The Student Room Group

A level english lang/lit help!

I am currently putting the final touches on my coursework. I had to pick
two extracts from two books and compare and contrast them on a set theme. However, I JUST read on AQA's website that: "Candidates who select from across whole chapters or even across the whole text should
be heavily penalised." Can someone please explain what this means, as I am afraid I did do this. Just want to make I understand what it means before I know wheter I did it or not.

Thanks.
Original post by Muffinblues
I am currently putting the final touches on my coursework. I had to pick
two extracts from two books and compare and contrast them on a set theme. However, I JUST read on AQA's website that: "Candidates who select from across whole chapters or even across the whole text should
be heavily penalised." Can someone please explain what this means, as I am afraid I did do this. Just want to make I understand what it means before I know wheter I did it or not.

Thanks.

I think it means if you use a whole chapter as evidence to support a point and do not quote individial sentences. You could look at AQA's examiners' report and see if it is highlighted there.
Reply 2
I think it means that you should focus on two extracts only. The extract will probably be a few paragraphs you've really focused on, quoting and analysing, not moving on to picking sentences from across the book. Just make sure you've defined two clear extracts and you are quoting only them.
Reply 3
I'm sure it's fine if you've referred to the rest of the text in passing or to explain certain points. I think they just mean that the main focus should be on the two extracts you've chosen. :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest