should know that
Reply 12
^ True lol
Reply 13
im in year 11, trust me, retake them, you can get A*s in them, i did B4-6 AND C4-6
i think they were wierdly marked tbh,
i was expecting full marks in bio and a rubbishe result in chem
it was the other way round
A* in chemistry (full marks)
A in biology (44/50),
but they were the hardest ones so far according to my teacher
however if you did b1-b3 and c1-c3
its a different story as the grade boundaries were low and apparently the papers were very easy indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest