The Student Room Group

Glasses Make My Eyes Look Big!

So, I wear glasses similar to these:

I only really wear them when I'm doing a lot of reading at uni. But they definitely make my eyes look massive and it puts me off wearing them :/

I look like this: :eek:

Does anyone know if anything can be done about it? They are my first pair of glasses so I didn't really expect/ask anything about this originally. If it makes a difference, I'd class them as thick framed glasses. Is it simply changing the lens or is it the fact that they're thick framed the issue?

Any help welcomeeee! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure why it does it, but it did to me too.. this and the fact i hated how i looked in glasses just made me switch to contacts :P
Reply 2
mmm I'm not too fussed about the look, I quite like it actually! I did consider contacts but:

1: Poking my eyes makes me feel sick!
2: I don't really wear glasses that much so I thought contacts would be a waste!
Reply 3
Original post by Rybee
mmm I'm not too fussed about the look, I quite like it actually! I did consider contacts but:

1: Poking my eyes makes me feel sick!
2: I don't really wear glasses that much so I thought contacts would be a waste!

Ha i get you, i get that a lot when people see me put them in and take them out.

Hmm.. so your eye sights not that bad then? just bad enough to need for reading?

Only thing i can suggest is visiting local opticians and trying on other pairs and seeing the effect? :P
A lot of girls find the Harry Potter look lovely. :P
Reply 5
Long sighted lenses (that sounds weird but you catch my drift) tend to make the eyes look bigger, for some obscure reason, while short sighted lenses do the reverse. So changing the frames probably won't make much difference I'm afraid.

Anyway, big eyes are cute.
Reply 6
Yeah it's generally good really, I study law so the reading can be quite heavy and they do take a hammering after a good few hours of reading and they strain quite easy so I wear glasses if I were to be studying for quite a while. Which I must say, doesn't seem to be too often... eek!

Harry Potter look...? Can't say I'm such a fan :P

Yup I am long sighted so I guess that's why. Big eyes are cute. but BIG eyes... :| !
Reply 7
maybe its the thickness of your lenses? have you got full on 'jam jars'? i get the special thinned down lenses to avoid the bug eyed look :smile:
Big eyes are cute! Period. :P

Btw, I'm not a fan too. I was just saying.. :P
Reply 9
Yeah, they're fairly thick as the glasses are quite thick rimmed so i guess they'd have to be to fit in. My actual prescription is minimal though, it's not like I need huge milk bottles because I'm blind as a bat. I actually paid a hell of a lot for the lenses so I'm not too sure what to do. Might pop back in tomorrow and seek help (:

Big eyes may be cute, but seriously, they're BIG!
Reply 10
smaller frames - john lennon stylee, keep them pushed back rather than on the tip of your nose - also I think you can pay more and get the lenses ground out of super plastic which come out thinner than glass ones and give you a less weird bug-eye appearance.
Reply 11
Aye, I've read about plastic lenses... Will have an ask tomorrow.
Reply 12
Saaaame. Although I wear glasses 24/7 so I'm sort of the other way around- I find taking my glasses off makes them look teeny :frown:
But to be fair I'm a girl, and girls are supposed to have bigger eyes :rolleyes:
Reply 13
This is because the frame is big. If you pick a small and more round frame it will minimize the effect. I am not sure about the high index, some claim that it makes the eyes not look big or small (didn't notice a difference between my glasses).

If your prescription is minimal it shouldn't make a huge change.
Reply 14
before i see the content,I thought you said that the contact lenses,But the glasses could give a different feeling
Reply 15
Original post by Kathy89
This is because the frame is big. If you pick a small and more round frame it will minimize the effect. I am not sure about the high index, some claim that it makes the eyes not look big or small (didn't notice a difference between my glasses).

If your prescription is minimal it shouldn't make a huge change.

I can't explain it - the lenses must have the same power, maybe they just look less 'milkbottley' and therefore draw less attention :unsure:
It's because you're long sighted. Changing the frames/lenses won't help at all. That's just what happens when you wear glasses.

Hell, I'm extremely short sighted and my glasses make my eyes look tiny. It's horrible. I'd much rather have 'biiiig' looking eyes than two little pinholes!
Reply 17
Original post by Joinedup
I can't explain it - the lenses must have the same power, maybe they just look less 'milkbottley' and therefore draw less attention :unsure:

So more likely the power is not that minimal, however, anyway plus lenses make much more noticeable change then minus...

Original post by Ilora-Danon

Hell, I'm extremely short sighted and my glasses make my eyes look tiny. It's horrible. I'd much rather have 'biiiig' looking eyes than two little pinholes!
I have that feeling with about -4, I can only immagine what it's like with your prescription.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've just found out I need to wear glasses. I'm shortsighted, so my eyes are going to look smaller. I've got fairly big eyes anyway so hopefully it won't make too much of a difference. Just need to decide which frames to go for- maybe this will affect how much smaller they look.
I've chosen my glasses today & gone for some that are rimless at the front with thicker frames at the side. I've been told that them being rimless should lessen the effect of making my eyes look small, even though its a pretty strong prescription. Don't know how it would work with longsighted lenses though.

Quick Reply

Latest