The Student Room Group

Taking out a loan to travel

Okay, so this summer I've had this idea of going to Canada (and perhaps also the northeast US) for a maximum of four weeks. However, I am a student (obviously), and have had little success finding a job, so times are tight.

Has anyone got any advice on taking out a loan, or similar, for this sort of trip? Thanks a lot. Don't be too harsh - I don't know much about money!
Reply 1
Sounds like a slippery slope to me, not that a bank would be willing to lend money for travelling purporses.

Your best bet would be a working holiday of some sort, or try your hardest to earn some money beforehand.
Reply 2
Doubt you'd be able to get a loan for that. Have you considered a uni exchange program? My sister went to Boston for a couple of months on one and I don't think it cost her too much.
Reply 3
I spent some of my student loan and overdraft on travelling :teehee: Other than that I don't think there are any loans you could get.
Awful idea.

I really don't understand this mindset. Loans are for investments for which you expect to see some sort of eventual return. To blow it on a holiday is just insane and really bad financial management.

If you want to go travelling, earn your own money. If you don't have the expendable money, you can't go travelling. Simple as. I don't get this generations' belief that they are 'entitled' to go travelling.

Madness.
Reply 5
No bank will give you a loan if you don't have a job or regular income
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Awful idea.

I really don't understand this mindset. Loans are for investments for which you expect to see some sort of eventual return. To blow it on a holiday is just insane and really bad financial management.

If you want to go travelling, earn your own money. If you don't have the expendable money, you can't go travelling. Simple as. I don't get this generations' belief that they are 'entitled' to go travelling.

Madness.

The end of my last trip was based on debt - though being good with money it was handled responsibly and it's all been paid off with minimal interest.

Some people (me included) do see travelling as a good investment and I did/do get a return out of it.

Of course the bank wouldn't see it that way, so it would be incredibly hard to get a loan to cover it. I did it through overdrafts.
Original post by callum9999
The end of my last trip was based on debt - though being good with money it was handled responsibly and it's all been paid off with minimal interest.

And you assume that's how it will pan out for everyone else?
And you assume that's how it will pan out for everyone else?

And you assume it won't...

Neither you or me have any idea how well they could manage debt - only they do. It's up to them to make up the decision.

I was just refuting your misguided comments on travelling. You don't see it as important, fair enough, but plenty of people do and you can't just say because you don't see the importance that it is therefore worthless.
And you assume it won't...

Neither you or me have any idea how well they could manage debt - only they do. It's up to them to make up the decision.

I was just refuting your misguided comments on travelling. You don't see it as important, fair enough, but plenty of people do and you can't just say because you don't see the importance that it is therefore worthless.

Well, judging by the fact that OP is currently struggling to get a job, then paying back this loan will be only secured on the assumption that, for whatever reason, they will suddenly be able to get a job upon their return. This makes zero sense to me what-so-ever.

If he/she can't get a job now then flittering around the world on borrowed money isn't going to do anything for those chances.

You go on about travelling being important. This is what I mean by this generation's delusion that they are entitled to travel the world to 'discover themselves'. You're not. It's a pleasure. It's a luxury. If you can't afford the luxury, you can't have it. That is the reality of the world and to do so on borrowed money is completely childish and irresponsible. Can't you delay gratification enough to earn the money yourself?
Well, judging by the fact that OP is currently struggling to get a job, then paying back this loan will be only secured on the assumption that, for whatever reason, they will suddenly be able to get a job upon their return. This makes zero sense to me what-so-ever.

If he/she can't get a job now then flittering around the world on borrowed money isn't going to do anything for those chances.

You go on about travelling being important. This is what I mean by this generation's delusion that they are entitled to travel the world to 'discover themselves'. You're not. It's a pleasure. It's a luxury. If you can't afford the luxury, you can't have it. That is the reality of the world and to do so on borrowed money is completely childish and irresponsible. Can't you delay gratification enough to earn the money yourself?

I could have, I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. Of course anyone with a passport is "entitled" to travel the world. I was short of money, overdrafts are for people who need to borrow some money so I took it, what's the big issue here?

I see where you are coming from with the loan, but borrowing money to do things full stop isn't irresponsible. That's the entire point of credit.
I could have, I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. Of course anyone with a passport is "entitled" to travel the world. I was short of money, overdrafts are for people who need to borrow some money so I took it, what's the big issue here?

I see where you are coming from with the loan, but borrowing money to do things full stop isn't irresponsible. That's the entire point of credit.

Overdrafts, atleast in the interest of both the bank and the person taking the credit, are for people who need to borrow some money and can realistically pay it back in the future including interest.

Your naive view on borrowing money to buy personal luxuries is a slippery slope to having baliffs at the door and a destroyed credit rating. All for the fact that you are unable to delay gratification like a child.
Overdrafts, atleast in the interest of both the bank and the person taking the credit, are for people who need to borrow some money and can realistically pay it back in the future including interest.

Your naive view on borrowing money to buy personal luxuries is a slippery slope to having baliffs at the door and a destroyed credit rating. All for the fact that you are unable to delay gratification like a child.

Not in the slightest as I'm able to manage debt... Never had baliffs at the door, never had demands for money, never gone over my limits, never paid interest on credit cards, never missed or made a late payment. But no, I'm sure you're right, I will plunge into bankruptcy any minute now...

And just for the record, borrowing money drastically improves your credit rating. If I hadn't gone through periods of borrowing money, my credit rating would be pretty poor at the moment. As it happens, it's very good...

I do still understand where you're coming from, but you don't really know their circumstances. Maybe they have planned how they are going to pay it off from future income (not just "I'll get a job" - maybe things are already set up, i.e. student loans, student overdraft limit increase, gifts etc.). As you've made such a poor judgement on my financial position, I can't really take your word that you know theirs.
Not in the slightest as I'm able to manage debt... Never had baliffs at the door, never had demands for money, never gone over my limits, never paid interest on credit cards, never missed or made a late payment. But no, I'm sure you're right, I will plunge into bankruptcy any minute now...

And just for the record, borrowing money drastically improves your credit rating. If I hadn't gone through periods of borrowing money, my credit rating would be pretty poor at the moment. As it happens, it's very good...

I do still understand where you're coming from, but you don't really know their circumstances. Maybe they have planned how they are going to pay it off from future income (not just "I'll get a job" - maybe things are already set up, i.e. student loans, student overdraft limit increase, gifts etc.). As you've made such a poor judgement on my financial position, I can't really take your word that you know theirs.

And here you are again assuming the same circumstances for OP and encouraging them to spend other peoples' money for frivolous personal luxuries.

And yes, borrowing can improve your credit rating, providing you actually pay it off. Which is the point of this thread.

We're both making assumptions about OP's financial position. But, if he has planned how he can pay it off with future income, he should just wait until he has secured those assets and then travel instead of doing it off credit.

If he hasn't planned ahead in regards to future income then he shouldn't be travelling at all.

By the way, more loans isn't planning ahead :facepalm:
I know this is out of date but GodsppedGehenna you need to get a life!! You clearly lead a boring life limiting yourself only to what your money will allow you to do, how sad. I could not imagine living my life like that, in life you have a follow your dreams and take risks that's that only way of truly living. You are allowing money to control what you do in life how limiting your life must be.
Yes of course you have to have a sense of responsibility and ensure you can make the repayments but what the point of living half a life because you are too scared to borrow money to follow your dreams. People take out loans for cars, houses, degrees so why is it unacceptable to take one out to have the most valuable life changing experience of your life, you seem really narrow minded.
Sorry, i've just researched something for my sister and came across this comment - if anything, what you're saying is madness.

Totally agree with the earn your own money, spend your won money aspect but that's about all i agree with!

This generation are more entitled than most to just get up and go traveling and possibly never come back... Like myself!!

We have more opportunity than ever to go travelling.. a lot more opportunity than past generations!!

Personal experience(shortly) -

- Took out a loan
-Traveled Asia,NZ and Australia
- Settled in Australia
-Got a job
-Paid my loan off
-Haven't looked back!

FYI ... this post was years ago but just in case people (like myself) come across this and are doubting themselves!! DO IT... you're more 'entitled' to than anyone ... do it while you can!

as cliche as it is.. you do only live once.

Quick Reply

Latest